The Amazing Race

Reyn

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 09:55 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
... Mallory and her dad are both under "non disclosure" contracts with the show. ...

That makes sense, as the show is, of course, made a long way ahead of time (like Survivor). Anyone with loose lips could wreck the outcome of the show for the viewers.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 10:28 am
Well, yesterday's show was a good one.

Three teams didn't read the clues carefully, and took a taxi instead of walking to one of the locations. One team caught themselves and backtracked, correcting this, which saved them. The other two teams incurred penalties, with the Michael / Kevin team making 2 errors, and getting an hour added on!

The dad said, too, to read the clues carefully.

Again, Nick, the tattooed guy, was really rude. Seems like he can't help himself.

Chad, the guy with the red baseball cap, is really annoying me, too. He's quite condescending to Stephanie, and acting all superior when she missed the "model spire" clue, never mind he missed the walking, rather than riding instruction.

I was pleased to see that Nat and Kat pulled off another win. A couple of nice ladies - I'm rooting for them!
Irishk

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 10:55 am
@Reyn,
Aw, Michael and Kevin were my favorites.

Did you hear Stephanie on the mat saying how supportive Chad had been??? She and I have a totally different interpretation of that word lol.
Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 11:23 am
@Irishk,
I'd agree on the surface - but who knows what is edited. Could be that they only show him being an a$$ for media reasons - although the show gives no indication the guy is anything but an a$$.

The two girl docs have it going - I like the dad/son team too, not sure if I have a fav team yet. Like both the two girl teams and the dad/daughter team.

Seems the daughter couldn't say enough at how well dad saved the day, with his "bowling" skills.
Irishk

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 12:47 pm
@Linkat,
True on the editing. A lot of them complain about it once the show is over, but by then no one cares lol.

Now that Michael/Kevin are gone I think I'll be cheering for one of the remaining all girl teams. If they win, that'll be a first for TAR. But, I like the father/daughter team, too. Ok, I don't really care who wins now that my faves are gone lol.

BTW...I missed last week's show and I thought tat couple came in last? So, last night I kept waiting for them to be hit with the speed bump, but never saw it? Did I miss it somehow?
Roberta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 01:29 pm
Disappointed to see the father and son leave. Hey, son, read the instructions!

The docs are a formidable pair. Writing the notes by numbers on their hands made it possible for them to get through that very difficult challenge with relative ease.

The wrestlers are still in it! I didn't see a speed bump, but I missed part of the middle of the show.

Stephanie thinks that guy is supportive? Either she's stringing him along to keep him playing, or she'a a masochistic nut. Blech.

mysteryman

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 01:51 pm
@Irishk,
No, last week was a "non-elimination" round.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 01:55 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
The docs are a formidable pair. Writing the notes by numbers on their hands made it possible for them to get through that very difficult challenge with relative ease.

I thought that was really clever! Good on them!

My vote is for them to win. Laughing
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 02:16 pm
Found this in a review of the show ... from the OCRegister of all places lol:

Quote:
According to TV blogger HitFixDaniel, who found a posting on iMDB from someone who says he read it on Nick’s Facebook page, Nick & Vicki had been the victims of a judge’s error the previous week. At the classical music Detour, they had submitted a correct answer but were told it was wrong. To make up for that, the producers decided the couple would not need to run the Speed Bump.

That makes the most sense and explains why Phil never mentioned the speed bump penalty when Nick & Vicki checked in at the pit stop. I guess the show didn't want to take the time to explain their error and the remedy ... too much other good stuff to cram into the hour.

Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 02:46 pm
@Irishk,
Interesting - I figured I just missed something.

One other thing I wondered about - there are many challenges where there is subjective opinions - like building a brick wall or setting up a TV so the occupants can view it clearly. So some one gets to decide whether something built is ok, or they can view the tv ok ... I wonder if some of the cute girls or some of the nicer individuals get away with semi ok vs others...

Guess that just goes along with whether you get stuck with a crappie driver or a car that breaks down.
Irishk

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 02:59 pm
@Linkat,
Good question. You'd think if some really biased advantage was obvious, a producer would step in to correct it. Viewers pick up on that kind of thing, I think, and would probably complain. I think TAR is one of the few reality shows to win a lot of awards, so they probably want to keep the odds as even as possible. Would've only taken a few seconds to explain the absence of the speed bump, though. I'm sure a lot of viewers were wondering why they didn't see it.
Roberta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 03:11 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Would've only taken a few seconds to explain the absence of the speed bump, though. I'm sure a lot of viewers were wondering why they didn't see it.

I agree. We all remembered it and wondered about it. We can't be the only ones.

I've also wondered about subjectivity. The babushka ladies really liked Kevin. Did he plant his potatoes as well as he should have?

Irishk

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 03:22 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
The babushka ladies really liked Kevin.

I was so happy they showed a clip of that since I missed the episode. He just made the show for me this year! Hated that they got the double penalty Sad but I'm glad they made it as far as they did.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 04:35 am
He proposed. (Don't know his name.) Right there on TV and in front of everybody. I was half expecting what's her name to say no. What a joik he's proven to be.

The wrestlers are still in it! He's a laugh a minute. But he's good at changing tires. She's good humored and very capable.

What happened to the doctors. Did they get lost? I know that the father and daughter got lost. I have mixed feelings about their departure. Sometimes they were a fun pair. Sometimes she got on my nerves.

There's a good chance that I'll remember names just in time for the season to be over.
Reyn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:51 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

He proposed. (Don't know his name.)

Chad. I was hoping Stephenie would say 'no'! Laughing

Nick was an idiot again. Treats his partner (Vicki) like dirt. He was in fine form last night. Mad

Yes, Nat and Kat (the doctors) did take a wrong turn. It put them dangerously close to losing. Shocked I'm glad they recovered, as they're my favourites.

Chad and Stephanie slept in nearly 2 hours past their departure time and came in 1st for this round. Wow, was luck on their side, or what?

While, the 2 girls, near the end in Oman, went down a one-way street, and appeared not to be delayed too much. I was sure this would maybe slow them to near last.
Reyn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 02:40 pm
Irishk, Linkat, MysteryMan? What say you?
Irishk

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 07:06 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
Chad. I was hoping Stephenie would say 'no'! Laughing

Me, too hahaha! They've edited him to be so disrespectful of her, but I suppose some viewers might have thought it was romantic.

Vicki is kinda starting to grow on me LOL. Still, I'm a little surprised they've gotten this far in the race (mostly because of Nick).

Don't really have a favorite now that Michael/Kevin are gone. Guess I'll go along with you and cheer for the docs.

Was sad to see Mallory and her dad go...especially liked the dad.

Who's going to win, Reyn???

Reyn

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 08:58 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
Who's going to win, Reyn???

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say Nat and Kat (the doctors). Of course, I'm somewhat bias. Laughing
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 12:16 am
@Reyn,
I didnt get a chance to watch last night, so I dont know what happened.
I do know that Mallory and her dad got booted.

Knowing that, I have to root for the 2 doctors. They seem to have their stuff together.
Reyn

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 08:53 am
@mysteryman,
It was close!

Nat and Kat took a wrong turn earlier in the day, and got really badly delayed. Mallory and her dad, who were quite a bit behind, too, caught up a lot due to that, and came close to being in 5th place, instead of 6th.

I'm still amazed that Chad and Stephanie, who slept in almost 2 hours past their start time, ended up in 1st place!
0 Replies