OMG. I'm starting to believe hawkeye

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 06:13 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you for that post. I always appreciate when you take the time to give a great history lesson. I wish you had been my history teacher.

I wish I could sit in a corner and listen to you and my brother discuss history. I think I'd learn more in a single serving than I ever learned at school.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 06:16 pm
It amazes me. Well researched history, written even by someone who is only a marginally competent writer, is exciting, absorbing. I just cannot understand how school systems manage to turn it into about the most hated subject in schools.
boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 06:42 pm
@Setanta,
I don't know how they do it either but I know they manage to do it quite well.

I volunteer at Mo's school one day each week. Last week the topic I was there for was the Louisiana purchase -- an exciting story. It was reduced to "Jefferson bought Louisiana from the French for 3 cents an acre".

I mean, come on!

I know they're only in the 4th grade but still....

<sigh>

If the kids ever bother reading about the Louisiana purchase again it will be a miracle.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 06:47 pm
Is this a bad place to say that sozlet's teacher built (herself, by hand) a full-sized covered wagon as part of a unit on pioneers? That sat there in the classroom for the kids to goof around in? And that the kids absolutely adore this unit (and her history units, in general)?

I definitely, definitely feel lucky to be in this district. Hope that kind of quality isn't too rare.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 06:53 pm
The way to make the Lousiana Purchase exciting is to tie it into the story of the Lewis and Clark expedition. One of the best versions i've read is not really the story of the expedition as we know it. It is Lewis and Clark: Pioneering Naturalists, by Paul Russel Cutright. He does an excellent summary of the expedition and its progress, while focusing on all of the new species they identified and the specimens they collected. I highly recommend it.

Another angle would be James Bowie and his land title forgeries by which he tried to make himself rich--he constantly forged land grants documents in the name of Galvez, the last governor of Lousiana before Jefferson made the purchase. (Galveston, Texas is named for that governor, it was originally Galvez Town.) A federal judge in Arkansas threw out almost all of Bowie's claims, and stated in open court that they were blatant and inept fogeries. Bowie decided to get out of Dodge, and went to Texas. The rest, as is usually said, is history.
boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 07:08 pm
@Setanta,
The thing they read didn't even mention Lewis and Clark -- AND WE LIVE IN OREGON! We can drive down the road a bit and see the frikken ruts left in the dirt by the people on the trail!

Oregon has the worst schools. Doonesbury even made fun of our schools. When a comic strip makes fun of you what can possibly be left? We live in one of the "premiere" districts and this school sucks.

Fuckfuckfuckfuck.

<sigh>
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 07:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
However, I don't think it's just current textbooks that whitewash and over-simplify history. That's always been a problem.
That is a different problem then is the current practice of skewing the history that is taught so that it will conform to the moral agenda attempting to be transmitted to the young in schools. Moral indoctrination has been allowed to trump truth, which is a very bad lesson to teach our youth. We have taught that fantasy trumps reality, and to the extent that the youth accept this lesson we as a society will be worse for it. It is as if we are committing suicide as a collective. We are not a rapidly declining superpower through chance, we were always going to decline at some point but we have aided and abetted our own demise.

I think the worst thing that is taught whether intentionally or not is that the problems created by today's technology will be fixed by tomorrow's technology... The problem is not technology, nor the state of technology, but is moral, and the state of our morality..
Fido

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 07:35 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

So, because your educational experience was all regurgitation, then all education is regurgitation?

Certainly, your education did not teach you to think.

Thinking, as you use the word, referes to formal reasoning; and that is never the problem... Children think just fine within the bounds of their understanding.... As with all of us, their reasoning is flawed by the want of knowledge.... We have a prejudice in favor of reason that is all out of proportion to the part it plays in our lives... I am not a rationalist... I neither rationalize nor justify the situation we call life, or reality... To touch upon human nature is to recognize how little a part reason plays in the drama of existence... The age of reason is long gone and dead and it is surprising how little of reason came out of it... The Declaration of Independence stands as an Icon of the age as does the protestant application of reason to mechanics and economy; but behind it lay metaphysics of the most irrational sort... All men created Equal??? The reason the notion had so little acceptence is that it is so irrational and so foreign to irrational feelings on the subject...It is no wonder that the constitution that came out of that conflict gave the force of law to inequality and injustice... People found that as long as they were reasoning on the basis of the metaphyical that they may as well reason to their advantage even if it was in contradiction to their metaphysical raison de etre...

Perhaps if you value thought so highly you might say what Freud of an anti rational age considered its role to be in the mind... For my part, I think the world would be a better place if instantly people could learn to feel and learn from their feelings about the health of their lives and relationships... Reason allows people to live lives detached from reality, in denial of their pain and loneliness...How many people spend their lives, and even give their lives to the escape from reality??? Wouldn't a world where it was safe to feel be a better one in your rational estimation???
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 07:35 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
I think the worst thing that is taught whether intentionally or not is that the problems created by today's technology will be fixed by tomorrow's technology... The problem is not technology, nor the state of technology, but is moral, and the state of our morality

Right on.....faith in technology is standard traditional american optimism, the problem is that we are spiritually empty, we are not in the least bit optimistic that technology will save us. When we teach kids this optimistism and at the same time kids can tell after 2.5 seconds of thinking on the subject that it does not represent true american beliefs the message received is that the adults are full of ****. The adults are not credible nor reliable teachers.

This I think rolls into my "young men are in trouble" thesis, as both women and men expect men to step into our traditional roll of making the world safe for our families. It is the men's roll to protect, even though we pooh-pooh this old expectation now most people still feel this way. But what exactly are young men supposed to do? I think young men feel overwhelmed, under supported and under-appreciated. To many are looking at the mismatch between expectations and resources to accomplish them (to include education) and are deciding to check out.
Fido

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 07:59 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The way to make the Lousiana Purchase exciting is to tie it into the story of the Lewis and Clark expedition. One of the best versions i've read is not really the story of the expedition as we know it. It is Lewis and Clark: Pioneering Naturalists, by Paul Russel Cutright. He does an excellent summary of the expedition and its progress, while focusing on all of the new species they identified and the specimens they collected. I highly recommend it.

Another angle would be James Bowie and his land title forgeries by which he tried to make himself rich--he constantly forged land grants documents in the name of Galvez, the last governor of Lousiana before Jefferson made the purchase. (Galveston, Texas is named for that governor, it was originally Galvez Town.) A federal judge in Arkansas threw out almost all of Bowie's claims, and stated in open court that they were blatant and inept fogeries. Bowie decided to get out of Dodge, and went to Texas. The rest, as is usually said, is history.

Can't believe that after that long post on Napoleon that you would not tie it all together, the taking of Spain from the Bourbons, and selling Lousiana cheap for ready cash....

There are two points I would make with you... The success of Napoleon was such that his code worked to serve the new rising class of Bourgoise at the same time that his armies swept away the old order... Even when the tide receded his victory remained...

History may well be written by the victors, but it is revised by the vanguished... The victors fail as all victors fail because spoils make them rotton and immoral... To survive poverty and oppression people must be more moral, and that morality allows them to survive and ultimately triumph over their former victors... Easy wealth and easy power destroys cultures more fully than defeat, and it lays them open... Defeat causes people to unite, and victory demoralizes... NIetzsche was seeing this fact as well, but he could not understand it because he was himself immoral...Look at the Mamaluks, the possessed ones, in Egypt... They had barely risen when they drove the Mongols from their door, and they took over great areas only to soon become corrupted and weak, and driven in turn from many of their conquests... Nothing fails like success...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 08:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Speaking as the mother of a son it pains me to say this: if young men are in trouble it is by their own doing.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s where it was perfectly acceptable for a man to ditch his family and never look back. I can't even count the friends I had whose dad just walked out the door one day and never came back.

Women were forced to find a way to survive while raising their kids alone, with no help. And they did it. And they raised kids who didn't have dads and who stopped thinking dads were necessary.

This has gone on for a few generations.

So if men want to step back into some kind of traditional role they have a lot of making up to do. It isn't going to happen just because men think it should. Women know better now.

But thats another topic.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 09:29 pm
@boomerang,
I think that you are exactly right, but the son is not responsible for the sins of the father.
Quote:
I grew up in the 60s and 70s where it was perfectly acceptable for a man to ditch his family and never look back. I can't even count the friends I had whose dad just walked out the door one day and never came back

This thing that has happened with our young men did not happen overnight, and did not happen on purpose, and the fathers are culpable as is are the mothers, but we need to get around to owning it. We must do better with the next generation, and frankly, I don't know how that is going to happen.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 03:19 am
Spain ceded the Louisiana territory to France in a secret treaty in 1800. That treaty was negotiated with the Directory, before Napoleon took power. The United States purchased the territory in 1803. The terms of the treaty under which Spain ceded Louisiana to France were only made public weeks before the purchase was finalized. Napoleon did not unseat the Bourbon monarchy in Spain until 1808. These events were unrelated.
Fido

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 05:50 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Spain ceded the Louisiana territory to France in a secret treaty in 1800. That treaty was negotiated with the Directory, before Napoleon took power. The United States purchased the territory in 1803. The terms of the treaty under which Spain ceded Louisiana to France were only made public weeks before the purchase was finalized. Napoleon did not unseat the Bourbon monarchy in Spain until 1808. These events were unrelated.

Thanks for the facts... My reading has been much more related to the revolution, and Napoleon, though I have read on him, and some of him, his Miliatry Maxims for example, and have perhaps three books on the subject sitting, waiting to be read; still all of the details are not complete...Just yesterday I learned something in regard to Napoleon that had reprecusions as late as the Treaty of Versailles... It was forbidden to the Germans to organize for conscription because that is exactly what the Prussians had done under Napoleon's rule, allowing them to bring large numbers of trained men to war in a short period of time.... (from The Weimar Republic and Nazi Germany, by Morris)...

You really have to understand what a bugger Napoleon was to those people... 50 plus years later Bismark was still justifying Prussian Aggression and militarism with reference to Napoleon and the blood thirsty French... If you are looking for any particular titles, let me know... The last mentioned book was bought from MSU Surplus, and it is a wealth of knowledge for a dollar... It pointed out that forbidding conscription made the army into an elite corp of officers and officer material... After ridding itself of Emperor, the civilian government had to rely on the military for its survival, and offer it certain guarantees, and after democracy the percentage of nobility in the military rose rather than fell... As peace goes, the Treaty of Versailles, the whole thing from the pre war negotiations to the cease fire and on was a guarantee of future conflict... Even the Democratic leaders, the Social Democrats, to keep power and thwart revolution empowered the right, the military, the free corps, and gave their government emergency powers waiting only for the Nazis to seize...

I like reading about Napoleon, but I find little to like about him... He was a force of reaction that used the enthusiasm for revolution to destroy all but the smallest of gains for revolution... His actions in Russia show he clearly did not understand his trade, and that Hitler could follow him into the macabre landscape of Russia to be beaten by the elements no person could control is proof that Hitler was no general... Georgraphy is either asset or impediment; but it is never neutral...
Fido

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 06:12 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Speaking as the mother of a son it pains me to say this: if young men are in trouble it is by their own doing.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s where it was perfectly acceptable for a man to ditch his family and never look back. I can't even count the friends I had whose dad just walked out the door one day and never came back.

Women were forced to find a way to survive while raising their kids alone, with no help. And they did it. And they raised kids who didn't have dads and who stopped thinking dads were necessary.

This has gone on for a few generations.

So if men want to step back into some kind of traditional role they have a lot of making up to do. It isn't going to happen just because men think it should. Women know better now.

But thats another topic.

The break up of the traditional family is like the attack on family power generally, and is the result of a thousand years of law recognizing the individual, and individual rights at the expense of communities and community rights... To put the matter simply, communities used to define and enforce the law for their members, and defend their members from others with war, and feud... Without that community control, more law was needed, and more law meant less community control until now, and speaking from experience, children can hold parents and teacher in awe with a threat to dial 911... They have the definitions of individuals with individual rights long before they have a good sense of their purpose and proper use...

What good is a father who has no power and only influence??? Since the law makes certain that he has no authority to demand correct behavior from his child why should he stick around for any abuse??? People are not going to stop having children just because the family and extended family and communities are effectively destroyed... The more law one has the more law one needs until it is the state and legal system that is raising all children everywhere... With community control, the very people who were making the law were enforcing the law and were living with it... Without community control the whole society must suffer an overburden of law that robs from every quality of life... Education money goes into law and punishment... Children protected from parenting by law, and from discipline in school by law in the end become convicts by law, until this country of the free has more people in prison per capita than any other...

Law is a failure... It is not men who have to make up, and figure out how to be good fathers... We all have to find some way to limit the intrusion of law into our lives, and to redefine the individual as a part of a community, and make certain it is communities that have rights, and families that have rights because rights owned by the legal community and excercised for the benefit of individuals does not serve the individual at all, but serve only the legal community in style...The legal community is a parasite...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 07:28 am
@Fido,
I suspect that i understand Napoleon better than you do, for however much i imagine telling you that will piss you off. I would say the same about general European history. All of the European nations had reserve military systems in 1914, except for England. Germany, as was the case in France, Austria, Russian and Serbia, had many more reserve troops than they had professional soldiers in their standing army. Nobody in Europe resorted to conscription until the war was well under way. Unlike France, Austria and Russia, Germany mobilized their reserve troops at the outbreak of war, in order to implement von Schlieffen's plan. (It was quixotic, though, in that they had already modified von Schlieffen's plan, and would wreck it altogether due to their unnecessary panic over the Russian invasion of East Prussia.) In fact, it was the only possible way for Germany to fight a two front war, and reserve troops fought well in East Prussia in stopping the invasion, particularly in the opening battles during which von Pritwitz' eighth army finally stopped Rennenkampf's First Russian Army. The French quickly followed suit, and the Austians, badly embarrassed in their initial attempt to overrun Serbia (remember, the reason that war started?) had to do the same, faced as they were with a Russian invasion of Galicia as they were embrolied with the Serbs. The Russians were the first to use conscription after the destruction of Samsonov's Second Army in the battle which Ludendorf cleverly named Tannenburg.

Essentially, the Germans did not follow von Schlieffen's original plan until their 1940 offensive against France, when their eastern frontier was secure due to the pact with the Soviet Union. I don't know where you came across the contention about conscription, but either the person who wrote that is making **** up, or you did not fully understand what was written. For an clear understanding of the terms imposed on Germany in 1919, the best short work, a recent one, is Paris 1919: Six Months that Changed the World, Margaret MacMillan, 2002, published in the United States by Random House, New York.

You need to read a great deal more about the history of Germany from 1918 until the rise of Hitler and the NSDAP, too. The Allies allowed the Freikorps to operate in the Baltic states as a buffer against Trotsky's Red Army, and many former German officers jumped at the opportunity to organize small, local Freikorps units within Germany. The Allies either knew nothing about this, or chose to ignore it. After all, the French were sending troops all over central Europe, while the Czechs and Serbs tried to grab as much territory as they could in the wake of the defeat of the Central powers. With the tacit approval of the French, the Italians promoted what was to prove a disastrous failure of an invasion of Turkey by Greek troops--the final nail in the coffin of relations between Turks and Greeks. Pilsudski in Poland was organizing Polish veterans of the German, Austrian and Russian armies in order to establish a new Polish state, Poland having ceased to exist as an independent state with the third partition in 1795. The Freikorps in the Baltic states turned into robber barons, and were completely useless in stopping the Bolsheviks--in 1920 the French were obliged to rush troops to Poland to support Pilsudski as the Franco-Polish forces finally stopped the Red Army at the gates of Warsaw.

There was certainly an officer corps within the German officer corps of "Prussian" officers (not all of them were Prussian, nor were they necessarily aristocrats--the sons of wealthy men were entering the military schools and were regarded as "Prussian Junkers" even when they were neither aristocrats nor Prussians)--however, this was not an exclusive club. Rommel was born and raised in Württemburg, and after joining an infantry unit there, was sent to the Officer Cadet School in Danzig, which was then a part of East Prussia. (Today Danzig is a part of Poland, and is known as Gdansk.) This was fairly common, a realistic attitude on the part of the Imperial German staff acknowledging that Prussia could not possibly supply all of the officers needed for the regular line regiments and the vast reserve system. In fact, most "Prussian" officers weren't Prussian at all, and most of them were not of aristocratic descent, neither before nor after the Great War. To use Rommel as an example again, he was the son of a schoolmaster.

No one gave any one emergency powes in the Wiemar Republic. Hindenberg defeated Hitler in the Presidential election in 1932, Hitler polling about 35%. That was just what the NSDAP polled in the subsequent Reichstag elections. After the Reichstag fire, Hitler, who had formed a coalition with the DNVP (the German National Peoples' Party, a right-wing party) under von Pappen, was able to outlaw left-wing parties, but even then, the NSDAP could only poll 44%, so Hitler was still obliged to govern with a coalition government. However, by making promises to the Centre Party, a Catholic Party in a country which still casually discriminated against a very large Catholic minority, Hitler was able to get the two thirds majority needed to pass the Enabling Act in 1933, which allowed the NSDAP-DNVP-Centre Party coalition to govern without reference to the Reichstag. That was the point from which Hitler was able to eventually outlaw all other political parties, and seize autocratic power.

Napoleon was certainly conservative, but he was no reactionary. Nor did he torpedo the Revolution; in fact, he exploited the fiction of revolutionary ideals quite well for many years. The reaction to the revolution is seen in the collapse of the Convention, and the subsequent rise of the Directory. The French middle class was horrified by the excesses of the convention, and particularly of Robspierre, and after the fall of Robspierre, conservative forces within the Convention began moving to take power, and the Directory was establish with the Constitution of the Year III. The Directory held power from 1795 until Napoleon created the Consulate in the wake of his successful coup (which he came within an ace of totally ******* up) in November, 1799. Most of the institutions of the Directory were preserved, since they coincided with Napoleon's native conservatism.

Napoleon was no military genius. The militay system he exploited had been created before he ever attended l'École militaire. He simply exploited the brilliant system which was created by the complete overhaul of the French military accomplished in the last years of the royal government before the revolution began. Napoleon was an organizational genius, and he was a good (and always cynical) judge of men. He put the right men in the right places, and he exploited their skills to the uttermost.

Napoleon's empire was destroyed in Spain, not in Russia. People seem to think that France collapsed after the destruction of the Grand Army in Russia--ignoring or ignorant of the fact that at Leipsic in 1813, Napoleon disposed of nearly a quarte of a million troops at the "Battle of the Nations." Napoleon too eagerly disposed of the Spanish monarchy in 1808, and installed his brother Joseph as the King of Spain. He completely failed to understand the Spanish, and didn't realize that the Spanish were not interested in the importation of the revolution, and preferred their own corrupt Bourbon monarch to a foreign corrupt monarch. The endless war in Spain bled France white. After "settling" Spain in 1808, Napoleon was delighted to see the opportunity to attack Austria in 1809. He "won" the Wagram campaign, at the cost of the flower of the Grand Army. He lost Marshall Lannes, arguably his best battlefield commander while under the eyes of the Emperor. He lost literally dozens of generals, hundreds of field grade officers, and thousands of company grade officers and NCOs. One light infantry regiment when it finally retired from the line during the battle of Wagram was in the command of its senior corporal--every officer and higher ranking NCO was either dead or incapacitated by wounds. Although an extreme case, the Grand Army suffered an appalling loss of experienced officers and NCOs which Napoleon was never able to make good.

Meanwhile, in Spain, Arthur Wellesley (soon to become the Duke of Wellington) marched on Madrid with an Anglo-Spanish Army in 1809. At the battle of Talevera, the King's Geman Legion and regular British line infantry stopped a night attack by Ruffin's division, and thenn prepared to go over to the offensive the next day. However, they didn't do their basic staff work, and when the Scots Grays (a "storied" cavalry regiment) attacked the French right, they fucked their own charge by riding into a gulley in the tall grass that a simple staff engineer's survey the day before would have told them was there. Wellesley (Wellington) never made that kind of mistake again. Meanwhile, the French commander, Jourdan, sent in a series of attacks which the British managed to hold off--but the attack of the Dutch cavalry and the Polish infantry against the Allied right completely undid the Spanish, and Cuesta's army just flat out ran away.

The King's German Legion and the Royal Americans (i.e., Canadians) were able to hold of the exhausted French while Wellesley got his army out before it was encircled. He never trusted the Spanish again. He eventually enrolled and used to good effect some Portuguese brigades, but he had no use for the Spanish army, and didn't care where they were or what they were doing. The guerilla, or "little war," carried out by Spanish irregulars, combined with the constant campaigning against a far superior commander (Wellington, of course) meant that Spain sucked up blood and treasure like a vacuum cleaner. Fine allied troops like the Dutch and the Poles were tied up in Spain for the last five years of the Empire, and some first-rate German regiments, too. At the battle of Wagram (there was a Wagram campaign, which culminated at the battle of Wagram, below Vienna), Prince Eugene Beauharnais (Napoleon's stepson) arrived with the Army of Italy literally in the nick of time. While the French line regiments were being slaughtered by the excellent Austrian artillery grouped around and on either flank of the village of Wagram, Prince Eugene sent Marshall MacDonald with the bulk of his army across the battlefield to the south of the French line, just in time to stop the Archduke Charles' counterattack which would have rolled up the French line. Charles retained a full army corps which was fresh and had not yet been committed, and that corps covered the Austian retreat. If the Army of Italy had not arrived in time, Charles would have used that corps to destroy the Grand Army, and Napoleon had nothing left to stop him. As it was, Charles was infuriated when the Austrian emperor capitulated.

When Napoleon invaded Russia, he depended heavily on German troops and, once again, the Army of Italy. They covered his flanks while he made the main drive on Moscow. Napoleon completely failed to understand the Russians, too. Defeating them at Smolensk and Borodino made absolutely no impression on Kutusov or his army, with the basic Russian attitude of "well, we were going to lose anyway." He also seemed not to understand that St. Petersburg was the capital of the Russian empire, and not Moscow. Apparently, he learned nothing from the example of Charles XII of Sweden, who idiotically drove on Moscow in 1708, and then tuned aside to invade the Ukraine--resulting in the eventual destuction of the Swedish army at Poltava in 1709. You can bet Napoleon knew about that, he was obsessed with history. That doesn't mean he had learned anything from it.

Kutusov not only wasn't impresed by being defeated at Borodino, he organzied the evacuation of Moscow, and then moved by his left to interpose his army between Moscow and his base to the south. Napoleon waited in the Sparrow Hills for the "boyars" to come out of Moscow to surrender to him. (He apparently wasn't aware that there no longer any boyars.) But the Russians weren't the Austrians, who were always eager to surrender when the French got near their beautiful Vienna. Moscow burned not because the Russians set fire to it, but because Napoleon was depressed in a situation he didn't understand (why weren't those pesky Russians hurrying to surrender to him ? ! ? ! ?), and he maintained no discipline in his army. A city of a millionn, built mostly of wood, and abandoned by the inhabitants, with an army of a hundred thousand sqatting there like a pack of brigands was bound to catch fire and burn down.

And Kutusov was just waiting for the French to come out again, and start their retreat. When Napoleon was building a new army in Germay in 1813, he couldn't call on the troops left in Spain, who were reeling from the hammer blows of Wellington's new and improved army. He couldn't call on the Germans who were either rotting in the woods and fields of Russia, or deserting as fast as their little legs would carry them. He couldn't call on the Army of Italy, which had wasted away in Russia even though they were never defeated in the field. He could only call up younger and younger Frenchmen, and Wagram four years earlier had destroyed the corps of NCOs and junior officers he would have needed to make a real army out of them.

Essentially, Napoleon, while an organizational genius, was a jumped-up Italian peasant with dubious claims to the minor aristocracy and the basic attitudes and family values of the Corsican. He certainly was no military genius.

Do us both a favor, and don't try to tell me about European or North American history.
Fido

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 08:03 am
@Setanta,
First of all... There is nothing about scholarship that pisses me off... And that period of history is a weak spot I am trying to fill, first with a recent biography of Bismark, and now with this history of the Weimer Republic which fits neatly into a biography of Heidegger I am reading... I have no doubt that many people understand Napoleon better than I... I may know way more than average about Napoleon just by reading several books, and books in adition about the Vendee and the French Revolution, and I have more boght with the intention of reading, but I am in no sense an expert on anything... I am sorry you went to the trouble of writing me a book... I am working on my house, and today I have to make it official and get a building permit, and my daughter, who is home schooled needs the computer for education... I will have to get back with you on the conscription in Prussian during Napolean's day, which the Allies tried to prevent in the Weimar Republic.... My information does not disagree with yours at all on the Free corp activities in the East, and in the Areas given to Poland by Versailles... In addition, my book points out that the cult of the Volk, even into literature and Art generally was already an old movement before the first world war... Are you at all interested in First World War History... I have one very current to the times, very old, and my daughter would peddle it for me but cannot because it lacks certain identification numbers... But it is for sale anyway...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 08:06 am
I didn't write a book. As it happens, i have almost all of the facts in my head, and only need to look up spellings or dates about which i am uncertain. I began responding to you within minutes of your post, and would have responded myself within minutes (i touch type, and i'm damned fast)--but we had a power failure. Since i'm using a lap top, i was able to finish the post, but had to wait for the power to come back on in order to re-connect and post it. This lap top sucks--i hate the keyboard (now The Girl is going to get pissed at me), which is responsible for typos i was not able to edit out.
Fido

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 12:08 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I didn't write a book. As it happens, i have almost all of the facts in my head, and only need to look up spellings or dates about which i am uncertain. I began responding to you within minutes of your post, and would have responded myself within minutes (i touch type, and i'm damned fast)--but we had a power failure. Since i'm using a lap top, i was able to finish the post, but had to wait for the power to come back on in order to re-connect and post it. This lap top sucks--i hate the keyboard (now The Girl is going to get pissed at me), which is responsible for typos i was not able to edit out.

Never had a good laptop... Sympathys.. I like history too, especially military history, since it always seems to come down to that.. But; my interests are general... I have a good library, most of it read, on WWII, And the American Civil War, and On Lincoln, or course... Quite a bit on Native Americans, and then touching on almost any subject you might imagine from art to Auto mechanics... I just do not have a good storage place...I have small libraries on two floors and kitchen cabinets full in the basement... Even if I knew everything, what would I do with it now??? I am ready to have some fun; challenge myself physically, run, play volley ball, maybe travel; and I never expect to get too far from a book, but what I know is not in any particular book anyway... I have gaps I would like to fill... Sections of European history; that sort of thing... But all of the understanding I have has brought me almost to the point I started, that it is essential to have fun with life, and knowing stuff has helped, but knowledge is not exactly understanding... This computer time is a vacation of sorts from some of the **** I have to deal with that I find challenging, but without the ****, I would not spend near the time talking about philosophy and history... Nor reading about it... Best. Fido
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 05:19 pm
I didn't want to start a new thread so I'm sticking this question here in hopes that someone will know....

Is there a legitimate educational purpose to things like word search and scrambled letter puzzles?