Left hand -- meet right hand! Bush style!

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 08:44 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,088 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:39 am
It's mind-boggling that the Bush team would be so petty re these contracts at the same time the U.S. should be trying to rebuild some sort of western alliance. Absolutely mind-boggling...
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:44 am
Frank,
I believe that you are misunderstanding what happened and why. This kind of thing happens when the military is irritated about the way the Administration is handling a situation.
Our military establishment, unlike those of other countries, don't assassinate our leaders, don't stage military coups and don't have direct representation in our government. BUT when the higher ups aren't listening to what is being said by the military commanders, they will 'accidentally' say something to the press that might cause some embarrassment to the Administration just to 'get their attention' and make them realize that they need to start listening to the military people about the solutions to situations.

As one U.S. General once said:
The U.S. military is an excellent hammer. But not all problems are nails.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:47 am
Lest you forget, the civillian elected officials are in charge of the military, not the other way around.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:51 am
Hobit is right on that, Fedral.

But you made a good point.

What do you suppose the Pentagon was trying to say?

Or, if you prefer, what do you suppose Paul Wolfowitz was trying to say?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:54 am
Thats exactly my point Hobit and Frank.
The military KNOWS that the civilians are in charge and wouldn't have it any other way.
BUT when professional soldiers are unhappy with a situation that the civilians have put them in and feel that the civilians aren't listening to them, they do little 'oopsies' like this to let the civilians know they are unhappy.
Thats the point I'm trying to make.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:56 am
If it's any consolation, I understood your point and I think they did to. They are just being obstinate.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 11:06 am
Nice to see that you are willing to give your fellow forum-members the benefit of the doubt in any case which is not completely clear, McG.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 12:00 pm
Hey, I'm a giver, what can I say.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 01:05 pm
So, if I understand this correctly, the US military made this call? I love it. This was the administration that started out with the idea that everything would be structured from the top down, no leaks, highly disciplined. Seems to be unraveling now, as it had to...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 01:08 pm
I wouldn't go to that extreme. Seems that Wolfowitz doesn't want to keep his job is all...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 03:30 pm
McGentrix wrote:
If it's any consolation, I understood your point and I think they did to. They are just being obstinate.

I was just starting to think that some of your posts have been getting more thoughtful, McG -- and then you say something stupid like that.

I did not understand the point.

And since the gaff (or message) was made (or sent) by Wolfowitz, a civilian, the point should have been obscure to everyone.

Shape up.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 05:05 pm
Foot in mouth.
Then they take it out and shoot it.

Dubya is clueless. He merely follows orders and tries to read the speeches.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 06:02 pm
This just in: The Pentagon is accusing Halliburton of price gouging. I consider myself as cynical as the next guy, but that's too rich...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 06:19 pm
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:46 pm
Bremmer the New King of Iraq.
Bremmer is the new King, He and his elite live in palace spleandour while most of the Iraqies live in poverty and the American troops live in constant danger in tents.

The Iraqies know about this but the American people do not.

King George and his band of bundling thieves need to be ousted. Too bad they cannot be prosecuted.
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:57 pm
This might just be a ruse to create some leverage and bargain-power for Mr. Baker in his new endeavors.

The security issue raised in the memo is perplexing, which uses the following "finding" to argue the necessity of limiting competition:

Quote:
It is necessary for the protection of the essential security interests of the United States to limit competition for the prime contracts of these procurements to companies from the US, Iraq, Coalition partners and force contributing nations. Thus, it is clearly in the public interest to limit prime contracts to companies from these countries

Full memo
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 08:00 pm
gravy said:
Quote:
protection of the essential security interests of the United States

so we are saying we need to protect our "security interests" from fellow members of NATO? Gravy I also find it perplexing.
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 08:04 pm
Just to be clear, the quote from my post is transposed from the memo.

I don't want any "credit" for Mr. Wolfowitz's statements.

but to answer your question, it sure seems like we are treating allies like insubordinate subordinates.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 08:06 pm
understood
0 Replies