Dictionary Recommendations?

Quincy

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 06:53 am
Hi everyone.

I have three large, single-volume dictionaries (Concise Oxford, Reader's Digest Unversal, Penguin) but I am looking for something more comprehensive, a book that will include all the obsolete Modern English words. I'm not too interested if it contains technical words. I am thinking of getting the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary or the Comapact Edition of the OED. I can't afford the OED itself. However my eyesight is already quite poor so I'm worried about getting the CEOED. Any recommendations? Oxford dictionaries or other?
Also, are there any differences between the editions? For instance, I have the fifth edition of the COD and my sister has the eleventh, and there are many differences (I prefer the fifth). Which edition will be the best?

Thank-you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,603 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 07:28 am
You might wait for a while. The OED will no longer be offered in a print edition, but only on CD-ROM or through an online subscription. If you get a CD-ROM, and are viewing it on your computer, you can easily change the settings to large print to make it easier for you to read.
Quincy

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 07:44 am
@Setanta,
I think I might get the CD when it comes out, thanks Smile
But I would also like a book since I don't much like working on a computer, and I read in all funny places, like the garden.
Let me clarify: my eyesight is not very bad. I checked out the CEOED at the book shop and I was able to read it without my glasses, but I'm guessing it will put strain on my eyes and I do not want them to deteriorate, or is this an unreasonable concern?
Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 07:49 am
@Quincy,
No, it is not an unreasonable concern at all. My eyesight is deteriorating, and i try to take care of my eyes so as not to accelerate the process. Unfortunately, the OED will soon no longer be offered in a print version. I don't know what the case will be with the various American dictionaries.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 09:04 am
@Quincy,
Have you considered e-readers? They have built-in dictionaries; currently they're limited but as and when the OED goes completely electronic they'll probably offer an e-reader option as alternative to CDs:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9183458/E_reader_roundup_8_devices_compete_for_the_crown
Quote:
Depending on the brand, you can change the size of the font, specify the typeface, select a set of foreign language characters, zoom in on photos and graphics, or rotate the page orientation from portrait to landscape. If you encounter an unfamiliar word, pressing a button or touching an icon will display the built-in dictionary's definition.
Quincy

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 03:13 am
@High Seas,
Sorry about the late reply, I've been quite busy.

I don't know how I feel about e-readers. For the moment I still prefer good old books, Very Happy. How easy is t to jump back and forth between pages in an e-reader. Anyway, it's something to think about.
0 Replies