Will "Funner" ever become a word?

xifar

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 05:39 pm
I understand that fun has practically become an adjective in modern English, but how many people here think that the word "fun" will even follow the rule that monosyllabic adjectives can be made into their comparative form by adding "er" (i.e. taller, bigger, fatter, etc.).

Whether people like it or not, I think that "funner" will eventually become ingrained into our language. Maybe what we are seeing is the evolution of language at work.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,646 • Replies: 50
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 07:29 pm
i think it is pretty well engrained already. Most people I know would say it is a word.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:06 pm
Ewww. . . NO. funner will never be correct english, no matter how many people say it. It's not the "evolution of language", actually, it's just a violation of an english grammar rule (not that many people actually know or follow most english grammar rules anyway).

The rule actually happens to be along the lines that monosyllabic adjectives that derive from German or Anglo-Saxon dialects are made comparative by adding -er. However, all ther adjectives, including those monosyllabic adjectives that have come from other languages, take simply a "more".

This discussion reminds me of Duden, the authority on German grammar. . . there are lots of colloquial usages that are fairly common in speech but, time and time again, "Duden considers this use to be substandard". . . no matter how many people say it, 'funner' will always be a mark of substandard speech, will never be accepted in writing, and will not be accepted into any version of Webster's.

Ugh. . . 'funner' is right up there on my list of pet peeves along with selecting the wrong 'your' and people on the internet who spell out things like "I use to do x". . .
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:16 pm
What princessash said. Twice.
0 Replies

xifar

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:25 pm
I agree completely. This was brought up when one of my friends used the word "funner", but when I told them I thought it was not correct, they cited the fact that it is an adjective and that it follows the rule that governs all monosylabic adjectives. I did not really have a clear reason why that didn't make sense, so I came here.

Could you give me a few examples of monosylaic adjectives that use "more" to form the comparitive? I think it would make more sense to them if I could give them examples of word that "act" like fun. Thanks for clearing this up.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:30 pm
There's another thread about fun as an adjective going on as we speak... This is the first time I've tried to link to another thread, so bear with me...

Fun as an Adjective...

Hey! It worked! Smile
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:31 pm
right, wrong, bad (of course, that's the quality variation found in most languages, but I still don't wanna hear "badder" :-)), good, bored, tired (where I'm from, that's one syllable)

Those jump immediately to mind. . . you might also remind your friend of speedier, luckier, happier, all polysyllable adjectives that take an -er. . . it all depends on the origin of the word.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:32 pm
Bad, bad Leroy Brown,
The baddest cat in the whole darn town... Smile

And don't nobody say funnest, neither!
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:33 pm
Oh, beautiful linking, Wy :-)

At this point, after reading that thread, I have to remember that with superlatives, all the rules go out the window. . . technically, the superlative of "fun" should be, of course, "most fun", but funnest is actually considered a current and acceptable use. . .

However, like I said on another thread, I'm one of the twenty or so people in the entire world that actually says "it is she" to answer "can I talk to Ashley?" and "she is greater than I". . . us grammarians are a dying breed. . .
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:34 pm
(you'll notice the playful usage of 'us' instead of the nominative 'we' in the preceding post. . .)

;-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:35 pm
Okiedokie, you guys can keep scowling at all the bad grammarians out here on the funner side of the street. hehe. Actually, I doubt I'll ever use funner.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:37 pm
very good, k. . . reject the spiritual forces of wickedness and all that :-)

nice avatar, xifar :-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:38 pm
I can't help it, I was born to an english major (who, by the way, gave up onthe funner debate years ago).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:39 pm
Of course funner is a word. In Arkansas.
0 Replies

xifar

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:48 pm
Thank you, I just uploaded it. And, I don't think I will ever use funner (except to annoy my friends of course).
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:50 pm
I always reply "This is she" to telemarketers... takes 'em aback, it does...
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:50 pm
I use it to taunt my sister, admittedly. . . but her grammar is so bad she hardly notices. . . <scoff>
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:52 pm
oh, wy, it confuses the hell out of EVERYONE. . . my friends are like "are you sure? you sound like my grandma" :-)
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:55 pm
Does their grandma answer your phone? Smile
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:58 pm
you know, I've never asked, but the way they say it. . . . .
0 Replies