djjd62

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 07:14 pm
@ossobuco,
i was wondering that too, but chose to believe otherwise Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 07:29 pm
@ossobuco,
If anyone trys to figure out what dj and I were talking about, we were referring to different photos..

snarf..
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 07:48 pm
@djjd62,
My father's family lived near the Georgian Bay, specifically, my father's aunt, Delia. We drove up to visit, in 1950. I don't remember much, except just getting to be in Canada. I have a faint memory they had something like popsicles. In the living room of Aunt Delia's, a very old piano, very very old, and they said it would be mine (I never heard of these people again). It wasn't shaped like the pianos we all know.

The tea had cream in it. What?

The bathtub ran red sort of water.

this is a scene take, just that we went there, and remembering.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 07:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, ok, back to laundry.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:20 am
Machine washing:
Quote:
To do laundry, first sort your dirty clothes, making separate piles for whites, bright colors and darks.
If you mix whites with colors in the wash, the colors may bleed onto and ruin your whites.

Hand washing:
Quote:
Tips for Best Results:
Just as with machine-washing, the first thing to do is sort your clothes by colour so that you are washing whites, light colours and dark colours separately

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Washing-Guide-Secrets-For-Hand-Washing-Clothes&id=1509770
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 07:08 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

My father's family lived near the Georgian Bay, specifically, my father's aunt, Delia. We drove up to visit, in 1950. I don't remember much, except just getting to be in Canada. I have a faint memory they had something like popsicles. In the living room of Aunt Delia's, a very old piano, very very old, and they said it would be mine (I never heard of these people again). It wasn't shaped like the pianos we all know.

The tea had cream in it. What?

The bathtub ran red sort of water.

this is a scene take, just that we went there, and remembering.

http://www.mcq.org/code/medias/images/pt/sa-piano-table.jpg

Maybe it was a square piano? They make lovely desks, I'm told.
(Sorry for the digression -- enjoying the laundry photos.)

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:40 am
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
These drying racks are cheap and you're doing something for the
environment. Plus, it puts less strain on your clothes, and it smells so good...
did I say that already?

Eva, it's prohibited here too, but I like living dangerously Wink

I'm astonished that clotheslines are (apparently) prohibited in so many places. What do environmentalists have to say about this?
All those clothes dryers. What an incredible waste of energy!

Another option could be one of these "retractable" ones, which are installed in quite a few homes/apartments with smaller yards. You tuck them up after you've finished drying your washing:

http://www.lifestyleclotheslines.com.au/bistro/image.img?color=304354&text=253342&accent=f4f2cd&compliment=e2e1bc&navigation=ffffff&heading=e88709&title=304354&logo=304354&link=084ccc&picture.width.max=440&picture.image.url=%2Ffiles%2F1303324%2Fuploaded%2Ftestim3.jpg&cache=1285825806471

http://www.lifestyleclotheslines.com.au/bistro/image.img?color=304354&text=253342&accent=f4f2cd&compliment=e2e1bc&navigation=ffffff&heading=e88709&title=304354&logo=304354&link=084ccc&picture.width.max=440&picture.image.url=%2Ffiles%2F1303324%2Fuploaded%2Ftestim8.jpg&cache=1285825806471

http://www.lifestyleclotheslines.com.au/testimonials

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 11:54 am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11417677
dyslexia

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 12:20 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
I'm amazed that the US, which is normally so adamant about individual rights to do what they like on their own property, seems to have got so obsessed with telling people they can't do something so trivial and harmless!
for damn sure, this ban on clothes drying is the direct result on inane mindless rules of conformity.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 01:11 pm
@Tai Chi,
It looked like that, but I remember it as more of a rectangle..
margo

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 02:50 pm
That photo dj posted could have been in the backyard of my previous house.

Here I have a 6-line number that gets full sun along the narrow passage at the side of the house. It's away from the street, no-one can see it, and it catches every breeze as well.

I was visiting friends in Sweden in midsummer a couple of years ago. I did a load of washing, rigged up a line between the house and a shed, and pegged the clothes out. There was a breeze, plenty of sun and the clothes dried within hours. My friends were mortified - what would the neighbours think? -although none of them could see the line.

It seemed such a pity, in a country when sunshine is not always available, not to take advantage of what there was. Apparently much better to hang your clothes for days in the dank laundry, so they never felt completely dry. Bed linen, too. Not for them the joy of sheets that smelled of the sun.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 03:08 pm
@margo,
margo wrote:
Bed linen, too. Not for them the joy of sheets that smelled of the sun.

or contains the pollens of ... <ahhhh chooo>

I'm a big fan of clotheslines. My Thanksgiving project 10 years ago was learning how to use a post-hole digger, making cement and installing a clothesline in the back here.

I did finally learn that it's not a good idea to dry my linens on the line in the spring/summer or autumn. Bad for allergies. I do put the sheets out in the winter - the frozen sheets don't bring pollen back in - and they are marvellously flat.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 03:21 pm
My utility bill is now considerably less (over $ 20) ever since I started drying the laundry outside, and this is in addition to still drying towels and sheets in the dryer.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 08:14 pm
My dryer currently only works for about 5 minutes and then stops for an hour. So it's not really practical - and I have plenty of clothes line.

Mind you, if I lived in some of those dismal climates..... Razz Twisted Evil
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 01:23 am
@margo,
Where in Sweden did you dry your cloth outside?
I have never heard of anybody being against that. I do it myself.
saab

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 06:33 am
@saab,
Thinking about it - it might have been that you were hanging out clothes at midsummer. After all that is a holiday when things should be ready for celebrating. It is more a question of behavior than against clothes being outside.
I would never hang cloth outside to dry on Christmas Day or Easter Sunday either.
Tai Chi

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 07:20 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

It looked like that, but I remember it as more of a rectangle..

Yep, it's rectangular. It's called a square piano, though.
margo

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:38 pm
@saab,
My friends used to lived near Akersberga (don't have access to the little pronunciation things on my keyboard!)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:53 pm
@Tai Chi,
Ok, then, you got five stars and a big smile for that photo.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:38 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

Thinking about it - it might have been that you were hanging out clothes at midsummer. After all that is a holiday when things should be ready for celebrating.

You're right that it was about midsummer - that's when I was there that time - but not around midsummer itself - we were up in Dalarna then.
0 Replies