0
   

How desperate can a christian get?

 
 
Arella Mae
 
  4  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 07:43 am
@maxdancona,
It's an issue of common decency as far as I am concerned.
djjd62
 
  2  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 07:55 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I would also point out that if you mock me, you in know way take away my rights. I can ignore you. I can mock you back. There is no reason that I can't hold on to my beliefs.

This is not an issue of rights.



absolutely right
0 Replies
 
djjd62
 
  2  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 08:53 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

It's an issue of common decency as far as I am concerned.


then don't participate, he's not saying you should, only that you can, and, if you were completely honest about it, it does no damage

if my mocking your faith/belief, makes any kind of impact on you, your faith/belief isn't very strong
farmerman
 
  4  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 09:14 am
@maxdancona,
They did the same thing with Steven HAwking . In fact, the script is vaguely similar.

Its a dumass attempt at humor. It is a bit on the tatsless side but, you tube doesnt have to draw you in. Its better to have lives in which we can play undisturbed.
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  4  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 10:09 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Who are you or who am I to question someone's religious beliefs? Everyone has a right to their religion. Now, if that religion contained human sacrifice I could see a problem.

Your last sentence takes away from and is in direct contradiction to your first two sentences.

Quote:
I believe what I believe and I give others the same right that I have. I don't have to agree with their beliefs but I don't have to make fun of them either.

Refer to your posts to Bill in the rape thread.

Quote:
That just goes to "mocking someone because they are different". If we do that as a society, I don't see we've progressed very far.

Refer to your posts to Bill in the rape thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My intention with this post is only to point out to you that tolerance is a two way street and we are not always the final authority on what is discussed or how people react to different situations
Intrepid
 
  3  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 10:11 am
@Intrepid,
BTW...I did not look at the video.
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  3  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 10:14 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Who are you or who am I to question someone's religious beliefs?


most importantly, do you question/challenge your own religious beliefs, and do they stand up to the questioning/challenges

I think that if our beliefs stand up to our own questioning, we should have no problem at all with anyone else questioning our beliefs.
0 Replies
 
Arella Mae
 
  3  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 10:51 am
Okay whoa! When I said who are you or me I didn't mean that in a snotty or sarcastic way at all. I was honestly asking a question.

I wasn't trying to start anything with anyone.
0 Replies
 
Arella Mae
 
  3  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 10:54 am
@Intrepid,
I have apologized to Bill a couple of times because I did get so angry at him and I was not right with some of the stuff I said. Even if someone is a pervert I don't have to be snotty enough to say it and I was wrong.

I am going back to the animal threads. I don't want to argue with anyone but I don't seem capable of having a conversation without upsetting others when it comes to the S&R thread.
maxdancona
 
  2  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 11:47 am
OK Arella,

Let's look at some specific examples. I think this number has incredible artistic merit in addition to being incredibly funny.

What do you think of this Arella? Is this acceptable, or is this bad because it mocks peoples sincere beliefs.


Arella Mae
 
  4  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 12:33 pm
@maxdancona,
I find that to be in extremely bad taste. As I said, I really think some things are more a matter of common sense.

There are plenty of preachers out there preaching things I believe to be contrary to the bible. I don't have the right to mock them. What I can do is express my views and explain why I feel a certain way. I don't think anything is gained by mocking someone or belittleing them. I know that when I find myself doing it, I don't care much for myself at the time. There is a pretty fine line I think when it comes to things like this. We can either want to police too little or too much.
farmerman
 
  3  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 12:38 pm
@Arella Mae,
How about "Life of Brian" where the Roman and Brian are having a discussion about declining verbs, or the scene where they argue over his sandal. Also, who can forgt

BLESSED ARE THE CHEESEMAKERS!

How about "Buddy Jesus" in The LAst SCion?
maxdancona
 
  1  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 12:52 pm
@Arella Mae,
Well Arella,

It seems like we are pretty far apart on this one in fact I choose it as the easiest example for us to agree on. If you don't agree that mocking Nazis is OK, I don't think we will ever agree.

Mel Brooks is a genius.

0 Replies
 
maxdancona
 
  1  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 01:09 pm
@farmerman,
This one is pretty funny in an appropriate sort of way.


0 Replies
 
electronicmail
 
  2  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 01:31 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Obesity, ethnicity, homosexuality, genetic conditions, ugliness or age are not sacred.

The word sacred refers to the idols that society sets up.

You're wrong. Run a checklist for victims of crimes Y/N getting extra protection:
Obese, N
Ethnic, Y
Homosexual, Y
Genetic defects aka handicapped Y
Ugly, N
Old, Y

Religion is a Y. The original 14th applies to the Ns. The Ys get 14thPlus.
0 Replies
 
electronicmail
 
  3  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 01:40 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Arella Mae wrote:

It's an issue of common decency as far as I am concerned.


then don't participate, he's not saying you should, only that you can, and, if you were completely honest about it, it does no damage

if my mocking your faith/belief, makes any kind of impact on you, your faith/belief isn't very strong

Arella is right. The law in the US lets you sue for psychological damages if you're insulted for your religion, ethnic origin, and so on. I guess the fat and the ugly can't sue but I'm not sure. I think some states protect them.
maxdancona
 
  2  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 01:57 pm
@electronicmail,
Quote:
The law in the US lets you sue for psychological damages if you're insulted for your religion, ethnic origin, and so on.


This is a lie.

Go ahead, sue me.
0 Replies
 
djjd62
 
  4  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 03:53 pm
@electronicmail,
people should learn not to be insulted

keep in mind, i'm not talking about hate here, something like Don Imus getting fired for calling the Rutger's girls nappy headed ho's is a far cry from advocating violence, folks have to learn to not be so thin skinned
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  4  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 04:21 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

I have apologized to Bill a couple of times because I did get so angry at him and I was not right with some of the stuff I said. Even if someone is a pervert I don't have to be snotty enough to say it and I was wrong.

I am going back to the animal threads. I don't want to argue with anyone but I don't seem capable of having a conversation without upsetting others when it comes to the S&R thread.



I am not arguing with you. I am just presenting another point of view on what you wrote. None of us is perfect and we can all learn from each other. We may not always like the outcome, but that does not make the outcome wrong.

Also, I am not saying you should not write, think or say it. I am just saying that we should be consistent and not pick and choose what is offensive and what is not.

P.S.
I have posted things to BillRM that I do not apologize for.
Arella Mae
 
  4  
Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 04:57 pm
@Intrepid,
I am sorry if I implied that you were arguing with me because I know you weren't. To tell the truth, I've been feeling really badly about the things I said to Hawkeye and Bill. Then when this thread came up I started feeling like a real hypocrite because I don't have a right to treat them like that. I should just dust off my feet instead of stomping all over anyone.
 

Related Topics

What is the most valuable thing you own? - Discussion by BumbleBeeBoogie
Has there been a roll call? - Discussion by gustavratzenhofer
Here's another Trump thread... - Discussion by tsarstepan
Should I be offended? - Question by the prince
Is A2K A Religion? - Question by mark noble
Top o' the Mornin' to Ya! - Question by Transcend
8/31/05 : Gas Prices - Discussion by Ken cv
 
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 11/17/2019 at 12:48:48