What's the worst job you've ever had?

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:41 pm
Here's something scary...get a piece of scrap paper and make two columns. Label one column "yes" and the other "no." Look back through the posts so far in this topic and assign each crappy job to one or the other column depending on whether you think some poor schmuck had to endure the same torture today somewhere in the US.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:46 pm
Restaurant management. Man it sucked. And I found that I had a character disorder that prevented me from being sucessful.

A personality. Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:49 pm
Hmmm, I wonder if fecal smears have been mechanized since 1965...
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:08 am
Yes gus, I have and he's never been right since....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:13 am
I'm walking with that damn limp even to this day...
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:20 pm
Oop there you are ... that's what you get for jumping off the wardrobe.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 02:31 pm
BPB, you should have been a chef then. They're allowed to go psychotic cuz they ain't seen. I once sorted fabric samples for a summer. Then there was a brief period where I attached those "do not remove" tags on mattresses. For hours I would think, why attach them if they are not supposed to be removed? It nearly made me mental.
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 02:32 pm
http://www.worstjob.com/2002.html

Quote:
ASBESTOS REMOVER - I by far have the worst job. All day I crawl around in dirt, grime, spiders, etc., all the while in my underwear with an air tight suit and a very uncomfortable respirator with millions of asbestos fibers floating around me in my hair, eyes and so on. This is by far the worst. I would be a prison guard any day of the week over an asbestos remover. Ps. Did I mention taking showers with other men at the end of the day?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 02:36 pm
I think Norm McDonald nailed the worst job ever: "Assistant crack whore."
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 05:46 pm
I would think that both the worst and the best occupations are parenting.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:14 am
My worst job was a kind of temping situation, working on a file destruction project for an insurance company. We had to go through files and take our material more than a certain age -- perhaps ten years. Reaching up to pull a file from a shelf, some gunk fell into my eye. I developed an infection from it. Not worth it!

I currently work in retail at WilliamsSonoma and earned $4, 225 for the year. I also substitute taught for a total of 35 days at $60 a day. While I like the work (teaching), I hate the job because I hate being called at 6:00 and I hate still being a substitute, second-best, an also-ran. Believe me, I need change . . . soon!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:36 am
Thought of another bad job. I was 24 and a part time graduate student at Wayne State University. I had been a social worker but left that job to student teach and I worked at the university book store while waiting for a teaching job.

I was assigned to the English text buyer, an African Muslim named Etim Ukpo. I was so happy to work for a person from another culture and thought I would learn so much. This man was an idiot. The storage area was a mess; he was often late in ordering books and he spent most of his time in the cafeteria reading The Wall Street Journal. In some ways, he was more "American" than I was.

I worked with the younger sister of a friend from my Marygrove days, Margaret, a dancer who majored in English. Margaret and I had attempted to put the store room in order. Etim objected. He preferred that we search out books, sometimes for an hour or more, every time a customer called for something not part of the current curriculum.

Two days before the fall semester, we discovered that Etim hadn't ordered books for the university's most famous prof, who was also an extremely nice man. Margaret and I were incensed. The assistant manager of the store, a tough woman who actually ran it, urged Margaret and I to stick to our plans and order the department.

Etim would scream at us, "You are the students and I am the buyer." We woud scream back, "Then buy, Etim. You don't place all the orders. This place is a mess."

As you might imagine, a disorderly stockroom is also a dirty place and Margaret and I emerged each day, smudged and sweaty. We were two hippie chicks but that did not mean we enjoyed being dirty or that we believed in leaving work undone.

One day, Margaret showed up in a dress. "I want to be pretty," she explained. That day, she registered with a temping agency and a week later she left to do secretarial work.

The manager of the store was a man who looked like the actor Edmund (is it Edward?) Herrmann who portrayed Franklin Delano Roosevelt and was said to have made a career of playing "troubled aristocrats." He supposedly had an Ivy League education and had the post because of some old boy machinations, or so the rumor ran. He also wore a black eye patch and, as far as I could see, did less than Etim. The only work I ever saw him do was attempt to discipline Margaret and me for bringing order to the biggest department of the book store. Bolstered by the assistant manager, we held our ground.
0 Replies

existentialcarousel

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:55 pm
Wow, some of these jobs really *do* suck ass. I agree with whomever said Parent is the best and worst job ever.

My worst job had to be a CNA at a nursing home. I mean I thought that changing diapers for three children would be enough experience to get me through those long days of grown adults regurgitating their softened rice and mashed chicken salad or how huge the results were that came out the other end, but I was very wrong. It was the most disgusting job ever. The funniest day came when an older gentleman in his wheelchair (paralyzed from the waist down) lost his bottom dentures. We looked high and low, but no chompers. Then about an hour later I took him to the bathroom ... you guessed it, he was sitting on his teeth. But I was nice and never said "Mr. Jones I found your teeth firmly embedded in your ass." I just told him I found them in the nightstand.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 04:26 pm
How kind of you.
0 Replies

kisor

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:21 pm
CLEOPATRA MOVIE
Can I ask what the name of that movie was??
0 Replies

kisor

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:23 pm
Cleopatra Movie
What was the name of that movie you were watching?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:26 pm
I built the countries largest travailing roller coaster. Yes folks, everything you ever wondered about me can now be explained.

I was a teenage CARNIE!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:00 pm
Montana wrote:
McDonalds. I lasted 3 days.

Wuss! I did 2 years hard time over the grill!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:12 pm
Let's see.....worst job.

Hmmm, gotta to be shovelling chicken poop a million years ago. That was before McD's.

Mind you, during the course of my present job as a meter reader, I spend countless hours stepping in doggie doo-doo. It adds charm to the work. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:18 pm
Dishwasher
0 Replies