Zeros to heroes

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 12:03 am

Why not use "zero to hero"?

Context:

Zeros to heroes: Ulcer truth was hard to stomach
19 September 2010 by Michael Le Page
Magazine issue 2777. Subscribe and save
For similar stories, visit the Micro-organisms Topic Guide
No one would believe that bacteria caused stomach ulcers – until Barry Marshall swallowed some

BACK in 1984, a young Australian doctor called Barry Marshall swallowed a nasty-tasting solution of bacteria. This was no accident. He did it to convince his peers that his suspicions about a highly prevalent disease were not as far-fetched as they thought.

In 1981, Marshall had met pathologist Robin Warren, who had found curved bacteria in inflamed stomach tissue. In further studies, they found that this bacterium, later named Helicobacter pylori, was present in most people who had inflammation or ulcers of the stomach or gut. Like two long-forgotten German researchers in 1875, they concluded that these bacteria were to blame.

"I was met with constant criticism that my conclusions were premature," Marshall later wrote. "My results were disputed and disbelieved, not on the basis of science but because they simply could not be true."

It is often claimed that doctors were wedded to the idea that ulcers were caused by excess stomach acid, or that they didn't believe that bacteria could grow in the stomach. In fact, the main reason for the scepticism, says Richard Harvey of the Frenchay Hospital in Bristol, UK, was that four-fifths of ulcers were not in the stomach but further down the digestive tract.

Yet we now know that Marshall was right. After downing his bacterial concoction, he soon became far more ill than he had expected, vomiting and developing stomach inflammation. Later studies confirmed the theory. His discovery made it possible for millions of people to be cured of their ulcers with antibiotics, instead of having to take acid-reducing drugs every day.

It turns out that H. pylori causes ulcers by boosting acid production in the stomach. The big mystery is why, when half the world's population carries the bug, only a small proportion develop symptoms. Harvey's team has been studying the benefits of eliminating H. pylori, which has been shown to cause stomach cancer as well as ulcers. He has no doubts about his conclusions: "The only good Helicobacter is a dead one."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 613 • Replies: 2
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 12:37 am
1. The phrase "zero to hero" (both singular) became popular following the 1998 release of the Walt Disney film "Hercules: Zero to Hero"

2. The phrase is not an official one, especially when removed from the context of that specific film title. People are free to modify it as they wish. It might be adapted to a plural form as you have quoted, if multiple "heroes" are to be discussed.

3. Many people would prefer to spell the plural "zeroes" with an 'e'. Particularly if 'heroes' is to shortly follow.

4. Possibly what made the transition from zeroes (i.e. considered to be of negligible or no importance) to heroes (i.e. considered to be of great importance) are the bacteria? (I would agree that there is nothing "heroic" about causing ulcers, but see below.)

5. Rules and conventions of language (and indeed common sense) are often stretched or completely ignored by journalists or editors when headlines, headings, titles, etc are written. Especially if the writer is lazy or in a hurry and the writing is not intended to be literary. (see next point)

6. A lot of your topics seem to come from American medical and pharmaceutical journals and online sources. You are not always going to find the most elegant prose in those sources.

oristarA

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 04:58 am
@contrex,
Excellent!

Thank you Contrex.
0 Replies