So, I have black widows in my kitchen.

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 07:05 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Um, I can't remember the details re diatomaceous earth and borax, so if I need diatomaceous earth specifically, where does one purchase food grade?

Funny, I bought probably a lifetime supply of diatomaceous earth this summer to combat an ant problem. (Much cheaper than buying it in the little bottles from a garden center or hardware store.) I bought it at the local AgroMart (agricultural supply store). It came from Albuquerque!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 07:20 pm
@Tai Chi,
Ooh, good idea. Bit of a jaunt, but doable.
roger

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 09:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Don't they have to walk in it? Well, with winter coming on, they'll be looking for a warm home, but usually they really do stay in their webs.

I wonder if it was the brown recluse that someone said didn't form webs. I'm pretty sure that would be true.
0 Replies

JamieFrederick

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 06:45 am
From what I have researched, there are look-alike black widows that are harmless. The actual black widows are nothing to panic about, ....but are an area of concern. They do pack a nasty punch. They are shy and only seem to charge out if disturbed. I read something about (I think its called Northern black widow) which has white spots instead of the red hour glass. In any case, I worry more about my cat than myself. I can notice and avoid something, whereas she will play with it. I have found a few---always in the cabinets under the sink. I'll have to seal any openings to prevent more, but must then spray for what I residents I may already have.
----YIKES
jespah

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 06:54 am
@JamieFrederick,
Eek that would have me calling my realtor (and I love my home).

Welcome to A2K and I hope Raid (or the like) is working for you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 09:07 am
Time passed. I never did move the tall hutch. Never bought the diatomaceous earth (still mean to). Did spray with something they'd have to walk over. Haven't seen anymore white sticky looking nests or white thready things (they were as Roger described, just not quite so extensive - those white stringy things were why I was worried about the hutch area). Long ago took the indian bells off the door knob. Those were there in the first place for my late loved dog to nose if he needed to go out, or, otherwise to let me know a burglar was entering.
0 Replies

Sara32

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 09:05 am
Yu are right, Fear is mind killer thing. But dear black widow is very dangerous spider. Its venom spread in the whole very quickly and there is less chances for survive after its attack....
0 Replies