Things get you down?

Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 09:05 am
What do you do to bring yourself up when things get you down?

I had much strife in my early years from violent alcoholic parents, to being forced out on the street at 15, and much later to the death of both parents and my dismissal of my still-wacko siblings (perhaps understandably given they shared a similar childhood but did not find a way past it).

Despite all that I managed to educate myself well, get a great job, own a fine home, and perhaps most importantly share my life with my lovely spouse and have a number of friends I appreciate.

But still I find my head and heart will make their way back to times of hurt and pain. When that happens I can dwell on such negatives to the detriment of my outlook on life.

I know there are outs for such times and I wonder what others might do when they find that all is not right with their world, whether it's past sorrows, present difficulties, or whatever causes pain and strife.

What do you do to keep yourself on the up and up and put your best foot forward?

I find a walk around the lake (I can walk to it in less than 5 minutes) can be of benefit, but now that my faithful dog is dead there's less impetus to do that...or working up new lesson plans for the following day's teaching can be a positive thing.

PS: I'm watching the movie "Pay it Forward" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0223897/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,254 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 09:42 am
I don't live near a lake but when I get the blues two things have always worked for me. The great outdoors... So much beauty and wonder.
Laughter. It works. Try this experiment. Smile or laugh and try to think a sad thought. Impossible! So, if I feel especially down and smelling the roses doesn't work, I'll turn on the comedy channel et al and watch funny stuff. Always works.

If it becomes a reoccurring problem later on in life, I'll get botox shot between my brows. If you can't frown, you can't be sad.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 09:45 am
@Chumly,
By the by Chum, you're a pretty impressive guy?!? It's so hard to pick yourself up from that kind of childhood, but you're an inspiration. Here's hoping that whatever gets you down will be less severe as time goes by.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 09:52 am
Chumly, if you look at your past as events/experiences that made you into what you are today, you may find yourself being grateful for some of it. Think of what you've learned and overcome and improved and you get a different perspective on your experiences.

Lots of people have had adversities, and most people come from dysfunctional families - it's what makes everyone so unique and special.

I have a very dysfunctional family and upbringing (!!) and there were many events that I wouldn't want to put my children through, but I like my life and don't have a negative thought on the past at all. It was what it was - it's over now - and it made me who I am. Even at the time, I just accepted that it was the way it was, and changed the things I didn't like. What else can you do?

So, maybe just look at it from a different perspective, Chum. Who knew you'd be as strong and successful as you are, all from your own efforts. You know yourself inside and out because of all those challenges. And that's a wonderful thing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 09:58 am
@Chumly,
My only remedy these days is to get so busy, there is no time to be down. I and also bear, went through childhoods similar to yours. I don't think the depression ever goes totally away. But, I as I said keep busy.
drillersmum

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 10:17 am
@Chumly,
big sighs... I'm not much good at this... but your love for your departed faithful dog is so much in my mind... would you consider replacing him/her? The love of my life is just 7 and already I dread the day when he won't be around. To survive I will probably have to replace him with a replica puppy. Without him or his reincarnation I know I will perish. A lot of people are wishing you well.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 10:38 am
@edgarblythe,
Does your poetry overcome any down times you may have?

BBB
Tai Chi

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 11:08 am
@Chumly,
Are you performing much these days, Chumly? Did you find when you were making music that you could keep depression at bay better or for longer periods of time? (I know you're really busy with teaching.) I always feel better when I sing. I suspect it has a lot to do with deep breathing. (I practise t'ai chi too -- deep breathing -- oxygen to the brain is a good thing.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 11:50 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
It possibly helped back when I was writing it. These days, I do mostly prose and my new poems sucks.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:02 pm
@Chumly,
I sniff glue...

or fuss about with my plants and fishes.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:15 pm
@Chumly,
Notice that the "self" which emerges from depression is not the "self" that was depressed. Hence those "spiritual axioms" which advocate "dissolution of self".
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, you are such a talented writer and I admire your poetry---prose---shopping lists---A2K postings, etc. etc. Nothing you put a pen to sucks.

Now, I hope you won't say I've embarrassed you with praise and demand I delete this post.

BBB

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:36 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I thrive on compliments, BBB. Even misguided ones.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 06:10 am
@Chumly,
Quote:
What do you do to keep yourself on the up and up and put your best foot forward?

This is not the best of times to ask me, Chumly, as I'm a bit down in the dumps myself.
But you have my sympathy. It isn't much fun, feeling like this, is it?
One thing I know (& you know) for sure, is that this will pass. It always does.
In the meantime, I recommend being kind to yourself & to try not to succumb to negativity, or to judge yourself too harshly.
Walking helps a lot, too, as you've mentioned.
I don't know if you're a gardener or not, but getting stuck into pruning, weeding, planting, mowing, really takes my mind completely off everything else. And it's a terrific feeling at the end of a big gardening session, standing back & admiring your own handiwork! Smile

I created a similar thread, some months ago. The good folk here posted lots of very good advice. I'll post the link here if you like.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 07:27 am
So how are things with you today, Chumly?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 12:38 pm
I'm much obliged indeed for everyone's wonderful posts!

I've been asked to teach a different year of the apprenticeship so I have no time to be self-absorbed, plus the rains have stopped and it's a stunning early fall day.
0 Replies