Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 10:30 pm
@john2054,
You can live with both...and if you want Religion and "God" talking to be taken seriously start by adopting a more "Scientific" approach to the problem...so far most have done a very lousy job at that. (They should be complaining about themselves instead of faulting the world...)
God is not what we want him to be in the first place and hardly describable...actually it is something in itself very "dead" and abstract...of course most don´t like the bill and bail out before getting to learn anything...
Fairy tails won´t do in a Global World with information all around...or better, you need at least credible Fairy Tails.
0 Replies

Doorsopen

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 03:39 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Law´s are not prescribed...they prescribe !(Prescribed Law´s are not Law´s at all)
...I may be wrong, but I think you still don´t get to what I´m aiming at...

1 - LAW´S are about something rather then nothing...(from ever)
2 - LAW´S don´t divide "Creator" and "Creation", but bind them together does rendering the terms obsolete...

I'm with you on this. It is an important distinction to make, and I'm happy that you have made it. I can accept such a concept of Laws. However, I am still inclined to point out that 'Creation' is a continual process and not an historical event.

And because it is a continual process, neither that which has been created, nor that which informs the creation can be bound. They can form one another, they can mould one another as one might make an impression in clay ... but I suspect it's rather like trying to punch a hole through water ... As soon as remove the muscle of your arm, the water flows back together and is in no way bound to the arm which has just plunged into its depth. That, in my minds eye, is the effect of the finite on the infinite. We might also imagine the shape of that which contains the water. The water and its container have a relationship of form, but they are in no sense bound together.

In this sense Laws still seem not precisely what we think they are, they are memory, an impression of an event which has past. In this sense law can be used to recreate what has already existed, but Laws have no place within a state that is in the process of creating new manifestations from an infinite potential.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:34 pm
@Doorsopen,
I agree with some of what you said and is well thought through, but still I think you need a better grip to what Law aims at as concept...

Law is what prevents the infinite potential as nonsensical Chaos...Law is the reason there is a potential in the first place...it defines outcomes a priori, it gives form, it refers to Truth ! (that what is before becoming) In that sense Law is really mandatory ! Either that, or no Truth, therefore, no real ,no world, no nothing...get it ?
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 10:34 pm
...now of course we have to distinguish all that from the problem of knowing or the ability that we have to be certain...nevertheless actuality´s exist as something which is formed, that obey´s Law´s...
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 08:01 am
I can't remember who posted it, but someone was saying that it makes more sense to believe something is true until proven false? Did I read that right? If so, this makes no logical sense.

Edit: Fil Albuquerque was the poster.

A
R
T
john2054

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 09:01 am
@failures art,
Hi people, I appreciate that things are subjective. Damn it i have spent enough years in the system now (5 or 6), to have revolved around the ever volving spiral of mentality and everything else, to reach this point. Ive read the first one or two books of the Guide some time ago. And I think that it was very good. Just as the Red dwarf books are. As are the Wizard of Earthsea. But now you're reminding me of my love for reading over all things clever and philosophical. What's with that? Plus Bortu, with regards to the time span of the Earth at what, 4.5 billion years, ok how do they know that again? And more to the point what evidence do they have that the sun was made 5 billion years ago only 8.7 billion years before the universe itself came into being... isn't the universe itself alot bigger then the sun? And then surely by that understanding alot older? I mean I recon the universe must be at least 7.2 billion TIMES older then the sun, which is surely just a little pebble on the life of the whole thing. Food for thought right?
john2054

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 09:41 am
@john2054,
Even Einstein himself didn't believe it...

In 1915 Albert Einstein published the theory of general relativity.[13] This theory clearly showed that the Universe cannot be static and must be either expanding or contracting. Einstein himself did not believe this result and so he added what he called a cosmological constant to his equations in an unsuccessful attempt to produce a theory consistent with a Steady State Universe.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:18 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

I can't remember who posted it, but someone was saying that it makes more sense to believe something is true until proven false? Did I read that right? If so, this makes no logical sense.

Edit: Fil Albuquerque was the poster.

A
R
T

1 - Yes...given towards Truth all we can do is to express belief and not certainty if not through self consistency and to an extent empirical experiment...but even so its precarious and incomplete knowledge... and given that the natural evolutionary process in a theory is to be falsifiable in time, sort of a natural selection process, such claim points a usefull direction in the axis of knowledge worth using.
That and just that, was the challenge at hand and one that requires some attention...

2 - Karl Popper is the author of such idea and not Filipe seams also worth explaining...but it has a specific context. That something must be hold True until proven false only means that ultimately all conceptions can be or will be eventually proven false or incomplete.

3 - It seams adequate to distinguish belief and Truth precisely to avoid this kind of miss interpretations on what is actually being said...

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Popper

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability

Quote:
Falsifiability or refutability is the logical possibility that an assertion could be shown false by a particular observation or physical experiment. That something is "falsifiable" does not mean it is false; rather, it means that if the statement were false, then its falsehood could be demonstrated.

For example, "no human lives forever" is not falsifiable since it does not seem possible to prove wrong. In theory, one would have to observe a human living forever to falsify that claim. In contrast, "All humans live forever" is falsifiable: the presentation of just one dead human could prove the statement wrong. Importantly, we may never find a dead human if that claim is true, but regardless that claim is falsifiable because we can at least imagine a finding that would prove it wrong. Some statements are only falsifiable in theory, while others are even falsifiable in practice (i.e. testable). For example, "it will be raining here in one billion years" is theoretically falsifiable, but not practically so.

Falsifiability, particularly testability, is an important concept in science and the philosophy of science. The concept was made popular by Karl Popper in his philosophical analysis of the scientific method. Popper concluded that a hypothesis, proposition, or theory is "scientific" only if it is, among other things, falsifiable. That is, falsifiability is a necessary (but not sufficient) criterion for scientific ideas. Popper asserted that unfalsifiable statements are non-scientific, although not without relevance. For example, meta-physical or religious propositions have cultural or spiritual meaning, and the ancient metaphysical and unfalsifiable idea of the existence of atoms has led to corresponding falsifiable modern theories. A falsifiable theory that has withstood severe scientific testing is said to be corroborated by past experience, though in Popper's view this is not equivalent with confirmation and does not guarantee that the theory is true or even partially true.

Popper invented the notion of metaphysical research programs to name such ideas. In contrast to positivism, which held that statements are senseless if they cannot be verified or falsified, Popper claimed that falsifiability is merely a special case of the more general notion of criticizability. Still, he admitted that tests and refutation is one of the most effective methods by which theories can be criticized.

Hope that helps...
Fido

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:22 am
@john2054,
john2054 wrote:

Hi people, I appreciate that things are subjective. Damn it i have spent enough years in the system now (5 or 6), to have revolved around the ever volving spiral of mentality and everything else, to reach this point. Ive read the first one or two books of the Guide some time ago. And I think that it was very good. Just as the Red dwarf books are. As are the Wizard of Earthsea. But now you're reminding me of my love for reading over all things clever and philosophical. What's with that? Plus Bortu, with regards to the time span of the Earth at what, 4.5 billion years, ok how do they know that again? And more to the point what evidence do they have that the sun was made 5 billion years ago only 8.7 billion years before the universe itself came into being... isn't the universe itself alot bigger then the sun? And then surely by that understanding alot older? I mean I recon the universe must be at least 7.2 billion TIMES older then the sun, which is surely just a little pebble on the life of the whole thing. Food for thought right?

I am certain things are what they are- which is to say: objective, and that our perspectives upon things is subjective...

The time/life of the universe means nothing to me... It is all there, I think; but what matters to me is the life of human kind secondary to my own life...

What is of course is essential to life, but meaning is what we really need to determine... Meaning is how we order all experience, how we relate to reality...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:39 am
@john2054,
An endless repeating pattern although in movement points to statical nature...
Bottom line Universe or Multi Universe, one of them will end up in a repeating loop...that´s ultimate Nature, Final bound, Defined Confinement !
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:46 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
PS - Metaphysical claims and such like obviously cannot be falsifiable is worth ad, once I miss 2 posts up...
0 Replies

john2054

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:00 pm
@Fido,
Hi Fido et al, thanks for engaging with my debate when I was not here. The first comment which I want to flag up is zwishes about the 'goddess', well not a lot of people know this but she (more commonly known as mother nature), is referenced to in the Bible, my her Christian name Sophia! I don't know at hand what chapter this was in, but I can find out if you are still interested? Also with regards to Christianity, I am personally a multifaither (being both a Christian and a buddhist), and so consequentially I am quite happy about people describing themselves as believing in God , but not 'religious'. I presume what we mean here by Religious, is the Bible bashing type, who can have the luxury of going to church regularily and Bible bash others (usually in their congregations) feverently. As for those non-religious Christian (or other faith types), that could be Sufi for Muslims for example, we normally take the faith of the holy texts to heart. So perhaps don't follow the precepts of our religion to the word like some other more litteral types of belivers would, but still believe in God, we are know as Gnostic. It basically means a truther, but without the connotations that word conjurs up.

What I found the most interesting of the above argument between Apo and Grace, is when Apo said that he believes in God. I mean at least I think I picked up on that right didn't I? So what do you understand by the meaning of this word? Wisdom? Love?? You tell me. This is supposed to be a discussion among equals right?
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:06 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

1 - Yes...given towards Truth all we can do is to express belief and not certainty if not through self consistency and to an extent empirical experiment...but even so its precarious and incomplete knowledge... and given that the natural evolutionary process in a theory is to be falsifiable in time, sort of a natural selection process, such claim points a usefull direction in the axis of knowledge worth using.
That and just that, was the challenge at hand and one that requires some attention...

I disagree entirely.

This is the agnostic dilemma, and it is always pick and choose. No such philosophy has eve been observed, not even by Popper.

Your statement is entirely contradictory as well. On an attempt for either belief or truth, this method cannot be observed. If everything is true until false, then contradictory theories are both true from explaining single events in the past and in the future.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

2 - Karl Popper is the author of such idea and not Filipe seams also worth explaining...but it has a specific context. That something must be hold True until proven false only means that ultimately all conceptions can be or will be eventually proven false or incomplete.

No. All proofs and theories are properly stated in the positive. In other words, an Atheist need not defend that "there are no gods," (a negative statement), but rather that "the universe and everything in it is a natural product" (a positive proof). The atheist doesn't have any reason to even address the possibility of a Yahweh, Ala, Elohim, Shiva, Odin, Zeus, or Flying Spaghetti Monster. It is, and this deserves emphasis, unnecessary.

The method you suggest is best summarized by the phrase "not even wrong."

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

3 - It seams adequate to distinguish belief and Truth precisely to avoid this kind of miss interpretations on what is actually being said...

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Popper

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability

Quote:
Falsifiability or refutability is the logical possibility that an assertion could be shown false by a particular observation or physical experiment. That something is "falsifiable" does not mean it is false; rather, it means that if the statement were false, then its falsehood could be demonstrated.

For example, "no human lives forever" is not falsifiable since it does not seem possible to prove wrong. In theory, one would have to observe a human living forever to falsify that claim. In contrast, "All humans live forever" is falsifiable: the presentation of just one dead human could prove the statement wrong. Importantly, we may never find a dead human if that claim is true, but regardless that claim is falsifiable because we can at least imagine a finding that would prove it wrong. Some statements are only falsifiable in theory, while others are even falsifiable in practice (i.e. testable). For example, "it will be raining here in one billion years" is theoretically falsifiable, but not practically so.

Falsifiability, particularly testability, is an important concept in science and the philosophy of science. The concept was made popular by Karl Popper in his philosophical analysis of the scientific method. Popper concluded that a hypothesis, proposition, or theory is "scientific" only if it is, among other things, falsifiable. That is, falsifiability is a necessary (but not sufficient) criterion for scientific ideas. Popper asserted that unfalsifiable statements are non-scientific, although not without relevance. For example, meta-physical or religious propositions have cultural or spiritual meaning, and the ancient metaphysical and unfalsifiable idea of the existence of atoms has led to corresponding falsifiable modern theories. A falsifiable theory that has withstood severe scientific testing is said to be corroborated by past experience, though in Popper's view this is not equivalent with confirmation and does not guarantee that the theory is true or even partially true.

Popper invented the notion of metaphysical research programs to name such ideas. In contrast to positivism, which held that statements are senseless if they cannot be verified or falsified, Popper claimed that falsifiability is merely a special case of the more general notion of criticizability. Still, he admitted that tests and refutation is one of the most effective methods by which theories can be criticized.

Hope that helps...

This kind of thing only draws false stalemates. The idea that the earth orbits the sun and thus the sun rises is now on par with the sun being pulled across the sky by a golden chariot. After all, the observation that the earth actually does orbit the sun doesn't prove that it always does so it doesn't mean it is true or even partially true.

Popper took on the scientific method. Rolling Eyes Meanwhile, it enables superstition and logically false ideas. Perhaps that was the goal... at least for some ideas.

A
Remember, it's always pick and choose.
T
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:30 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

I disagree entirely.

This is the agnostic dilemma, and it is always pick and choose. No such philosophy has eve been observed, not even by Popper.

Your statement is entirely contradictory as well. On an attempt for either belief or truth, this method cannot be observed. If everything is true until false, then contradictory theories are both true from explaining single events in the past and in the future.

Some people enjoy the Shroedinger's truth dilemma
failures art

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:51 pm
@GoshisDead,
I side with Einstein.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:12 pm
@failures art,
Its actually odd that several times has been explained to you the difference between existing a Truth and the possibility of such Truth to be known entirely...and still you insist in mixing both things as if they were the same...

By the thousand time, you don´t take a Theory to be literally True until proven false, instead you hold True value because you cannot prove otherwise or while you don´t prove it. In fact what this method does its an invitation to Science by disproving Myth and Fairy Tails as they are taken to be True until disproved...So it is not wrong neither it is right, its in a "Limbo"... and this a method for Knowing, a method, and not the knowing as certainty ! Again a method that conforms with the fact that most theory´s are actually wrong but must be disproved in first place.
Can´t you get the pedagogy implicit in such method ? Well that´s your problem, I am done here !
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:24 pm
@GoshisDead,
Whether it is true that the cat is both dead and alive does n´t change the nature of Truth but only the way HOW he perceive it...also two very different things...meaning that what we wrongly took as opposing quality´s are in fact complementary, if and only if, such is the case...

The Property´s of Truth only respond to Truth and not to our impression or self supposed knowledge of Truth ! Truth is relative to nothing.

Now, I wonder... if you get to what I´m at ?

TRUTH IS ABOUT BEING ! (not Knowing)
(Why the hell do you think I´m always speaking on LAW when I speak on Truth ?)
spendius

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:31 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
But you can't prove myths and fairy tales untrue if you don't what it is that's true about them. They contain truths enshrined in metaphors of greater or lesser elaboration.

Your judgment is being clouded by your own opinions of what they mean and if it is a literally pedantic view of them we all know they are untrue. You're laying your own view on us as if it certain and correct.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:41 pm
@spendius,
1 - No ! The fact that Knowledge cannot achieve certainty does n´t mean that Knowledge is not valuable ! The idea that if it works its (like) Truth, its actually a very pragmatic attitude !

2 - This "technique" apply´s to Scientific method and does not pretend to assert ultimate Truth...we can reduce it to a pedagogic technique...

3 - This not my opinion but part of Scientific method.

Again one must not confuse both things...to know or not to know does n´t diminish Truth for what is worth.
Fido

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:49 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Whether it is true that the cat is both dead and alive does n´t change the nature of Truth but only the way HOW he perceive it...also two very different things...meaning that what we wrongly took as opposing quality´s are in fact complementary, if and only if, such is the case...

The Property´s of Truth only respond to Truth and not to our impression or self supposed knowledge of Truth ! Truth is relative to nothing.

Now, I wonder... if you get to what I´m at ?

TRUTH IS ABOUT BEING ! (not Knowing)
(Why the hell do you think I´m always speaking on LAW when I speak on Truth ?)
Truth is about meaning... Being is a given, or truth would have no meaning, and nothing else would have meaning either...