The importance of sports in children's lives

wmwcjr

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 05:56 pm
http://www.bullyonline.org/cases/case97.htm

Quote:
Case Histories at Bully Online

Bullying in school sports

Case history #97

When I entered the seventh grade I loved football. Unfortunately I was small for my age and could not play, so I signed up to be the equipment manager. I enjoyed being with the team and working to keep things running smoothly. Of course, I didn’t know what I know now: adults often live vicariously through children and teenagers.

I didn’t know it when I started, but the coaches despised me. First it began with a few comments about my size or lack of strength. Then the harassment began with a few of the players and the other managers. The worst occurred one day when I had been sent into the supply closet to sort equipment. I was working alone when suddenly two players and three other managers came in. Normally, they would be out at the practice…they had been sent in to me. One grabbed me, the others helped place me into a large equipment bag. The top was held shut while I struggled to get free. It seemed everyone began to kick me so I curled up in the fetal position to wait it out. It seemed like forever and I can remember to this day the kicks and the laughter and the names being yelled at me. Suddenly the bag was loose and I freed myself. To my surprise, practice had ended. The players were filing by laughing and the coach stood over me saying, “We need to toughen you up.” He had watched and condoned the event.

From that day on, I was not safe in the locker room at school. I avoided football practice by intentionally getting detention or by making up excuses to miss. I had always been taught to be dependable and to respect my teachers. I felt I had no where to turn. I could not escape because the coach was also my PE teacher.

This coach would continue to harass me. I remember the PE classes where myself and other small kids would be made fun of in front of everyone. “Don’t cry” was the only advice I would give myself, waiting to get home to cry, knowing my tears would only be fuel for this coach. This coach liked to single kids out each day with a game. We would play some sort of group game where the winners could return to the locker room one by one, leaving the loser for the end. This last would be called the “Greenie Weenie” and his name would be placed on a chalkboard for everyone to see. I remember how hard I would try to avoid being last. On one particular day, I tried as hard as I could and actually came in second to last. I wasn’t the last!!! The coach just looked at me and said, “You are always the greenie weenie” and wrote my name on the board as he laughed.

I think what bothers me the most is that all this still affects me. I am respected in my field. I am well thought of, have a nice family, etc, but these memories attack me all over again. I have more education than this man. I am more accomplished, yet just his memory seems to have power to put me down again and again.

What have I drawn from this? I believe children need to be taught to be honest. Teachers should be respected but children need to know that adults, even trusted ones, can hurt. These teachers should be reported immediately. Parents who raise concerns and children who report such things should not be viewed as troublemakers or disrespectful. Of course the biggest question is how is someone like this left unsupervised or unnoticed. School officials need to learn that the safety of the kids in the school is THEIR responsibility.

Well, you know what they say. Athletics builds character. Rolling Eyes

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 06:19 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
Well, you know what they say. Athletics builds character. Rolling Eyes
I wonder what the reasoning for that is.
If u hit a ball with a wooden club and then run around in circles,
then u have better "character" ?

David
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 06:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I wouldn't know what the reasoning is. I just heard it ad infinitum as I was growing up (despite evidence to the contrary which I personally witnessed); so, it must be true. This is what most of the A2K members who post in the Sports Board believe. David, I returned to this topic to reply to you; otherwise, I would have left this topic and the entire Sports Board alone. I have no intention of ever visiting here again. No use wasting my time with people who have closed minds.

So, yes, I'm leaving. HOORAY!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 07:58 pm
@wmwcjr,

It was good knowing u, Bill !
I wish u happiness.
MERRY CHRISTMAS to u and your wife.

David
wmwcjr

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 01:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm not leaving the forum. Smile I'll continue to post elsewhere, but I'll avoid this Sports Board like the plague (starting right now).
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 01:46 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
I'm not leaving the forum. Smile I'll continue to post elsewhere,
but I'll avoid this Sports Board like the plague (starting right now).
OK. MERRY CHRISTMAS, anyway.

David
wmwcjr

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
May you have a politically incorrect Smile Merry Christmas as well, my friend!

New Year's Resolution: To not waste my time posting or even visiting this Sports Board. Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:37 pm
I have to say that on reading all your posts, and the few of fbaezer, I think you are off on an high horse, wc.

You are going to leave the sports forum?

Give me a break.

We have in common the interest.

You treat sports like a pimple. There is a lot of controversy within sports.
It is more than that.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Reading your posts is like reading a four year old. Ok, fourteen.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:44 pm

Maybe students in class shoud be counselled
to practice fonetic spelling and to complain to their lawyers
qua bullying, or to the police, if violence was involved.

David
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:44 pm
@wmwcjr,
You are almost uniquely yelling about a whole segment of conversation because someone disagreed with you.

Get a grip and argue back.
wmwcjr

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 12:49 am
@ossobuco,
*sigh* I shouldn't have, but I yielded to temptation.

I had already made compelling arguments against imposing compulsory sports on nonathletic boys, but fbaezer ignored them all. Why should I argue with someone who obviously has a closed mind? Perhaps you're not exactly "fair and balanced" yourself. Why does it even matter to you what I say? You're already on his side, anyway. You say that I treat sports like a pimple. Well, certain unnamed individual members of this forum treat sports like a religion that should be viewed as sacred. Yes, I lost my temper here because I realized that making a sound argument is not enough when people have closed minds. I certainly had no quarrel with you until you interjected yourself into this controversy. All right, I'll take you up on your challenge (tomorrow, for crying out loud, when I have time); but I'll probably regret it. No matter how many facts I present, I will lose here because people already have their minds made up. But in your view, I'm the evil one. Sheesh! Incidentally, fbaezer is the one who started this argument; but you choose to insult me.
wmwcjr

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 01:05 am
@wmwcjr,
... and, ma'am, I'll explain what I'm against and what I'm not against. There might be some confusion here.

But tell me, ma'am, what is the real purpose of all of this, in the first place? Is the purpose to allow people to present different views for consideration, or is the real purpose of this forum to allow some clique to bash some outsider who doesn't happen to conform to the party line? And, by the way, ma'am, you don't even know me. You certainly don't know why I hold to certain views. So, please be careful when you say that someone sounds like a 14-year-old simply because you disagree with what he says. By the way, if you disagree with someone, why do you knock him if he says that he's going to give up and leave? That way, you don't have to listen to what he says.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 02:09 am
@ossobuco,
You say I treat sports like a pimple. Some people treat sports as sacred. It is less than that.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 02:26 am
@wmwcjr,
Listen, I actually get your view. But you are whining unrelentingly.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 03:42 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Listen, I actually get your view. But you are whining unrelentingly.
People talk about what thay wanna talk about.

Did u complain to George McGovern that he kept whining
about peace too much, or to Martin L. King that
he already MADE his point and he shoud shut the hell up ????

Did u???? I bet that u did not.

David
wmwcjr

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 09:12 am
@fbaezer,
You have surprised me (in the positive sense of the word). I had expected that your second response would not be restrained. I have to give you credit for handling yourself well.

Ossobucco has informed me by PM that you don't condone bullying. Since she has shown herself to be one of the nicer members of this forum, to me she has credibility. So, I will apologize to you publicly for misjudging you.

But there are still many adults who condone the bullying of children in the schools, and I am convinced that more bullying occurs in mandatory "sports only" P.E. than in all the academic classes combined. I have apologized to you for misjuding you, but my position on mandatory "sports only" P.E. (as opposed to genuine fitness classes that actually do some good instead of harm) remains unchanged.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 09:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks for defending me. I appreciate it.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 10:04 am
I should have known better and not checked the topic listings of this board to see who had posted lately. But I couldn't resist the temptation to check out ossobucco's post. So, when I did, I naturally had to respond. Makes me look foolish, I know, after saying that I would not come back to the Sports Board. So much for my pledge. Laughing

Ossobucco urged me to get a grip and go back and argue my points. After trepidation, I viewed fbaezer’s last post (which I had ignored) so I would be able to respond to his comments. As it has turned out, he has not said much, which is not intended to be a criticism. In fact, he has handled himself well by exercising restraint. I lost my temper because I got frustrated, and the reason I got frustrated was that I thought compelling arguments I had already made were being ignored. I am personally involved in this issue; it’s not a mere academic exercise to me. So, I cannot think of anything else to say specifically to fbaezer. I will make a few comments to clarify my own position.

There is a very real sense in which I am not anti-sports. I appreciate the dedication and self-discipline that is involved in the mastery of a sport, just as I appreciate dedication and self-discipline in any endeavor. Would anyone deny that dedication and self-discipline is not involved in academic achievement, such as becoming proficient in chemistry or physics? Yet nonathletic boys who do achieve in this way are often dismissed as “nerds.”

I have no problem with the actual games themselves, although an argument could be made that some sports are actually risky to one’s health. Participating in a sport is a morally neutral activity. I don’t object to sports; I object to compulsory sports. And I’m also convinced that there is a culture associated with (but not inherently a part of) certain school sports (certainly not all sports) that denigrates and actually promotes the bullying of nonathletic boys. Over the years I’ve seen way too much evidence of this being true for me to think otherwise.

Please notice what I said. I said this culture is associated with certain sports. I did not say that this culture is inherently a part of them. Big difference here. Culture can be changed. Please notice that I also said “certainly not all sports.” I’ve noticed over the years that different sports have different cultures associated with them. For example, I’ve not heard reports of high-school swimmers bullying nonathletic boys. I’m not saying there aren’t any. I’ve just not heard of any. Interestingly enough, there was an Olympic swimmer from the United States who was bullied when he was in school, in large part, because he was participating in the “wrong” sport. (If I remember correctly, his name was Michael Phelps.) This is what he has said publicly. I also recognize that boys can participate in one of the school sports that is most afflicted by this machismo, such as football, and still bring his own moral values to the sport and not succumb to the culture that would encourage him to become arrogant and bully physically weaker, non-athletic boys at his school. I would even say that the majority of school athletes in those sports do not actually bully nonathletes, but I’m convinced that more than just a few of them do.

I once read an interesting post at another website that had been submitted by a high-school football player who was a decent kid. He said that most of his teammates viewed all the nonathletic guys at their school as fags. Last year a childhood friend of mine who played football in high school during the late 1960s told me that most of his teammates thought that nonathletic boys who had no interest in sports were inferior. What am I supposed to think when I hear such reports? The next step after viewing a particular group of people as supposedly being inferior is to start bullying them.

Finally (for now), at the risk of being repetitive, I think I’m in a unique position to comment on the issue of mandatory “sports only” P.E. regarding nonathletic boys. As a nonathlete I went through the disgrace of the hypocritical mandatory “sports only” P.E; and as a middle-aged adult (well, I’m 60 years old now), I’ve shown myself committed possibly for life to a bodybuilding program at a health club. I’ve kept with it for over two years, and I obviously will not give up. In other words, I’m neither a sports fan/athlete nor a guy who’s been sedentary his whole life; and I have seen for myself (in other words, have experienced) what works and what doesn't work for nonathletic guys..

My time is limited. I cannot spend as much time on the Internet as some people do. I will post again later if I see that there is any point to do so.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 01:11 am
Do you know what, gang? Ossobucco was right. I was on a high horse in the sense that I lost my cool and reacted way too emotionally. I don't retract any of my views, but I acknowledge that I went about expressing them in a totally inappropriate way that is wrong, is without class, and does no good. From now on I think I'll avoid posting about issues that effect me too strongly. I don't know what else to say. I'll just leave it at that.