The word "good" can be used as a noun

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 11:15 pm

I remember the word "good" can be used as a noun (sometimes in poetry?). Can we use "wicked" as a noun as well?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,480 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:04 am
"Evil" is often used as a noun, and i suppose that "wicked" could be so used, as well, but i cannot now recall such a usage. In Act Two, scene three of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare, Marc Antony says: "The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones." I just can't imagine "wicked" being used in the same manner, though.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:04 am
There is a play on Broadway named Wicked, so yes, in this case it has been used as a noun. http://www.wickedthemusical.com/
Fido

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 04:56 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

I remember the word "good" can be used as a noun (sometimes in poetry?). Can we use "wicked" as a noun as well?
You xab use Good as a Noun, but you should not forget it is a moral form, and as such, in an infinite having no true definition.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 05:31 am
Thank you all.
fresco

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 06:52 am
@oristarA,
Dave Allen, comedian, used to imitate Ian Paisley the Northern Irish preacher......

PREACHER (Shouting) :"And the wicked shall be cast down into the pit and shall gnash their teeth in anguish"....
OLD LADY IN AUDIENCE: ......"What if you've got no teeth ?"
PREACHER (Shouting) "Teeth shall be provided !"
Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:34 am
@fresco,
Considering the state of dental care in the British Isles, this is funnier than most Americans would realize.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 02:52 pm
@Ceili,
Great play, just saw it, but I don't think that counts. "Wicked" is a proper noun in this case, but it comes from "wicked witch" where it is an adjective. I'm with Set with "evil" being the opposite of the noun "good", where "bad" or "wicked" would be the opposite of the adjective "good" .
contrex

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 04:17 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
"Wicked" is a proper noun in this case

It is most definitely not a proper noun.
0 Replies