Haymarket?

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 10:25 pm
What is Haymarket? It's near Front Royal in the United States.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 606 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:24 pm
The only Haymarket I know of is in the Italian section of Boston which is an open air market for vegetables, fish, fruit et al. Excellent place.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 09:19 pm
@PennyChan,
It is a Virginia town approximately 33 miles from Front Royal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket,_Virginia
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 12:05 am
@PennyChan,

And a name borrowed from the old country, like so many others.
There's a well-known Edinburgh street called Haymarket.
contrex

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 12:19 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

And a name borrowed from the old country, like so many others.
There's a well-known Edinburgh street called Haymarket.

There is a street or location named Haymarket in many British towns. In the middle ages market towns served as regional centres for agricultural and farm business. This would have where there was a market where guess what: hay was bought and sold. You will also find names such as Corn Street, Cornmarket, Cattle Market, Horsefair etc. Stamford in Lincolnshire has a Sheepmarket.
PennyChan

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 12:24 am
Thank you!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 03:52 am
@contrex,
Contrex wrote:
There is a street or location named Haymarket in many British towns.

It's not all that uncommon in some older US cities either. The "Haymarket martyrs" referred to in a popular left wing protest song of the early 20th Century were some anarchists killed by Chicago police during a demonstration/riot in that city's Haymarket location. When younger, I too (like Sglass) thought the reference was to Boston's Haymarket Square. I was set straight by my very left-wing-oriented first wife.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 08:37 am
@contrex,

Quote:
There is a street or location named Haymarket in many British towns. Smile

For sure. In the times before the internal combustion engine, the transport in towns ran on...hay!

Does anyone know of a modern town or district called Gas Station? Smile
Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 09:21 am
@McTag,
No, but i was always amused by Stop and Swap, Georgia, and mystified by Monkey's Eyebrow, Kentucky.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 09:25 am
By the way, there are/were lots of towns in the United States named College Station, because there was a whistle stop there for trains passing near the once newly founded universities. Some retain the name, others have changed theirs. The University of Illinois was founded on the outskirts of Urbana, Illinois. The railroad obligingly put a station nearby, and a town grew up there, known as College Station. It is now known as Champaign, Illinois, and the university is now known as the Univerity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The folks in Champaign don't much like that, since they are now a much larger town than Urbana. Such silly pettiness . . .
0 Replies