What's the worst job you've ever had?

husker

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 12:11 pm
eoe wrote:
Telemarketing. I was there for three months. The same thing happened as with cav but instead of phoning a widow and asking to speak to her husband, mine was a widower. It was a mortifying moment. Thank God he didn't cuss me out.
I ended up being fired from that job for asking, during a company meeting, about commission. I couldn't believe it. It was a major struggle to get up and go there but I needed a job so every morning, I swallowed my pride and went. Only to get fired.
One of life's funny little ironies. Smile

I got fired one time for working to hard - it put to much pressure on the other slobs with more senority.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 12:22 pm
In my lab tech training at Scripps Clinic my first section was Bacteriology/Parasitology. Yes. Every morning I got to take the little cartons of excrement off of the "dummy" and make smears and review them for parasites. Oh well, it was a rite of passage, eh? After four weeks I got to go to hematology and never looked back..
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 12:49 pm
The shortest job I had was one day:
I worked in a bakery in Dublin city-center and I had to serve behind the counter. Not only am I not a huge fan of taking abuse (customer is always right = crap!) but it was go-go-go all day. I finally fell on my face while transporting a large cream-filled & decorated cake from the kitchen to the store and the boss yelled at me in front of everyone and told me he would dock my wages for the price of the cake - which, as it happened, turned out to be all my days wage and then some. I actually owed HIM money for working that day. It was 6pm and I had not had a break all day, was tired, hungry and needed to pee and so I lost it. I yelled back at him that he could go f-himself and I was outta there. Customers milled around to save the scraps of cake on the floor that my face had not mashed into the ground. I left them to it.

However the worst job I ever had (which I lasted 6 months at) was when I worked in a real estate company and the owner was a sex maniac. Back then sexual harassment wasn't heard of. He was a friggin nightmare and I was scared of him. I couldn't take it any longer and at six months I quit. He gave me a bullet in an envelope as my good-bye present! It's a bit more detailed than I'm giving you here but you get the idea!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 12:53 pm
Heeven, now that truly sucks. Given that you are here, I expect you bit that bullet and moved on.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 12:53 pm
I spent 1 summer in the early 80s counting, sorting and validating proxy shareholder voting cards in a corporate proxy fight. Everything was ugly manila punch cards and the room had no windows. I used to head to the swimsuit section of a store right before going home every night, so I could see some colors. Ugh, I haven't thought of that in years.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 02:20 pm
Horrible jobs, I have a litany of them.
Paper router when I was twelve. It wasn't bad in the summer but -30C was more than I could handle.
Church Bingo Hall - age 13- every week someone else was called lucky, the smoke was blue and people were just nasty if you didn't get them a bonaza card toot sweet.
A bar in the hood - crack addicts, hookers and drunks - need I say more.
Telephone sales - lasted 1 day, worst headache ever.
Costco - the most miserable group of people I have ever met or served, I lasted 3 months - I will never do retail again.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 02:42 pm
I had a summer job at a department store that was horrible, but I've had retail jobs at smaller stores that were more fun - an antique/gift shop (the customers could afford the silly things we were selling) and a dancewear shop (fun except for the teenage shoplifters).
0 Replies

Bugger20

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 08:37 am
Prison guard

Lets see I got concussions cuts broken teeth a broken nose urin and crap tossed on me. I had to wrestle around a cell with an inmate who was hep A hep B and HIV postive, while he was bleeding *Shudder*. I had chemical pnumonia from breething in too much mace and pepper spray. I had to cut down dead inmates who decided to end it all. I had to listen to the insane scream for hours on end. I had to listen to baby rapers tell stories. I had to wrestle and fight with the insane the drunk the high and the just plain crazy.

so unless any of you had people at your job who woudl crap in a sock then pee on it then swing it over thier head like the blades of a helicopter spraying a watery mix of fecal matter and urine around a 30 foot arc I think I may win the worst job ever award
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 08:45 am
Sorry, Bugger, but your job doesn't even come remotely close to being the worst job listed on this thread. Yours sounds somewhat entertaining.

The worst so far belongs to Jespah, which she described as...

Quote:
I spent 1 summer in the early 80s counting, sorting and validating proxy shareholder voting cards in a corporate proxy fight.

I'm surprised the woman isn't brain dead.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 08:59 am
hey what about the assemble line of mindless patting Smile
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 09:04 am
Quote:
hey what about the assemble line of mindless patting

I don't know, Husker, for some reason I got the feeling that you actually enjoyed that job. I could feel the pain in Jespah's voice as she summoned the demons from her past.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 09:20 am
I've learned from many of my job, sports, and injuries that pain is in yer head Wink course when yer going 50mph and you hit the steeringwheel and dash board - you wonder about that - after the fact Wink
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 09:25 am
Bugger20 wrote:

so unless any of you had people at your job who woudl crap in a sock then pee on it then swing it over thier head like the blades of a helicopter spraying a watery mix of fecal matter and urine around a 30 foot arc I think I may win the worst job ever award

Wait...but I've paid hookers to do that before...is that weird?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:04 am
yes, slappy!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:13 am
I used to work with chickens, yes I was a cock teaster at Rooster Rama. I used to enrage the bantums before the big bouts, not an easy thing to do. I used to sit on them, dress up like an egg and then I would sit on them and that freaked them out. Those chickens got really confused. They got mad, angry- into the cockpit-man what a fight. But they outlawed that, now you can only see it on cable.
0 Replies

Bugger20

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 11:14 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Sorry, Bugger, but your job doesn't even come remotely close to being the worst job listed on this thread. Yours sounds somewhat entertaining.

The worst so far belongs to Jespah, which she described as...

Quote:
I spent 1 summer in the early 80s counting, sorting and validating proxy shareholder voting cards in a corporate proxy fight.

I'm surprised the woman isn't brain dead.

what part of dead bodies fecal matter urine HIV infected blood pain and beatings is entertaining?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 11:15 am
Bugger, Gustav's pulling your chain.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 02:18 pm
Yeah cav, I did keep the bullet (AND the one that was actually shot at me and skimmed the skin and embedded itself in the door-frame) and it came in handy when police detectives came round some time later and asked if I'd testify in court against him for business crimes and crimes against his own children! I've met many in my time but this guy was pure evil! I was right to fear him. Hate to say it ... but I'm stronger for it. There's not much crap I'd put up with after that little episode.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:10 pm
Quote:
There's not much crap I'd put up with after that little episode.

So, Heeven.... you've dated Slappy?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:13 pm
Dys, don't forget about the bare-baiting......
0 Replies