OMG. I'm starting to believe hawkeye

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:09 am
Today's headline:

Quote:
Shrinking education funding calls for creative ways to prepare tomorrow's work force

They're no longer students, they're tomorrow's work force.

They aren't kids. They're commondities.

Stop the madness! Down with the collective!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 18 • Views: 14,220 • Replies: 273

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:12 am
Quote:
I'm starting to believe hawkeye

Just shoot yourself.
parados

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:14 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
I'm starting to believe hawkeye

Just shoot yourself.

Shouldn't she shoot a bunch of other people first?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:16 am
I'm going to start with the people who set education policy.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:35 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
They aren't kids. They're commondities.
you're point is?
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:47 am
@boomerang,
Always remind yourself that a stopped watch is right at least twice a day
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:49 am
Have you remarked that kids these days can't read an analog clock or watch? Must be the educational system . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:50 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

that's not precisely news
boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:48 am
@ehBeth,
I think we should worry about them being students now. When they enter the workforce we can worry about them as workers.

I probably wouldn't have been bothered by the headline if it had said "..... educate tomorrow's work force".

I read an interesting thing the other day about just this topic. I'm going to see if I can find it......
chai2

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 12:18 pm
Isn't educating a person in something preparing them to use what they learned, later on in life?

I think you're making too big a deal out of this. As dys said "your point is?"

Students generally go to school to learn how to do something so they can get a good job.
Of course not everything you learn is relating to getting a job, so don't make out that I'm saying that.

But, even learning how to learn is preparing you for when you are out in the world, and need to learn to do something new in your job.

Fact of life is, we spend 8 to 12 hours of our day doing something that earns us money so we have a place to live, and can raise our own families.

A big part of preparing for that is going to school.

They're students, they're the future workforce, they're PEOPLE.
We are all, or have been, all of the above.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 12:22 pm
@chai2,
well don't pass over the fact that I'm an educational elitist snob looker downer.
chai2

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 12:35 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

well don't pass over the fact that I'm an educational elitist snob looker downer.

yes, and don't forget I am hateful to, and about people who don't have the sense of a goose.

probably why we don't like each other so much.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 12:37 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
When they enter the workforce we can worry about them as workers.

too late
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 12:50 pm
Here's the article:

Quote:
.....What we might call the BGUTI principle -- “Better Get Used To It” – is applied to other practices, too...

...Almost by definition, the BGUTI defense ignores developmental differences. It seems to assume that young children ought to be viewed mostly as future older children, and all children are just adults in the making. Education, in a neat reversal of Dewey’s dictum, is not a process of living but merely a preparation for future living....

...This leads us to the most important, though rarely articulated, assumption on which BGUTI rests – that, psychologically speaking, the best way to prepare kids for the bad things they’re going to encounter later is to do bad things to them now. I’m reminded of the Monty Python sketch that features Getting Hit on the Head lessons. When the student recoils and cries out, the instructor says, “No, no, no. Hold your head like this, then go, ‘Waaah!’ Try it again” – and gives him another smack. Presumably this is extremely useful training . . . for getting hit on the head again....

...So if these practices can’t be justified as pragmatic preparation, what is driving BGUTI? One sometimes catches a whiff of vinegary moralism, the assumption that whatever isn’t enjoyable builds character and promotes self-discipline. Mostly, though, this phenomenon may be just one more example of conservatism masquerading as realism. When children spend years doing something, they are more likely to see it as inevitable and less likely to realize that things could be otherwise.

“You’d better get used to it” not only assumes that life is pretty unpleasant, but that we ought not to bother trying to change the things that make it unpleasant.

http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/edweek/bguti.htm
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 12:55 pm
And another:

Quote:
We are living in an age when education is described as an "investment," when school reform is justified by invoking the "need to be competitive in the 21st century." The implication here is that the central function of schools is to turn out adequately skilled employees who will show up on time and do whatever they're told so that corporations can triumph over their counterparts in other countries. (Interestingly, Catherine Lewis, in her book Educating Hearts and Minds, reports that "the metaphor of the school as a factory or workplace where children do 'work,' so common in American schools, was notably absent from the Japanese [elementary] schools" she visited.) But if it is repugnant to regard children primarily as future workers - or, more broadly, as adults-in-the-making - it is worse to see what children do right now as work.

http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/edweek/sdwtl.htm
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 12:56 pm
@chai2,
Hmm... In my view, students go to school in order to learn how to learn. They don't really leave school educated; they leave school educable.
boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 01:00 pm
@chai2,
I guess we'll have to ask dys what he meant. I thought his comment was more of a resigned sigh indicating that it's too bad that children are viewed as commodities.

I'm making to big a deal out of this?

My newspaper, the largest one in the state, had this on the front page, above the fold so I'm guessing it's a pretty big dea.

I quoted a newspaper headline and shouted "down with the collective".
boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 01:18 pm
I actually started this topic in a jokey manner. Others took it seriously so I changed course. However, I do think the headline is representative of how education is viewed whether it was done conciously or not.

(scratches head) Where did engineer's post go?

engineer

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 01:36 pm
@boomerang,
I thought I might not have a proper understanding of what you were trying to say so I deleted it. Apparently I didn't get to it fast enough.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 01:56 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:

They aren't kids. They're commondities

I have long said that the economy was created to advance the needs of humans, but that the current view is that the needs of the economy trumps the needs of humans. What you are seeing in education is the shift from trying to produce happy/whole/functional adults to producing cogs for the economic machine whom are too weak of self to revolt. The teaching to conform to group think by subverting individual will is part of keeping people weak of self.

This is a manifestation of poor prioritizing, as well as a spiritual emptiness.