washing clothes across the world

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
That was my second favorite photo.. wonderful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:29 pm
Since I don't currently have a place to hang clothes outside (we'll see, we'll see, I'll rig something up), I use the weather here inside. That is, in summer, it's usually 83 or 84 in the house before I'll turn on the swamp cooler for a couple of hours to bring the temp down a few degrees, and it's dry heat. So, I shake things out and toss in the dryer for a short time to de-wrinkle things, shake them again, then hang them on the bathroom curtain rod to finish drying. That's it - I've done enough ironing in my life. Same in winter, except that the drying time takes longer, as the house is much cooler.

As an aside, I've learned to shake clothes in the hallway - last year I smashed my hand into the top of the open dryer door and jammed one of my fingers. Ack!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:36 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

We're not allowed to dry our clothes in our back yards here (?) or else I would (in the summer of course). Our winters would crack the fibres!

Our Canadian city has changed the by-laws to allow clothes lines again. This has been in place for the past couple of years.

Hard not to allow it when they are pushing for energy conservation.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:54 pm
I just read that the Ontario government just changed the law and over ruled all developers covenants. These covenants are still going strong in many "planned communities" in AB. Stupid.

By the by Osso, I too really like that picture. I wish I could put mine up. I'm having problems with the computer. I have several I've taken of laundry hanging about. Strange the things we find attractive...
dyslexia

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:59 pm
@Ceili,
that's truly refreshing news; it gives me hope that "liberalism" can be rational.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 09:03 pm
@Ceili,
I'm a softy for irish landscape - have done one big painting and saved magazine photos just because I like them. Plus I've always rather liked photos of laundry hanging in different countries, cultures. One of the good ways humans have a presence on the land. Can you tell if that's a dog in the distance of that photo? Looks like it to me.

When your computer gets better, come back and post them, mm ?
roger

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 09:22 pm
@dyslexia,
Hahahahahahaha!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 09:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, now I decided not a dog.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 06:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
So I fell in love with this photo:

I can see why you would love that photograph, osso.
Drying clothes never looked so beautiful, or so romantic! Smile

I posted this on another thread here, but this is how many in Australia still dry their clothes, in their backyards. It's the much-loved Hills Hoist, which dries your washing really quickly on warm, sunny days, as it whizzes around & a round in the breeze. Your washing smells wonderful when you take it off the line. I love my Hills Hoist. And it's retractable, too! Smile This view is looking upward, to a clear, blue sky, from the bottom. A perfect day for drying the washing!

http://ih2.redbubble.net/work.20498.9.flat,550x550,075,f.hills-hoist.jpg

http://images-2.redbubble.net/img/art/border:blackwithdetail/product:laminated-print/size:medium/view:preview/3616404-2-washing.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 06:33 pm
@msolga,
Oh, my, I think we could use those here..
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 06:42 pm
love hanging laundry on the line, nothing better than line dried sheets for a nights sleep

i remember a picture i saw in Life magazine when i was a kid, a women hanging out laundry in Alaska in the winter, she's surrounded by clouds of steam, the accompanying text talked about how the dry cold air literally sucked the moisture out of the fabric before it could freeze
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 06:50 pm
looking to see if i could find the winter pic (a pretty long shot), found this shot instead, i like the motion in the picture

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_r9tRxl6jWos/S8fYUbU_j6I/AAAAAAAAARg/ZrtfbFiKMC8/s1600/linedry2.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 06:54 pm
@djjd62,
Yes, the motion..
djjd62

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 06:55 pm
@ossobuco,
i'm guessing they're curtains, there's almost a dance going on in the right hand side of the picture
djjd62

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 06:57 pm
@ossobuco,
love the pic you started this thread with, the sunlight illuminating just the laundry on the line is stunning
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 06:59 pm
@djjd62,
True, really, that is a fabulous picture, fabulous being a lame adjective.
we could work up better adjectives. The photo isn't just an easy peasy thing. Very elegant. Probably by a photographer that knew this would happen.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 07:00 pm
@ossobuco,
ah, re the last dj photo, not the thread photo..
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 07:02 pm
a girl a boss of mine was dating had a cabin near georgian bay, it was an old two storey log cabin, the first thing we'd do when we got there on the weekend was take the huge down filled duvets out and hang them on the line, the wind would plump up the feathers, and the smell of the pines would permeate the fabric, sleeping in a cabin is a wonderful experience at the best of times, sleeping under those duvets was sublime
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 07:11 pm
@djjd62,
I'm getting to figure the light on the sheet area is faux...

Snarf. But from my experience in a similar climate, maybe not faux,

Maybe one of those waiting photographs.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 07:13 pm
@djjd62,
The more I look at that, the more beautiful I think the photo is.
0 Replies