Absolute truth?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:36 am
@fresco,
mind just this fresco at best you only have the second choice :
because if it is the case there is "no overall picture" then there are no any kind of pictures at all...admitting one and rejecting the other is not acceptable nor coherent by any standard ! ( I am sure you understand what I mean...otherwise we all might as well be speaking into a wall...)
fresco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 09:18 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
That wall is yours !
The very notion of "paradigm shifts" in science involves a Gestaltist reconstruction of "the picture". No overall picture merely implies that the story of this shifting is potentially never ending. (...we're back to "closure" again !)
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 09:24 am
@fresco,
look fresco can´t you actually see that stating one or the other falls in the same trap...you cannot jump to the conclusion (CLOSURE) the description will never end just because it did n´t yet just as I cannot assume it will end before it does...we are working in temporal terms and as long time and space unfold forward the description will not be finished that much I grant correct...
(I just have an enormous appreciation for measurement precision and rigour that´s all...they are the core and soul of our uniqueness...and I also believe I have some insight on what a Function actually is and means, although to where I stand most miss it while thinking that they did get it...)
fresco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 10:26 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
What you want is "a theory"...." an explanation".....a "guiding principle etc".
But according to Wittgenstein, Rorty and Merleau-Ponty, you are not going to get it. All we can do is extrapolate from the history of successive Gestalten and inductively assume that it will continue.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 05:46 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:
Mathematics is based on axioms, not philosophy. So anyone who denies the possibility of an absolute truth is committing philosophical suicide, which is confirmed by the insolubly contradictory nature of the statement, "There is no absolute truth."

Sorry, but that appears to be word salad ! However, of you mean "analytical philosophy has died" following its dissociation from logical representationalism by Wittgenstein, Quine (et al) you are saying nothing new.

No, my word salad means that the statement "There is no absolute truth" is self-contradictory. Which, despite not being new either, is a different word salad than yours.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 05:54 pm
@justintruth,
justintruth wrote:

I am not trying to create a parallel theory for nonexistent objects. Instead, what I am saying is that nonexistent objects and existent ones are essentially the same -- which is why they are both called "objects."
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 06:20 pm

regardless

an absolute truth is that without the sun none of this means anything , absolutely true
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 06:49 pm
@north,
I can see where you are coming from but if you have faith is it not possible for anything that you believe in to be true regardless if it is true or not?

Could truth be subject to interpretation? Could both words "{absolute} and {truth}" both be man made concepts that can mean what ever the definer wants them to mean?

Or do they have to have the absolute meaning that I or you give them?
north

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:03 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

I can see where you are coming from but if you have faith is it not possible for anything that you believe in to be true regardless if it is true or not?

what has this got to do with absolute truth though ?

Quote:
Could truth be subject to interpretation? Could both words "{absolute} and {truth}" both be man made concepts that can mean what ever the definer wants them to mean?

the thing is though , ALL intelligent beings want to have a foundation on which to build a solid foundation of reality and therefore thought

and this solid foundation is there we just have to admit it

we just can't seem to do so

hence our understanding of things is stagnet

Quote:
Or do they have to have the absolute meaning that I or you give them?

truth and absolute in any language has the same meaning and really out come , understanding and seeing the bigger picture ( universe ) as it is
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:15 pm
@north,
Quote:
truth and absolute in any language has the same meaning and really out come , understanding and seeing the bigger picture ( universe ) as it is

Some people would not even accept the possibility that 5/21/2011 was not absolutely judgement day! How can we get them to see this reality that you share?
north

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:30 pm
@reasoning logic,

Quote:

Quote:
Some people would not even accept the possibility that 5/21/2011 was not absolutely judgement day! How can we get them to see this reality that you share?

by hopefully not just listening to those who expouse these kind of ideas but also dig into their credibility
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:36 pm
@north,
I like your response!

Is it possible that I could also misunderstand what absolute truth is as they did?

Is it possible that you could also misunderstand what absolute truth is?
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:40 pm

to add to my above post

belief has nothing to do with a absolute truth

the importance of our star , the sun , has all to do about the absolute truth that without our sun , star , any discussions , anywhere , would not happen and/or be happening , period
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:45 pm
@north,
With my limited frame of reference I would bet on what you are saying to be fact but I do have to admit that I have seen similar odds and I lost my ass!
north

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:58 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

With my limited frame of reference I would bet on what you are saying to be fact but I do have to admit that I have seen similar odds and I lost my ass!

there is no denial , cloak or hiding though of the fact of our star's importance to everything that life has , existence on this planet Earth
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 08:07 pm
@north,
I am in no denial of the suns impact on me but what does that have to do with how others define absolute? If they think things are absolute that are not, how do facts relate to them if they can not perceive them?
north

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 08:20 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

I am in no denial of the suns impact on me but what does that have to do with how others define absolute?

the suns impact is on ALL of us

others then have to define absolute truth based on on this fact
north

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 08:24 pm

Quote:
If they think things are absolute that are not, how do facts relate to them if they can not perceive them?

by thinking over the facts
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 04:44 am
@north,
north wrote:

reasoning logic wrote:

I am in no denial of the suns impact on me but what does that have to do with how others define absolute?

the suns impact is on ALL of us

others then have to define absolute truth based on on this fact

In science, there is no such thing as absolute certainty---only a high level of confidence---there is no absolute certainty even of the existence of the Sun.

We are talking here about philosophical, hence absolute certainty---something fundamentally alien to science, which makes your scientific references useless.
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 04:57 am
@guigus,
But is there really absolute certainty about anything in philosophy?