@boomerang,
Oh aren't those nuts? I found them also quite puzzling (pun intended),
but Jane actually liked them. I guess it's a sort of precursor of the regular
crossword puzzles.
boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 06:31 pm
@CalamityJane,
I love word puzzles!

Not so much word search or unscramble puzzles but they'll do in a pinch! Still, I don't get how they help kids learn anything.

Crossword puzzles I could understand as homework in that it builds vocabulary and spelling. Even anagrams would be good -- or those how many words can you make from this word things.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 07:01 pm
Ha!

Here was the stumper from tonight's homework:

Fill in the blank with the spelling word:

The government adds ___(taxes)___ to the things we buy.

Mo's like all "huh?"

We don't have sales tax in Oregon.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 08:32 pm
@boomerang,
Haha, that's funny, boomer. They should have modified that for Oregon.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 09:20 pm
Hey, boomer. I've been thinking about a discussion we had a while back.

Remember when we talked about public schools providing funds for parents of special needs students to go to private schools? Nobody believed me when I said I'd never heard of it here. Turns out I was right. Oklahoma had no such law until this school year, and our suburban public school districts are refusing to comply. Even Tulsa Public Schools only agreed to pay four or five families that had already signed contracts with private schools based on the new law. They stated in the newspaper this week that they will not pay for any others, and they believe the new law is unconstitutional. It looks like this is going to the state's Supreme Court.

(Sorry to put this here. I couldn't find the older thread.)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 10:07 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Ha!

Here was the stumper from tonight's homework:

Fill in the blank with the spelling word:

The government adds ___(taxes)___ to the things we buy.

Mo's like all "huh?"

We don't have sales tax in Oregon.
We have sales tax in NY, but we have been ASSURED
that it will last only until der Führer
and the Emperor of Japan have been defeated.

(Of course, I trust them.)

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 10:11 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
Hey, boomer. I've been thinking about a discussion we had a while back.

Remember when we talked about public schools providing funds for parents of special needs students to go to private schools? Nobody believed me when I said I'd never heard of it here. Turns out I was right. Oklahoma had no such law until this school year, and our suburban public school districts are refusing to comply. Even Tulsa Public Schools only agreed to pay four or five families that had already signed contracts with private schools based on the new law. They stated in the newspaper this week that they will not pay for any others, and they believe the new law is unconstitutional. It looks like this is going to the state's Supreme Court.

(Sorry to put this here. I couldn't find the older thread.)
Did thay say which part of the Constitution thay believe protects them ?

David
Eva

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 10:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm not an attorney, so I didn't pay much attention to that part. But I will look it up for you since you're interested.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 10:46 pm
OKLAHOMA SCHOOL DISTRICTS REFUSE TO COMPLY WITH NEW SPECIAL EDUCATION LAW — Two Tulsa-area school boards voted to reject a state law that allows special education students to attend private school at the public’s expense. The law, approved earlier this year, allows students with individualized education plans to attend private schools with the funds allocated for the public schools they would have otherwise attended. The Oklahoma State Board of Education has since approved a list of 20 private schools eligible for those monies, 19 of which have religious affiliations. The attorney for the Broken Arrow and Jenks school boards said the law is unconstitutional because it would provide state funds to religious organizations, the legislature is prohibited from funding private education, the state cannot give money to private corporations, and the scholarships to private schools are restricted to special education students. Sources: Tulsa World, Oklahoman (10/5/10)

Also, here's a link to a more current story (10/15/10):
http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=13326199

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 11:02 pm
@Eva,
I see; thank u, Eva

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 07:46 am
@Eva,
Thanks Eva! This should be interesting to watch.

State law v. Federal law always makes for good fireworks.

I thought Oklahoma, being conservative, would support the idea of school vouchers.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:34 pm
Some do, some don't. The problem is that the public schools are already facing massive budget shortfalls and laying off teachers. Pulling money out of the public schools for any reason right now is against public sentiment.
boomerang

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 03:11 pm
@Eva,
With some kids it is less expensive to send them to a private school that is set up to deal with their problems, than it is to keep them in public school and make appropriate accomodations.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 03:48 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
With some kids it is less expensive to send them to a private school that is set up to deal with their problems,
than it is to keep them in public school and make appropriate accomodations.
Has Mo announced a preference ?
0 Replies