Colonial America

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:33 pm
I have been asked to answer these two questions and can't really come up with any significant responses. Any help finding some topics to write about would be greatly appreciated.

1.Across the early moder world, the movement of people and creation of new communities created people who lived "in between" or who crossed between groups. Address the experiences and significance of three specific individuals.
-So what I'm really asking with this prompt is what three individuals could I really focus on? I thought of Roger Williams but I'm not sure if he's even a strong example.

2. Describe two instances in which native populations controlled interactions with Western Europeans.
-Again, I can only really think of the Plymouth Colony and this is, again, not too strong of an example.

Any ideas?

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,009 • Replies: 10
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:47 pm
@tcook215,
Sor question two, Id look a little further south than MAss Bay
Green Witch

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:53 pm
@farmerman,
Jamestown, perhaps?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 04:24 pm
@tcook215,
How about folks like Daniel Boone? Or, Davy Crocket if you aren't restricted to the 18th century. Frontiersmen and traders would be your best bet.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 05:50 pm
@tcook215,
tcook215 wrote:

1.Across the early moder world, the movement of people and creation of new communities created people who lived "in between" or who crossed between groups. Address the experiences and significance of three specific individuals.

The classic examples would be Tisquantum (aka Squanto), Pocahontas and John Smith. Do you need people less famous?
Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 06:01 pm
Another such example would be James Cook and Omai.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 06:03 pm
@tcook215,
tcook215 wrote:

I have been asked to answer these two questions and can't really come up with any significant responses. Any help finding some topics to write about would be greatly appreciated.

-So what I'm really asking with this prompt is what three individuals could I really focus on? I thought of Roger Williams but I'm not sure if he's even a strong example.

2. Describe two instances in which native populations controlled interactions with Western Europeans.
-Again, I can only really think of the Plymouth Colony and this is, again, not too strong of an example.

Any ideas?

Thank you
There was a couple of Europeans of that time, an Irishman and a Englishman who were adopted into the Six Nation Iroquois... I have loaned those books without return... Cadwallider Colden, I think was the name of the Englishman, and he wrote a history of them, sort of... The Irishman's name escapes me, but they are still trying to get back some of the land he sold off from under them...
0 Replies

tcook215

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 05:22 pm
@Green Witch,
yes perhaps some people a little less famous, but just as significant. if there are any
0 Replies

idempotent1729

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 12:57 pm
@Green Witch,
What about the Lewis and Clark expedition, and Sacagawea? Actually weren't there even more examples in the Lewis and Clark expedition, like didn't they need to stay with a group of Native Americans in the Dakotas overwinter?
0 Replies

idempotent1729

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 12:59 pm
Also - what about Mary Jemison?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 01:07 pm
@tcook215,
tcook215 wrote:

Any ideas?

Thank you

Something tells me you're not from the Midwest. If you were, you'd know about the interactions between the American Indians and the settlers.

Imagine riding a stagecoach through snow drifts and a temp of below zero degrees. Imagine not changing your long-johns during the whole Winter...
0 Replies