research novel 1765: reverend in British army?

manono

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 06:06 am
Time and location novel : 1765 in an English colony in North-America, somewhere in the wilderness. A captain and soldiers are inspecting a convict colony (fiction).
One caracter is someone who knows to say the prayers for the deceased, to marry people, to give sermons on Sunday.
First I described him as an almoner. (but I couldn't find any 'almoner' in the Britisch army in the 18th century) Then as a reverend.

My first question is : did the British army then and there have someone with the rank of a soldier who could perform the above mentioned actions?
The problem in my novel is that this caracter should be low enough in rank so that the captain doesn't have to dine with him every evening. The caracter is also rather obscure.

Second question : The captain doesn't dine with any one, not even with the doctor, not even with is lieutenants. He prefers to eat alone. Is that acceptable in that fictitious situation? Or out of the question?

Third question: Did a 'man of God' make a spot 'holy' for burials? In this case it would be a spot outside the palissade. I need to know this because one of the convicts commits suicide and this 'man of God' refuses to bury her in the 'graveyard'.

All answers and details are more than welcome. Thank you in advance.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 799 • Replies: 0
No top replies