what is the meaning of this sentence?

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 12:21 am
What if instead of a scared young woman, more young than a woman, she was coming to strength?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 829 • Replies: 8
No top replies

fresco

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 12:36 am
@PennyChan,
More context is needed. However, the suggestion is that the term "woman" should be dropped and replaced by "adolescent" in order to account for the behaviour of the subject.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 12:46 pm

"She was coming to strength" is an unusual and a very awkward phrase.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 01:27 pm
It looks like a sentence that was written by a non-native English speaker.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 02:22 pm
@PennyChan,
What if instead of a scared young woman, more young than a woman, she was coming to strength?

COULD equal ... let's give it a context; a screen play, some people are discussing the players;

What if, instead of a scared young woman, who really is more young than she is a woman, we have someone who was finding her strength, her fortitude?
contrex

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 02:40 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
more young than she is a woman

Whatever that means.
JTT

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 06:20 pm
@contrex,
Original sentence:

Quote:
Contrex said I wrote: more young than she is a woman

But I actually wrote: who really is more young than she is a woman,

Quote:
Contrex replied: Whatever that means.

What if instead of a scared young woman,

At this point we don't know just how old this young lady/woman is, so the author of this sentence expanded it and I expanded it further for clarity, within the context I supplied.

who really is more young than she is a woman,

We often call early teens young lady or young woman when they really aren't yet women. Now do you understand?

Another paraphrase,

What if instead of a scared young woman, who is more on the young side than she is on the woman side, ... ?

Everyone ooohs and aaaahs when Shakespeare or some other author turns a phrase that needs a bit of thought to comprehend, but the pronouncements come fast and furious when someone else does the same thing.

The original sentence, in the proper context, is unremarkable.

McTag

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 02:45 am
@JTT,

Quote:
The original sentence, in the proper context, is unremarkable.

That's a bit of a stretch. Awkward and unusual, I'd say. In fact I already have.
JTT

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:07 am
@McTag,
Quote:
That's a bit of a stretch. Awkward and unusual, I'd say. In fact I already have.

You only said that,

"She was coming to strength"

is an unusual and a very awkward phrase, McTag.

The sentence as a whole is fine. It only needs context. I agree that the above is not usual but that really doesn't mean a thing other than it's unusual.

When a context is given, it's not at all awkward. Grammatical with context is what language is all about. There's nothing wrong with pushing the envelope in language. That's how new meanings, new phrases come to be.

Quote:
Without this Food that is the Father's Love, there is no coming to strength or healing of weakness.' Unless we receive and embrace His Love for us, ...

Quote:
There's got to be a coming to strength and a personal empowerment.” One doesn't choose one's sexual identity, but how one responds to it is up to the

Quote:
Strength is coming to strength. Some encouragements are: Leadership from Mizoram are planning a 40-day fast for the UK. It was Welsh missionaries who ...

0 Replies