The importance of sports in children's lives

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:44 pm
Sports were always important when I was growing up during the Great Depression. No one had much money and sports participation didn't cost much. The Albany California Bay Area YMCA was housed in a building on the corner of the block on which I lived. It had a great gym. I went there often and learned to tumble. I became quite good at it and joined the Tumbling Team.

Another member of my team was Zoe Ann Olsen. Zoe Ann and I became good friends. She had a job! She delivered the Albany Times once a week. Because our families couldn't afford bicycles, I helped Zoe Ann fold the papers, pack them into her red wagon, and walk her delivery route up Solano Avenue and along the Key Route Blvd. to Marin Avenue area.

Every weekend, either Zoe Ann's dad or my dad would drive us the long distance to the closest swimming pools: The Hayward Plunge or the Richmond Natatorium. I would splash around in the water, just goofing off, because I hated getting water up my nose. Zoe Ann, on the other hand, would swim laps and do belly flops off the diving boards. But Zoe Ann kept at it and became a good diver. Eventually, she became a U.S. National Diving Champion and went on to win a gold Medal in High Diving at the Olympics. After our graduation from High School, Zoe Ann married Jackie Jensen, the star quarterback at the University of California at Berkeley, who later went into Baseball for the New York Yankees, until crippling arthritis ended his career.

Speaking of Baseball, my father played short stop for the Ford Motor Company's Richmond baseball team. He was friends with several Oakland Acorns team members, who were part of the then Coast League coached by Casey Stengle, who went on to coach the Yankees. The team eventually became the Oakland As. One player I remember in particular, mostly because of his unusual name, Cotton Pippen, use to give us free tickets so we could go to the ball games, which were held at the Acorn's park in Emeryville. That was the same year that Vic Bergeron opened up a tiny restaurant-bar on San Pablo Avenue on the border between Emeryville and Oakland called "Trader Vics" where the ballplayers liked to hang out.

My dad was a door fitter in Ford's Richmond plant and maintained that job on a part-time basis through the Great Depression, which meant we were better off than some in our neighborhood. My dad also was a good bodyman. I used to listen to him pounding and smoothing out the fender dents on cars in our driveway, another way of making a few dollars. That's how I learned from my father the trick of drilling a tiny hole into the middle of a car fender dent; inserting a tiny crochet hook into the hole, and gently pulling the dented fender out to a smooth surface.

I also remember the hard decision my dad had to make when World War II started: whether to stay with Ford Motor Company or take a job at the Alameda Naval Air Station. He became a Planner and Estimator for the Station in Alameda, (the City in which I lived in until I moved to Albuquerque) until he retired. The Station finally was closed four years in the 1970s.

When I was first married, I lived around the corner from Billy Martin's Albany house, a white stucco home with the brightest blue front door and trim you ever saw. Every evening at 6 o'clock, the entire neighborhood plugged their ears to lessen the assault of Mrs. Martin's raspy voice screeching at the top of her lungs, "Billy! Dinner's ready." Billy's street was always blocked by kids playing baseball and car drivers soon learned to avoid that street in the afternoons after school. Billy, of course, went on to play baseball for the New York Yankees and even coaching the team. I think Billy was one of the most frequently fired coaches in baseball history. His disputes with Yankee owner George Steinbrenner are legend. Billy had a terrible temper as a teenager and never outgrew it, probably because people excused it due to his huge baseball talent---and because he began to drink heavily with some of his famous Yankee pals.

I've often wondered how so many great athletes happen to come from my immediate area at that time. For example, my cousin Margaret was on the American's Fencing Team that went to the Olympics the last time they were held in Australia. I went to dinner and the theater with three members of that team several times each year until I moved Albuquerque.

For myself, my sports activities ended when I was 36. I had always participated in team sports, instilling that same love of sports in my children. I was a member of a woman's Volleyball team. We won several championships. They tell me I had the deadliest serve in the league. I used to toss the ball and hit it from the side straight on, like a speeding bullet, just clearing the net. Hardly anyone could return my serve. I had to stand well-back from the rear court line because my serve was so fast it could go right out through an open gym door into the back parking lot if I got too close to the line. And because my serve was so low, just clearing the net, everyone tried to return the serve (it was hard to avoid the ball, it was either hit it or duck), so it hardly ever went out of bounds. It was not unusual, when I was in really good form, for me to serve almost an entire game without giving up the serve. It used to really piss-off the other side. My teammates loved winning, except they got bored just standing there with so few serves being returned. Well, that all ended one evening when I just took a step toward the volleyball net and tore the cartilage in my right knee from end to end. The injury was very bad and it was during the days before scope surgery used today. Eventually the knee was replaced. But that knee injury ended my sports activities and dramatically changed my life, leading to my later disability.

Even today, I cannot watch the women's volleyball teams at the Olympics without straining in my chair before the television, with involuntary lifting movements of my arms The body still trying in futility to slam a killer ball as when I was at the net. Oh, well, sigh!

However, I had some consolation. My children took to sports the same way I had. My son excelled in every sport he tried. He and my daughter became swimming champions, participating in the Greater Bay Area swim leagues. My daughter's breast stoke speed helped her relay teams to lots of first place medals and ribbons.

I've been so saddened at the reduction of after school sports and other activities, such as music and the arts, for youngsters in recent years. I hope this trend is finally being reversed as people and governments realize the importance of such activities to the positive mental and physical development and good citizenship of our youth. We can't all be Olympians, or even local champions, but we all can participate for our own well being.

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 10:43 pm
I agree with you that children should be provided opportunities to participate in sports and other extracurricular activities; and as a middle-aged man with type II diabetes, I certainly appreciate the need for exercise. For over two years I've been working out at a health club that is near my home. I've even hired a personal trainer to work with me on a bodybuilding program. I work out four times a week. On the other days of the week, I usually take a brisk hour-long walk in the neighborhood.

I would point out, though, that sports are not for everyone. I've never had an interest in sports. Certainly never did when I was a boy. Don't know why. I just never had an interest. Many people, who profess a concern over the increased occurrence of obesity in children, want P.E. to be mandatory. The mandatory sports-centered boys' P.E. of my generation was hellish for nonathletic boys, especially those who were physically weak or overweight. Even physically handicapped boys were required to take sports-centered P.E., which defies common sense. Of course, what often happened was that the nonathletic boys were bullied; and I don't mean just name-calling. I could tell you some real horror stories.

Please don't misunderstand me. The traditional P.E. classes should be retained for the school athletes and other students who want to participate in sports as an elective. The nonathletic students should be given a choice. There is absolutely no rationale for forcing nonathletic boys who have no interest in sports to participate in competitive team sports in mandatory P.E. classes. Physical fitness and high levels of physical strength can be achieved without participating in sports. Sports can be fun, of course, when they are not imposed upon those who have no interest in them; and, yes, sports are a way to be physically active. But, strictly speaking, a sport is a contest, not an exercise program. What physically unfit students need to do is get on an exercise program. There isn't a single sport that exercises all the muscles of the body. For example, a professional football player who starts taking ballet lessons will end up with sore muscles. I would emphasize the fact that nonathletic boys actually got very little exercise in mandatory P.E. I speak from my own experience. My health club experience has been the exact opposite of the mandatory P.E. that I had to put up with in school. As I've said elsewhere in this board, I now get more exercise in a single workout session with my personal trainer than I ever did in an entire year of mandatory sports-centered P.E.

Last year I learned that some school districts have provided P.E. programs that are more reasonable, but the old P.E. is still with us. I used to be opposed to mandatory P.E. Then I learned about the innovative PE4Life program, which (in my humble opinion) should be set up in all school districts. I've provided a link to an online article about PE4Life for the curious to read.

http://www.tolerance.org/magazine/number-22-fall-2002/personal-best

I'm certainly not denigrating anyone's love for sports. I'm simply saying that if P.E. is to be mandatory, a humane alternative (such as PE4Life, which I enthusiastically endorse) should be provided for the nonathletic kids.

aidan

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 02:18 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
My upbringing sounds a lot like yours BBB, except that I never became a champion at anything. I just enjoyed a lot of physical activity and was encouraged in this by both of my parents who also enjoyed physical activity.

My mother loved to swim and be in the water, so we all had swimming lessons and went swimming - most often in a lake not too far from our home. In the winter, we skated on the same lake. She took us - no one else was involved - not even a life guard.
She loved to roller skate, so on the nights my father was at night school gaining his degree after all six kids were born and old enough, she'd take us all roller skating - and she would skate with us.

My father was a wonderful athlete who lettered in baseball, basketball and track in highschool, so we were always having pick-up basketball and baseball games around our house. Even when my father couldn't move very well anymore, he still went out into the backyard every day and threw the frisbee to his dog - who'd catch it and deliver it back to him so he didn't have to take a step - my father just couldn't stand not to be outside and sitting idly inside all day.

So as far as gym class or organized sports went - I have to say those comprise the least of my memories in terms of physical activity. I've always been more of an unorganized sport or physical activity sort of person. I did play on a softball team - but when asked to join the team in college- I couldn't see myself adhering to any schedule - although I have always ridden my bike or hiked every single day - I've been taking a daily walk with a dog since I was old enough to walk by myself away from my home - probably since I was eight years old or so.

All of this is to say that I think parents should take a more active and perhaps THE most active role in encouraging physical activity with their children. I know I had my kids on bicycles (baby seats then tandem bikes and then their own bikes) since they were tiny. We've also always swam together, walked together, gone ice-skating and roller blading together - none of it was ever organized.
My son did excell at and enjoy organized sports in school and on community teams. He's an adult now and still plays soccer and baseball competitively.
My daughter was a great runner - but she's gotten somewhat lazy now in her teen years. Although she still does walk the dog and ride her bike.

But yeah- school is not the only place to be exposed to this stuff. I think home is the best place to have physical activity introduced and make it stick as a lifetime habit or enjoyment-no schedules, no requirements- just enjoyment of the outdoors and movement.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 03:17 am
When we were kids, we played marbles, hide and seek, and baseball. Went to the public pool in Sacramento where I learned to swim a little, but fishing took up most of our time during the summer months at the local park.

A few months ago when I drove into Sacramento, I drove by that park, and showed my wife where I was born across the street from that park.

I think my mother gave me my name, because the midwife's first name has part of my name in it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 07:12 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BBB wrote:
I've been so saddened at the reduction of after school sports [...] for youngsters in recent years

Has there been a reduction?

I'd believe that there's less ad-hoc neighborhood sports (kids playing baseball in the street) but I think organized after-school sports are alive and thriving. My kid does ballet all school year, soccer now, basketball later, and softball after that (so at least two sporting activities -- I do include ballet in that -- all school year). That's pretty common amongst the people we know. (Maybe tennis or karate rather than ballet, maybe swimming instead of basketball, etc., but a whole lot of sports.)
engineer

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 07:45 am
@sozobe,
This was my first thought as well. I see a lot more organized sports activity at the schools here than I ever had access to. My son's middle school offers team sports in volleyball, soccer, football, basketball, baseball and softball. There is a tennis league run by the local tennis association that is allowed into the middle schools although it is not officially a school event. The high schools offer just about every sport imaginable, sometimes making arrangements with community facilities for sports like swimming where the schools don't have their own facilities. Then there are community leagues with large city, religious and private organizations pushing basketball, baseball and soccer. One of my sons plays in a roller hockey league. Every pool in town has a summer swim team and there are two year-round swimming programs. I grew up in a major metropolitan area (about 10x the overall population of where I live now) and didn't have access to half of this stuff.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 08:02 pm
Great memories, BBB. Well told.

Sports are important in children's lives, in young people's lives, in adult's lives.
If you really want to know somebody, watch them interact in sports. There's where they really show who they are.

I am for mandatory P.E., even if there is some bullying (I remember in Junior High, at the end of the P.E. class, the whole school went out to see "the Sissy" run or jump or play basketball, just to jeer him... "I suffered a lot", he told me years later, in college).
When I was in the US -1967-68- I was bullyed somewhat, because I was small, younger and Mexican. But not in P.E. class, even if I was a 13-14 year old High School Junior competing against 16 and 17 year olds. Guess it has to do with attitude, and that counts more than the subject taught.
One thing that struck me about the US high schools is that they had teams on "everything": football, baseball, soccer, track and field, wrestling, cross-country, table tennis... and some had swimming, gymnastics, even golf teams! Our school in Mexico only had soccer, basketball and athletics.

I have done baseball (Little League, National champs) and athletics (Olympic race walking, which happens to be a national craze, up to the National Jr. championships) as a child and teenager. Those sports, plus others, as an adult but not in a really competitive level.

One thing I took into account for my kids' schools was the sports program and facilities. The boys were very sporty, both excelling in soccer , but also active in baseball (one even played semi-pro baseball in Germany for a short time), athletics, cycling, rowing (or canoeing). The girl never decided what sport to get into: she took into fencing, gymnastics, table-tennis, athletics... but where she really likes to sweat is dancing. The fact is that they all like sports, and understand what they really are about (which is not the case with everyone).

Can't leave this post without bragging about my very sports prone wife. A few months ago she won silver in a shortened triathlon at her sports club, 13 seconds behind the winner... an aerobics teacher 20 years younger than her.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 08:11 pm
Cool.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 12:07 am
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote: I am for mandatory P.E., [my italics] even if there is some bullying (I remember in Junior High, at the end of the P.E. class, the whole school went out to see "the Sissy" run or jump or play basketball, just to jeer him... "I suffered a lot", he told me years later, in college).

Wow, that's decent of you. You like bullying? Words fail me ...
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 08:14 am
@wmwcjr,
BBB wrote a wonderful opening post for this thread. Colorful and spot on. wmwcjr wrote a reasoned response that balances it out. It shows that there are two worlds when it comes to sports. I agree with both authors. As a kid, I was loath to join in any team games. And, like wmwcjr, got little exercise. There is no logic to the proposition that all kids must join in where they do not fit. fbaezer's contention that bullying is okay is just ludicrous. For kids that do not want team sports, what is wrong with running, calisthenics and the like? It doesn't even have to require expensive equipment.

These days, I like football (hated it as a child). I enjoyed the World Cup, along with my Latin American co workers. But I should not have been made to feel miserable about it when I was in grade school.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 11:18 am
@edgarblythe,
It seems to me, Edgar, that if you had taken up sports, we would have not enjoyed your wonderful poetry all these years. Life would be boring without your prose and your life stories. I know you've enriched mine.

BBB
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 11:37 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BBB, you have enriched my life more than you know.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 11:44 am
@edgarblythe,
I have? I've always thought I just irritated everyone.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 11:55 am
Geez, fbaezer didn't say he liked bullying.
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 12:57 pm
@fbaezer,
The argument is made that all schoolchildren, even those who have no interest in sports, should be forced to take mandatory P.E. I actually advocate physical fitness; but I also recognize (from my own boyhood experience, not to mention what other nonathletic guys have told me about their own experiences over the years) that the traditional “sports only” approach to mandatory P.E. often victimizes those who need exercise programs the most. I’m a very strong supporter of humane (and considerable more effective, I might add) programs such as PE4Life.

Before I continue, let me say that I don’t denigrate anyone’s love of sports. I include several former athletes among my close friends. What I do object to, though, is the intolerance against nonathletes that I believe does exist among some sports fans.

There is no justification for forcing nonathletic boys to participate in competitive team sports as mandated in the tired, old “sports only” approach. “But kids must be forced to play sports so they will be physically active and become fit.” The truth is that a sport is a physical contest, not an exercise program. The most efficient way to get into shape is by getting on an exercise program, not by learning to play a sport. There is not a single sport that exercises all the muscles of the body. For example, a professional football player who starts taking ballet lessons will end up having sore muscles. (And, no, I’m not an opera fan. Have no interest in it.) A guy can attain top levels of physical fitness without ever participating in a single sport. I know of two Navy SEALs who never participated in sports in high school. Can’t get any tougher than a Navy SEAL.

“Kids should be forced to play sports so they will learn about them. We should know about the rules and fundamentals of sports since sports are such a great part of our culture.” Oh, really? Following that flawed sort of reasoning, I could say, “All teenage school boys should be forced to take ballet lessons and participate in chess tournaments until they graduate from high school.” “But not all boys like ballet and chess.” “Really? But that’s no excuse. My preference should be forced upon them.”

Fbaezer, the premise of your former classmate being labeled a “Sissy” simply because he was not good at sports is totally wrong and false (not to mention cruel and unjust). Even today some people will say that any boy who has no interest in sports should be suspected of having homosexual tendencies, which is a particularly vile negative stereotype. Oh, really? The truth is that homosexual men have always participated in sports (including football), just as they have been active in just about every other realm of human activity. Ever hear of the former NFL player Esera Tuaolo, who once played in a Super Bowl game? He came out of the closet when he retired and said that he had been gay for most of his life. Does he qualify as a sissy in your estimation? There are countless examples of extremely courageous men who never had an interest in sports and even actively disliked them. Are they sissies, too?

Bullying nonathletic boys in mandatory “sports only” P.E. classes does not encourage them to become physically active and get on any exercise regimen. I’ve read many threads about the impact of traditional mandatory P.E. upon nonathletic students and have noticed a trend; and that is, nonathletic boys who were bullied in such P.E. classes shy away from any physical activity years later when they are adults. As far as “physical education” is concerned, all these boys learn is to fear (and resent) coaches and athlete classmates. This is the way to promote physical fitness?

A formerly active member of this forum is an online friend of mine who is an Englishman. As a boy he was required to take “sports only” P.E. in a school district in London. No physical fitness programs for nonathletic students were provided in these classes. His P.E. class once was divided into two teams so they could play a game of cricket. (Please note that my friend, a scrawny boy who wasn’t even interested in cricket, had no choice but to play in this game.) His team lost. When the game was over, one of his “teammates” walked over to him and smashed his face with a cricket bat, breaking his nose. Was the young thug sent to the British equivalent of juvenile detention? Of course not. He was merely suspended from school for a couple of days, which he probably viewed as a holiday instead of a punishment. When the punk returned to school, he shoved my friend into a locker.

Did anyone really care what happened to my friend? Of course not. He was just a scrawny nonathletic boy (a “sisssy,” if you please). The perpetrator had athletic talent and, if I remember correctly, may have eventually become a professional athlete. If someone walked up to you on a street, say, and smashed your face with a baseball bat, you would see him in court. But because this happened to a child in a P.E. class, this act of physical assault was not treated as the crime that it most certainly was.

Incidentally, at another thread in the sports board entitled “Welcome sports haters” (the only topic in this forum where he ever posted), another member of this forum (whom I could identify by username but have chosen to not identify) called him a “pathetic f---ing loser” simply because he had no great love for athletes. Wow. What understanding, what compassion.

Fbaezer, your tacit endorsement of the bullying of nonathletic boys in mandatory “sports only” P.E. classes is unconscionable.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 02:27 pm
@ossobuco,
No, he didn't say, "I like bullying." Please, ma'am, notice what he did say: "I am for mandatory P.E., even if there is some bullying." He clearly condones bullying with a "boys will be boys" attitude -- a mindset which, unfortunately, is quite common (even among some liberals!). Is this a humane stance to take? Is this justified in any way? Even though he personally knew a victim of such bullying who related to him how bad it was, he still has no problem with P.E. bullying. His former classmate "the Sissy," as he refers to him, was still suffering the emotional pain when he was in college, which is quite common among those who were constantly bullied when they were in junior high and high school. But he expresses no sympathy for what his former classmate went through. That speaks volumes.

I like your avatar, by the way. That's a cute dog. Smile
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 03:53 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:
Great memories, BBB. Well told.

Sports are important in children's lives, in young people's lives, in adult's lives.
If you really want to know somebody, watch them interact in sports. There's where they really show who they are.

I am for mandatory P.E., even if there is some bullying
I 'd like to know where in the hell government acquired jurisdiction to MANDATE P.E. !!????
When and how was this acquired???

It is only a USURPATION.

fbaezer wrote:
(I remember in Junior High, at the end of the P.E. class, the whole school went out to see "the Sissy"
run or jump or play basketball, just to jeer him... "I suffered a lot", he told me years later, in college).
He shoud simply have REFUSED TO CO-OPERATE.
That 's what I did, when I was 8.

I was cajoled, by some adult who was loitering around, against
my better judgment, to join in a baseball game of my class.
I had very recently arrived in Arizona.
I knew nothing of baseball; no idea of the rules. (I still don 't & coud not possiblly care less than I do.)
I made mistakes, giving rise to great fury and very obscene vilification from some of my classmates,
until I began to pound upon their faces, in response. (Thay fled. The other team was in hysterical laffter.)

After that, I refused any further athletic participation.
That was the end of that.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 03:56 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
fbaezer wrote: I am for mandatory P.E., [my italics] even if there is some bullying (I remember in Junior High, at the end of the P.E. class, the whole school went out to see "the Sissy" run or jump or play basketball, just to jeer him... "I suffered a lot", he told me years later, in college).

Wow, that's decent of you. You like bullying? Words fail me ...

The victims shoud turn their backs, refuse to co-operate and leave.

This is AMERICA.

David
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 07:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I 'd like to know where in the hell government acquired jurisdiction to MANDATE P.E. !!????
When and how was this acquired???

It is only a USURPATION.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know. I confess to being ignorant about the Constitution. What really galled me about the traditional "sports only" approach to mandatory P.E. was the claim the policymakers made that they were so concerned about some kids not being physically fit, yet the P.E. classes offered no exercise programs and didn't even provide any instruction about the sports themselves. That's teaching? Of course, the real goal of P.E. was to have a winning high-school football or basketball team.

I just thought of an idea. Why don't they give tax breaks to the parents of nonathletic kids so they can send them to health clubs?

OmSigDAVID wrote:

I was cajoled, by some adult who was loitering around, against
my better judgment, to join in a baseball game of my class.
I had very recently arrived in Arizona.
I knew nothing of baseball; no idea of the rules. (I still don 't & coud not possiblly care less than I do.)
I made mistakes, giving rise to great fury and very obscene vilification from some of my classmates,
until I began to pound upon their faces, in response. (Thay fled. The other team was in hysterical laffter.)

After that, I refused any further athletic participation.
That was the end of that.

That must have been absolutely hilarious to see. I can just see it now. Laughing
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 08:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

This is AMERICA.

I agree. But these are kids who don't know any better. They're threatened with punishment (corporeal punishment, being expelled) by the adult authority figures.

By the way, regarding my British friend and what happened to him, if I had been his father, I would have sued the (expletive deleted) out of the school district, the P.E. coach, and the young thug's parents. And I would have moved my family to another school.
0 Replies