Limping & stomach problems

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 09:03 pm
"Hi:
My one yr old shih-tzu - (long story)
She started to limp, out of no reason on 8/31, Tues night. So I bought her to the vet on Wed afternoon,but the vet didnt find anything wrong,& thought she might just have a muscle strain,asked us to wait it out. Thursday, she acted really sicked, looking like she tried to through out,but couldn't, her breathing became really fast,& she had sticky saliva. So, I was nervous, called the vet, he asked me to bring her in on Fri. Friday, got her in, had a X-ray, the Vet was suspicious that she might have unusual object, but couldn't tell until he did a GI surgery. GI surgery was performed on Saturday 9/4. My pup has been recovering very slowly according to the vet. The vet was suprised she acted so lethargic because of the tiny mushroom that stuck in her stomach; the vet was expecting her to recover quicker after the surgery, but she didn't.
We got her back on Tuesday 9/7, she started eat some chicken Tue & wed & thurs night, and in better spirit.Had a re-check with the vet, vet said she is okay. But, she stopped eating again Fri,sat,and Sun -only eating apple sauce.
So, I became nervous again. At the same time, her limping became obvious again, this time, is her back leg (previously was hint leg). She couldnt even hold herself while urinating.
I bought her back to the same clinic, but another vet for re-check. This time, the 2nd vet said she has poly-arthritis.
On Saturday (9/18),i will bring her back to take out stiches, the 2nd vet said might start her on steriod.
PLease give me advices, what should I do? Why GI problem + poly-arthritis happened At the Same time??
Her blood work is normal, (shouldn't poly-arthirtis has high WBC count? ) -her joint culture is -ve, swollen back leg.

Thank you so much for your help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,035 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Pemerson

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 09:22 pm
@may500 ,
Hi May500. My little dashound turned up lame (limped and yelped when we picked him up). Vet said put him in a crate for a month and gave us a pain killer. He didn't eat much and was happy to just sit around, couldn't hardly get outside, pulled himself up the door stoop with front paws. It's been probably two months and now he is like his old self. What a relief! The only thing we do different now is give him a doggy capsule of condroiton and glucosamene (spelled phonically), good for arthritis.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 09:26 pm
@may500 ,
Hi May500. My little dashound turned up lame (limped and yelped when we picked him up). Vet said put him in a crate for a month and gave us a pain killer. He didn't eat much and was happy to just sit around, couldn't hardly get outside, pulled himself up the door stoop with front paws. It's been probably two months and now he is like his old self. What a relief! The only thing we do different now is give him a doggy capsule of condroiton and glucosamene (spelled phonically), good for arthritis.

Does your dog jump up on bed or furniture? Well, Odie did, but he doesn't anymore. They take care of themselves, you know. Hope your dog gets better. I don't understand why your first vet operated on him. Mine wouldn't x-ray him because it could cause more harm, laying him out in such a way on his back or side.
0 Replies