Absolute truth?

JPLosman0711

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 11:32 am
@Dasein,
When I read being and Time I notice 'something happening' as well, I usually can only read around 2-5 pages at a time before I 'have to' stop.

I have also noticed that the more I read the book, the more 'tolerant' I become and the more I can read in each 'sitting'.

I also had an experience last night of the 'ground' you were speaking of, it was like for a second(very long one, but short if you know what I mean) I stepped into another demension. The 'ground' no longer 'fought' my feet and everything that was going on was sort of 'for' me, as if there were no resistance whatsoever.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 12:33 pm
@JPLosman0711,
Alleluia !
...was that after or before the boose ? Drunk
JPLosman0711

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 05:22 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Not sure, but I am sure it came before your 'report'.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 09:08 pm
@Dasein,
Dasein wrote:

I don't trust Heidegger. I really don't “trust” any philosopher if “trusting” means to take his conclusions at face value as true.

Then tell me: who do you trust? Just yourself? Beware: you'll be disappointed...

Dasein wrote:
'Conclusions' are at the end of thinking. Thinking is where the value is. The value has never been in the conclusions. What I'm saying is that I'm responsible for the value in my my own thinking. I think through for my 'self' what Heidegger or other philosophers are saying until I reach the 'value'. In some cases I have read Socrates, Plato, Kant, Descartes, Aquinas, etc. and found great concepts and theories, but no 'value'. 'Value' for me is when I experience having acquired more freedom to 'be' my authentic 'self'.

Now just ask yourself: isn't this your conclusion? And being your conclusion, isn't it the "end of your thinking"?

Dasein wrote:
When I read Heidegger and I am thinking about what he is saying I follow a couple of criteria.

1) If what he is saying causes me to be confused, I know that what I am thinking about is challenging a conclusion or misconception that I have.

And how do you know that what Heidegger is saying is not simply wrong? Or he just can't be wrong?

Dasein wrote:
Over time I have come realize that my confusion is directly related to my misconceptions.

We have an agreement.

Dasein wrote:
If that happens, I go back to where I started to become confused and re-read it. The vast majority of the time this simple step resolves the confusion. I have found that sometimes my confusion happens because while I'm reading I start to think of something not connected to what I'm reading so, again, I go back and re-read.

What you are describing is just the experience of reading Heidegger enough to understand what he's saying. This is just the beginning: there is a long way from that to knowing if what he's saying is true. Or do you accept everything you manage to understand?

Dasein wrote:
2) If after reading the selection something hasn't fallen into place and given me the experience of ka-chunk, I know from my own experience of my 'self' that I need to set the selection I'm reading aside and re-read it tomorrow. Normally when I do that I get the ka-chunk experience and something opens up for me. (I actually think that something gets resolved and I never have to address it again, freedom).

The only freedom I see there is that from thinking.

Dasein wrote:
So, if what I'm reading creates confusion and doesn't resolve the confusion, it has no value to me.

I don't think you realize how confused you are.

Dasein wrote:
When I began reading “Being and Time” in 1995 I was pretty much oblivious to the process I was going through. I would get to the end of the 389 pages and just start over. Sometimes I would experience a “break-open” and reread the book just to find out what just happened. I never found out what happened because what happened occurred at the level of 'Be'-ing and knowing and not at the level that you and I call the world. I still am not able to 'put my finger on' what happens. I just keep reading because I know something will happen. This is what I call 'trusting your thinking'.

This is trusting Heidegger, not your thinking: you are leaving to him the job of thinking, from which you then become "free." You treat his writings as religious people treat the Bible (why Heidegger instead of Jesus?) This is the same thing the German people did with Hitler: "just follow the guy, and let him do all the thinking - or perhaps that Goebbels guy."

So Hitler, the teacher of Heidegger, could manage to "freely" put all Jewish people within quotes as a remotely far-away "they."

Dasein wrote:
Nobody said anything about trusting me. You should trust your thinking. All I'm saying is that you should make sure that the thinking you're doing comes from your 'self' and not from somebody else's conclusions.

I regret your ignoring that any conversation involves a certain level of trust, without which there is no possible communication. And I regret even more that you confuse trust with intellectual agreement.

The attitude of Heidegger of putting others withing quotes as "the 'they'" endangers the very trust needed by any conversation and isolates him and his followers in their "selves," lonely congratulating themselves for nothing.

Dasein wrote:
Damn! That was a great question.

What question? I didn't see you making yourself any question.
JPLosman0711

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:24 pm
@guigus,
It's almost as if you're looking for an argument, is this the case? If so, why?

What do you expect to 'get' from winning and being 'right'?
0 Replies

Lewis33

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 01:40 pm
@fresco,
By absolute truth I am assuming you mean that to deny the proposition is contradictory. No contingent truths can be absolute.

There are many absolute truths. For example, "All bachelors are unmarried" is an absolute truth. Every point in three-dimensional euclidean space is determined by three coordinates - is also an absolute truth. One could say these are also necessary truths.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 03:52 pm
@Lewis33,
Quote:
"All bachelors are unmarried" is an absolute truth.

Not an absolute truth, unless you would consider "if X= 1 and Y=3 then X+Y=4" to be an absolute truth. But the "if" kind of shoots that down in the takeoff...
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 04:06 pm
@Lewis33,
I contend that some married men are still being bachelors.
0 Replies

Pukka Sahib

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 04:27 pm
@Hermod,
It would take a very great philosopher to know the absolute truth; and yet every day the most casual persons take oath to "tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth"; which probably comes about as close to the absolute truth as may be. At the trial of Jesus, Pontius Pilate asked: "What is truth?" Interestingly, Christ did not answer the question; and in that pregnant pause between thought and decision, there is the unwritten truth of the gospels.

The truth is generally seen, but only seldom heard; and then only rarely believed. Would you know the truth, look for it yourself. For it will take a long time to find someone to tell it to you; and longer still to be convinced of it.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 06:24 pm
@Pukka Sahib,
I am sure that this is not true because I am the least among the great philosophers and I know the absolute truth and I also know that no one will speak up and tell me I am wrong!

The absolute truth is that I can be wrong about the things I think are absolutely true!

I hope that I am not wrong on this one as I have been wrong about many other truths in the past!
Lewis33

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 06:32 pm
I want to know if the proposition "There are no absolute truths" is an absolute. If this proposition is true, then it (the aforementioned proposition) is an absolute. If it is false, then there are absolutes. Either way, there is at least one absolute.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 11:14 pm
@reasoning logic,
If anything we must distinguish between absolute truths and the feeling of certainty.
fresco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 12:02 am
@Lewis33,
....A pseudo-problem equivalent to Russell's Paradox. All that "question" indicates is that binary logic is a sub-field of general semantics.

What I mean by "absolute truth" is the transcendental truth of religion , which Rorty has pointed out is deemed "ineffable". All other "truths" are relative to axioms which are open to revision. A good example of that is the revision of parallel line axioms in Euclidean geoemetry leading to Projective geoemetry.
Lewis33

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 06:22 am
@fresco,
Unfortunately language is all that we have to describe this world. Whether that language is logic, math, or any sub-field of language. If one asks a question using language, then language is what we use to answer it. Any system of communication is going to have a set of absolutes built into it.

I understand your definition of "absolute truth," which extends into the metaphysical. However, I would disagree that these transcendental "absolute truths" are necessarily ("necessarily" is my word) ineffable. Unless you are going to argue what Wittgenstein argued in terms of language and its boundary.
fresco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 01:18 pm
@Lewis33,
I do follow Wittgenstein in matters of language.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 03:14 pm
@fresco,
What I mean by "absolute truth" is what Buddhists and Hindus mean by the Dharma, the Ultimate Reality (or the ineffable Tao) that transcends human understanding, and conflicts inevitably with "human axioms"--I DO consider them to be HUMAN axioms, reflections of our very physical nature. I am, therefore, a skeptic in one sense and a religionist in another.
fresco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 04:51 pm
@JLNobody,
Nous sommes d'accord.
guigus

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 07:13 pm
@Lewis33,
Lewis33 wrote:

I want to know if the proposition "There are no absolute truths" is an absolute. If this proposition is true, then it (the aforementioned proposition) is an absolute. If it is false, then there are absolutes. Either way, there is at least one absolute.

Further, "There are no absolute truths" being true and an absolute truth makes it self-contradictory.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 07:14 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

I do follow Wittgenstein in matters of language.

What about the other matters?
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 07:17 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

What I mean by "absolute truth" is what Buddhists and Hindus mean by the Dharma, the Ultimate Reality (or the ineffable Tao) that transcends human understanding, and conflicts inevitably with "human axioms"--I DO consider them to be HUMAN axioms, reflections of our very physical nature. I am, therefore, a skeptic in one sense and a religionist in another.

How about being skeptical of religion?