The importance of sports in children's lives

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 01:36 am
@wmwcjr,
Hey, wm, I like your introspection, and always saw your point of view even when I was nattering against it.

But, you brat, my name is ossobuco, in italian - due to the thirty seconds I took a lot of years ago on picking a screen name. I'm a woman who is interested about italy - even I bore myself on that.

Be well.

Adds, many use the word ossobucco. I take it as german.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 01:42 am
Quote:
The importance of sports in children's lives
I suspect that it is near O.
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 05:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Oops! Sorry I misspelled your username. I was tired at the time.

Well, I think what I’m going to do from now on is to avoid posting in any thread that deals with any of the few hot-button issues of mine, especially any that is associated in my mind with any emotional pain on my part. At least in those situations in which the audience in question would not be expected to be very sympathetic to my point of view. Since I started posting at websites in the spring of last year, I’ve lost my temper several times (and apologized each time), which is something I never do in real life when I talk to people face to face. Board messaging seems to remove inhibitions. I must admit that I did take this issue too seriously. I mean, after all, what difference does it make? Do I or fbaezer have any power to formulate school policy? Of course, not. So, it could be said that we were just shooting into the wind.

Quote:
Be well.
Thank you. I reciprocate. Best wishes.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 05:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, your post tickles me. In other words, it gave me a good laugh today.

I always find your posts interesting, even though I may not always agree with every single political statement you make (no big deal). Do I always agree with anyone? No, obviously not. Not even my wife. Your posts -- with their mixture of fonetik words, letters of different size and colorization, pointedness, and humor -- are interesting little works of art that provide information and/or amusement.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 11:19 pm
@wmwcjr,
Thank u.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 11:21 pm

If schools tawt sports that had VALUE,
like fishing, hunting, gunnery, archery,
then I coud see the point,
but running around in circles ????
in the grass ??

I don 't think so.

David
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 11:31 pm
Wm, part of the draw of a2k is that we can learn to express our grievances sanely, sometimes under a kind of fire, or what we take as fire. Some arguers here have become real life friends - I know that is hard to fathom.

I'm an only child who wasn't allowed to sass. I'm now much older, seems like a century, learning how to talk straight with calm even now. I'm not alone in this.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 11:38 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Wm, part of the draw of a2k is that we can learn to express our grievances sanely, sometimes under a kind of fire,
or what we take as fire. Some arguers here have become real life friends - I know that is hard to fathom.

I'm an only child who wasn't allowed to sass. I'm now much older, seems like a century, learning how to talk straight with calm even now. I'm not alone in this.
Just roll with the punches,
go with the flow, clobber anyone u want
when u want to, and have a lot of fun.

Shoud we compare posting in A2K
to riding in bumper cars ???

Express your innermost essence.

As Richard Bach put it:
we r "the otters of the Universe."

David
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 11:41 pm
Of course, sports are important in the lives of children. If that's what they like to do. Music is also important in children's lives. So is playing jacks or playing cards. They should do what they want to do. Tennis, sword fighting, chess. Make sure they try a few things, choose what they like most. What's the big deal.

One of my kids was very stocky, he liked to hunt, fish (ice fishing too), hike. Didn't choose to play sports. The other was a wirey kid, like a rubber band, and excelled at any sport. Both were smallish until about age 14, 15, then they shot up to almost 6 ft. I am 5'5" and husband is 5'9 1/2". They were afraid they'd be short. Don't know why I worried about it; they both were born with huge feet.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 11:50 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:
They should do what they want to do.
Indeed, thay SHOUD. That 's AMERICA.

David
wmwcjr

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 12:43 pm
@Pemerson,
Thank you for your comments, Pemerson! You get another "thumbs up." Smile
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 12:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Right on! Laughing
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 12:58 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Wm, part of the draw of a2k is that we can learn to express our grievances sanely, sometimes under a kind of fire, or what we take as fire. Some arguers here have become real life friends - I know that is hard to fathom.

It's interesting that the experience we need eventually comes our way, with perfect timing.

When I was waaay younger people would say rude or hurtful things to me, and I would say nothing because of why I didn't know. Most thought of me as being rather calm and cool. God, is anybody? Then I went through a stage of telling people who irked me in no uncertain terms what I thought of them, mostly very loudly. Probably that was about the time I began riding and owning horses. What a way to wake up strong emotions held back. Guess I did some screaming.

I once read somewhere that if a part of you (or your body) is weak, then it's a good idea to use that part, exercise it, to bring about a balance in both body and mind.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 06:23 pm
The link posted below helps me make my point. This is a good way to let others speak for themselves. People who, incidentally, when they were kids, were denied a voice regarding the P.E. they were forced to take against their will, since no one cared how they were treated in the first place.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x71920
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 05:22 am
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
People who, incidentally, when they were kids, were denied a voice
regarding the P.E. they were forced to take against their will,
Whether the victims were denied a voice or not was within their own hands.
The offense coud be executed only with the victims' co-operation.
Thay need not consent to be governed.

David
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 12:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I understand what you're saying, David. (By the way, Happy New Year!) But these were just kids, and kids often have no knowledge of what their rights are. (I was extremely ignorant of the world when I was in elementary school and junior high. I certainly wasn't as smart and self-confident as you were.) And many of them have been taught by their parents and others to submit to authority, especially in a school setting. (Granted, this may not be as common today as it was when I was a boy.) And some boys don't feel free to tell their parents because they adhere to an honor code of not complaining to their parents, even when they're hurting. This certainly has been true of many boys who have been bullied. They loathe being tattletales. And some of them have simply become fatalistic. That's my two cents' worth. Don't know if it makes any sense.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 02:28 am
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
I understand what you're saying, David. (By the way, Happy New Year!) But these were just kids, and kids often have no knowledge of what their rights are. (I was extremely ignorant of the world when I was in elementary school and junior high. I certainly wasn't as smart and self-confident as you were.) And many of them have been taught by their parents and others to submit to authority, especially in a school setting. (Granted, this may not be as common today as it was when I was a boy.) And some boys don't feel free to tell their parents because they adhere to an honor code of not complaining to their parents, even when they're hurting.
Then it is a question of TO WHOM THAY OWE THEIR LOYALTY.
Did thay pledge allegiance to the offenders??
That seems unlikely. Depending upon the severity of the offense,
thay might have recourse to the police.
Thay shoud certainly discuss the situation with their attorneys.

wmwcjr wrote:
This certainly has been true of many boys who have been bullied.
They loathe being tattletales.
Is vengeance better ?

0 Replies