Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 07:13 pm
@JazzMinnie,
JazzMinnie wrote:

I get it I get it.

I'm glad you get it!
0 Replies

g day

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 08:51 pm
To the original question, simply put, you're wrong, 0/0 <> 1.

Anything divided by zero is undefined - by definition of the laws that define a field. To the rest of your logic - shudder... If its a paradoy of logic - well it's too subtle for it to be easily accessible to most folk here, if you're sincere - guess you have a early understanding of number theory and fields.

So some simple advice to you - stay away from zero and infinities for awhile Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:03 pm
@guigus,
Zero by itself has no value.
north

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 11:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Zero by itself has no value.

true

but in accounting , which is where Zero originated from

and Zero was created in the Sanskrit of accounting

meaning that you having nothing or not of a thing

now we have juxta-position this accounting idea onto other mathematics
guigus

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 04:11 am
@g day,
g day wrote:

To the original question, simply put, you're wrong, 0/0 <> 1.

Anything divided by zero is undefined - by definition of the laws that define a field. To the rest of your logic - shudder... If its a paradoy of logic - well it's too subtle for it to be easily accessible to most folk here, if you're sincere - guess you have a early understanding of number theory and fields.

So some simple advice to you - stay away from zero and infinities for awhile Smile

Anything but zero divided by zero is undefined (has no value). Zero divided by zero is indeterminate (has any value):

1. No number multiplied by zero results in a nonzero value (? * 0 = 1), so no nonzero value divided by zero has a quotient (1 / 0 = ?).
2. Any number multiplied by zero results in a zero value (0 * 0 = 0), so zero divided by zero equals any number (0 / 0 = [1, 2, 3, ... x].

This is elementary arithmetics.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 10:48 am
@north,
Having worked as an accountant, if the balance is zero, it means it has no value. It doesn't affect the balance sheet, income statement, accounts receivable, accounts payable, or anything else listed. It has no value, and is not part of the computation to arrive at balancing the financial statements.
g day

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 06:14 pm
@guigus,
guigus - still not correct

Zero divided by zero doesn't equal any number it equals every number meaning 0/0 value is indeterminate; as a number field is isomorphic (one to one and onto) zero has to be treated with a special definition. Sorry but this rule takes precedent.

Treating it any other way is chicanery - its like saying infinity times zero equals one and hoping folks won't know the slight of hand that was just pulled.

Sorry but if you're using the rules of a field - you have to use all the rules and know which has precedent and why!

Smile
guigus

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 06:58 pm
@g day,
g day wrote:

guigus - still not correct

Zero divided by zero doesn't equal any number it equals every number meaning 0/0 value is indeterminate; as a number field is isomorphic (one to one and onto) zero has to be treated with a special definition. Sorry but this rule takes precedent.

Treating it any other way is chicanery - its like saying infinity times zero equals one and hoping folks won't know the slight of hand that was just pulled.

Sorry but if you're using the rules of a field - you have to use all the rules and know which has precedent and why!

Smile

You are saying precisely the same as I am: that zero divided by zero is any number -- by which it is every number, since there is no mathematical reason for giving any preference for some particular number as being that quotient. Which is precisely the meaning of the word "indeterminate."
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 07:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Having worked as an accountant, if the balance is zero, it means it has no value. It doesn't affect the balance sheet, income statement, accounts receivable, accounts payable, or anything else listed. It has no value, and is not part of the computation to arrive at balancing the financial statements.

To say that something being zero means it has no value is the same as to say that someone being dead means he/she is not alive: the balance being zero means it is correct, so it affects that balance by means of its validation.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 07:34 pm
@guigus,
Wrong analogy; accounting and "being dead" has no relationship whatsoever.
guigus

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 08:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Wrong analogy; accounting and "being dead" has no relationship whatsoever.

This is not the analogy I made, which was rather between zero as meaning to have no value and being dead as meaning to be not alive -- an analogy that not even refers to accounting.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 09:41 pm
@guigus,
I'm not sure where you learned English, but you wrote
Quote:
is the same as
. How is that not an analogy?
guigus

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 07:29 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'm not sure where you learned English, but you wrote
Quote:
is the same as
. How is that not an analogy?

Did I say it was not an analogy? Here is what I said:

guigus wrote:
This is not the analogy I made, which was rather between zero as meaning to have no value and being dead as meaning to be not alive -- an analogy that not even refers to accounting.

Which, as far as I can tell, means it is an analogy, but one between "zero as meaning to have no value and being dead as meaning to be not alive" -- hence by no means involving accounting.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 10:18 am
@guigus,
Sneaky! Making clarity endings to statements already made is read and understood differently. Good try, but no cuppy doll.
guigus

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 04:53 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Sneaky! Making clarity endings to statements already made is read and understood differently. Good try, but no cuppy doll.

Sorry, but I didn't quite get your point.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 11:35 am
@guigus,
You wouldn't.
guigus

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 08:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You wouldn't.

Or perhaps you have no point at all (as I secretly know you haven't, but don't tell anyone).
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 08:50 pm
Enough gibberish, back to the point:

Zero divided by zero has any quotient (0 / 0 = 1, 0 / 0 = 2, ...), since any number multiplied by zero equals zero (1 * 0 = 0, 2 * 0 = 0, ...). The division of zero by zero has the opposite behavior of the division of any other number by zero (1 / 0 = ?, 2 / 0 = ?, ...), which has no quotient, since no number multiplied by zero equals a nonzero number (? * 0 = 1, ? * 0 = 2, ...).

The mathematical fact that zero divided by zero has any quotient makes that division indeterminate, while the mathematical fact that the division of any nonzero number by zero has no quotient makes that division undefined.

(This is not yet my point, made at the beginning of this thread -- this is not yet philosophy, but only mathematics.)
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 09:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

exactly

but back to the origination of why zero was introduced into accounting , was the person to understand his own position as far as assets

zero sheep , cattle , certain crops etc.

not that the above didn't exist , they do , but rather you don't possess any of them
guigus

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 04:03 am
@north,
north wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

exactly

but back to the origination of why zero was introduced into accounting , was the person to understand his own position as far as assets

zero sheep , cattle , certain crops etc.

not that the above didn't exist , they do , but rather you don't possess any of them

Zero is quantitative nothingness, not simple nothingness. Here is the difference between zero and simple nothingness:

1. No number (simple nothingness) multiplied by zero results in one.
2. Zero (quantitative nothingness) multiplied by zero results in zero.

Quantitative nothingness is a number -- zero -- while simple nothingness is no number.