washing clothes across the world

saab

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:41 pm
@margo,
As far as I can figure out there is no reason why you cannot hang cloth outside in Akersberga. I still think it was because it was Midsommar.
margo

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:47 pm
@saab,
It may have been a apersonal thing - but it seemed eminently sensible to me to use the heat and sun!
Pemerson

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 12:09 am
Ah, how awful. I just erased my long post about hanging clothes out to dry. And it's 1:08 a.m. See you tomorrow. Good thread, brings back memories.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 12:51 am
@margo,
I am like you and like to hang out my cloth in the sun and heat. But not midsommar. It is an outdoor celebration and one wants to have the garden or the property nice and neat. The lawn is moved, flowers should be planted by then and one does not hang cloth outside and the flag has to be up.
Somebody else has done it, but for that they did decorate their dog!
http://snel.se/pixi/upload/midsommar.jpg
another one
http://www.romdahl.se/wilma/Bilder/kompisarna/midsommar2008.jpg
but midsommar can be like this too
http://www.bridgetosweden.com/images/midsommar%202003.jpg
or so
http://grafisklackering.se/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/59-2020-midsommar.jpg
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 09:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Imagine 20 clotheslines holding 40 sheets, 20 towels plus all the clothes little people and boys wear. That's what was flapping in the warm sun, hot sun, cold weather, any weather, in the children's home five days a week. Would have made a fascinating photo.

All the girls 13 and older took turns "hanging out." It was a ligitimate excuse from school when it was your turn for this chore. The lady, Miss Cox, who ran this laundry establishment was about 80, a real harridan (they just pretend to be so's we'd behave), did all the washing and piled those wet clothes in big baskets for us young girls to take out and drape across the lines with clothes pins. It was fun, though, chasing each other among the flapping sheets, screaming and laughing.

Later on, when I lived with my dad and stepmother, they would both leave for work, leaving me with all the ironing (all sprinkled and rolled up) and washing (sitting in baskets) to be hung on our two lines. It's amazing that I'd forget to get these chores done. Stepmom would have a fit, coming home tired and there they sat - those baskets of stiff, unironed clothes and wet ones all dried but still laying in the baskets. Teenagers are awful.

Married, living in our own house wherever we lived - Ohio, Massachusetts, Michigan - I still hung the clothes outside to dry, early on all the diapers. It was just fun and they smelled so nice, plus the hanging-over-the-fence-gabbing with neighbors. We didn't always have a drier, though.

I don't think anyone would say anything here, should one of us hang clothes out to try. They might get a little dusty, even dirty with all that TX dirt flying 'round.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 09:23 pm
@Pemerson,
I so imagine, Pem.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 11:10 pm
@Pemerson,
Sprinklet clothes. I wonder how many here even know what you are talking about.

The technique still works with spray starch, though.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 11:36 pm
Seeing the Irish laundry hanging out to dry brought this back to mind, after decades unthought about--does anyone remember the gestures to use as you sing along?

Here we go round the mulberry bush
The mulberry bush, the mulberry bush
Here we go round the mulberry bush
So early in the morning

This is the way we wash our clothes
Wash our clothes, wash our clothes
This is the way we wash our clothes
So early Monday morning

This is the way we iron our clothes
Iron our clothes, iron our clothes
This is the way we iron our clothes
So early Tuesday morning

This is the way we mend our clothes
Mend our clothes, mend our clothes
This is the way we mend our clothes
So early Wednesday morning

This is the way we sweep the floor
Sweep the floor, sweep the floor
This is the way we sweep the floor
So early Thursday morning

This is the way we scrub the floor
Scrub the floor, scrub the floor
This is the way we scrub the floor
So early Friday morning

This is the way we bake our bread
Bake our bread, bake our bread
This is the way we bake our bread
So early Saturday morning

This is the way we go to church
Go to church, go to church
This is the way we go to church
So early Sunday morning

I can probably figure out the other six days, but I have no idea what the "washing clothes" movements were--pounding them on rocks, or something?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 11:46 pm
@MontereyJack,
I remember the song but not the why, the dullard child.
saab

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 12:01 am
@MontereyJack,
We have that song in Swedish too. Remember it from my childhood.
Did you too make the matching movements when singing the song?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 12:12 am
Yes, I think I did, but the "washing"motion is lost in the mists of time--waht did they do for it in Sweden?
saab

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 12:35 am
@MontereyJack,
Hands up and down as if we were washing cloth in water, scrubbing them against a scrubbingboard.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 12:53 am
ah, okay, that makes sense--kinda lets us date when the the kid's song was popular, too. Here's another use for a washboard:

incidentally, what are the lyrics like in Swedish?
saab

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 01:19 am
@MontereyJack,
For Christmas and Midsummer we like to do a lot of singing and dancing around the Christmas tree and the midsummer poole. And one of the songs is the one mentioned.
We walk around a juniper bush and
Monday we sweep the floor
Tuesday scrub the floor
Wednesday we wash
Thurday we hang the laundry
Friday we mangle the laundry
Saturday we go to the market and
Sunday we go to church

Here it is!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf0OCFINhj4&feature=related
saab

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 01:21 am
@saab,
Noticed these people wash monday, hang tuesday and iron and some otherday and only know three verses.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 01:32 am
Now that's the kind of goofy, if soggy, celebration I like a lot. I think I got the washing and hanging parts, and the part that was either washing the floor or mangling ("ironing" in the States) the clothes. Not surprisingly, a totally different tune.
Is the song that's about three-quarters of the way through, with the hands wiggling behind the butt, about ducks? American ducks say "quack", do Swedish ducks say "kek"?
saab

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 01:49 am
@MontereyJack,
No, it is not about ducks - it is a very popular song and it is about frogs.
Little frogs are fun to watch, no ears, no tails and then kvark kvark.
Afterwards they sing about small pigs - a song I don´t know. Small pigs are fun to see, small ears, small tail and noef.noef they say. Spelled nöf nöf.
aidan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 02:33 am
I love this thread because I do love clothes lines. I always stop and take pictures of an interesting clothes line.

This one was in upstate New York - I was driving by and thought, 'That woman (I assumed it was a woman who hung these clothes out) is even more of an air-drier nut that I am:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/SCAN0075.jpg

This one was in North Carolina. It doesn't snow very often there so when it does, it's an event. I was out walking and saw this scene- I loved it so much I matted and framed it and it's been hanging in every apartment and house I've lived in since I graduated from college (which is when I took the picture):

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/SCAN0076-2.jpg
saab

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 05:53 am
@aidan,
Love your pictures.

0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 05:54 am
@MontereyJack,
Swedish ducks are rappers: They say rap rap rap
0 Replies