Have you ever been through a layoff?

Green Witch

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 06:13 am
@Remka,
Hmmm...the plot thickens.
Remka

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 11:14 am
@Green Witch,
Do a google search on her username and you'll see all the BS she posts.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:13 pm
@Remka,
I don't agree. When she mentioned she was posting on other message boards too, I did google searches on her A2K user name and several other aliases of hers to see if we were being taken for a ride. For the most part, she does post the same variety of questions and complaints based on life at work and job hunting on about two dozen message boards. She also, for the most part, gets the same range of responses that she gets here.

I think it is her way of polling various types of message board communities to get a broader feedback on her posts. It also shows that she's taking the responses to heart because some of those message board communities have central themes about anger management, self-esteem, vocational counseling, etc., and were initiated after she's received responses here suggesting she look into those issues. I don't think I've ever read differing stories or presentation of facts about the same incident, question or complaint.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 07:22 pm
@Remka,
Are you by any chance new to a2k? bc you sure look it.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 07:29 pm
I just couldn't be happier. My coworker from McD's quit his job on good term to work for a dine-in restaurant...and my boss deleted him too! I guess that's her way of taking out her frustration when someone quits and she had to replace them.
0 Replies

officecosmos

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 03:51 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
There is this old saying that they pick the newest first and through experience I think this is true. You have less attachment to the company when you are new. It's not so simple though as poor performing employees might get laid off despite being there longer.
0 Replies

brian HAMILTON

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 03:27 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
the country is frigged mate---move on
0 Replies

chaelsonnenfan

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 05:19 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
I'm laid off right now from the railroad. They choose the employees with the least seniority to layoff. We have 376 employees that were cut off in just one division. It really sucks.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 01:09 pm
@chaelsonnenfan,
yeah that way sucks. Keep us posted on how things go!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 02:00 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Layoffs are not done rationally because all the variables that are considered still lacks efficiency and the proper or best results.

It's no different than the hiring process for most jobs. A degree in any specialty doesn't mean the individual has the wherewithall to perform well in the area of training.

That's because skills and abilities can only show up with the proper opportunities in the proper environment.

Performance evaluations are not dependable measures of any employee - most of the time.

What management gets is garbage in, garbage out.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 02:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
At the end of the day, it depends on how well the worker is liked by management...
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 02:05 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
That's also true. One will prove to be a valuable employee by producing above the average workers.

Since I was never the sharpest pencil in school, my goal was to out-produce my associates in whatever I did. During the 30-years that I worked, I worked in management for 26.5 years. I also did consulting work that was both enjoyable and lucrative.

dirrtydozen22

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 02:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
How old r u?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 02:10 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 12:27 pm
We just laid off 12 people today, I knew about it a head of time and at least they waited until after the Holidays, but still not a good start for the New Year for them.
jespah

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 02:18 pm
@jcboy,
Oy. A big layoff like that can really do a number on the morale of the people who survived it, too.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 03:31 pm
@jespah,
When I was first starting out in my second career, at 42, I was recommended while still in school (brag/sardonic) by the head of the department for a job as a helper/gopher at a prestigious design firm downtown.

I worked sixteen hours a week for something like $3.25 an hour.
I made coffee when it ran out, I helped the secretary file, I colored very large presentation drawings at high speed, I paced/mapped the tough city parks they were redesigning, re what was how many feet away from this or that, and photographed them for information binders.
I actually made almost zero money since the firm was in a tough neighborhood and I tried to park close, thus getting almost routine parking tickets.

This was all during a recession, maybe 1983. One not so sunny day the owner let go nine of the twelve people there, he being one of the twelve, and of course that included me. Because of the great client list, the firm was subsumed by a respected national firm that still exists. Others way senior to me started their own firms, not easy in a recession, but at least one guy was a designer for the Getty property some years later. I liked him; in a way, Panzade reminds me of him. I saw his resume when he was applying for a job, when I was doing my duty filing while snooping. He did it with markers, graphics, have never seen another resume like that - and it worked, at least then. The woman I did the (do this in 30 minutes) drawing for also started her own firm. I highly admired her at the time for wearing high heels at presentation meetings. I happen to hate high heels.

I called every landscape architecture firm in the wider Los Angeles area (this was all naturally prior to the changes that happened with the internet). Let's say 45 of them. With most of them, the architects answered the phones themselves. They were nice to me but said no, as I did years later to other callers... the mix of listening and trying to be helpful. Anyway, the last call was not only the best, but the fellow needed drafting help and his office was something like 20 blocks away from our house, and jeepers, three blocks from the beach.
I worked for/with him for, oh, nine years, until I went on my own, and he's still one of my favorite people.

Well, the construction design fields go through rocky cycles, but they usually come back somewhere, somehow.
Don't know, though, about things reversing easily in 2014.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 03:46 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Oy. A big layoff like that can really do a number on the morale of the people who survived it, too.

It sure has done a number on the morale, one lady Francis I really liked, she worked here for 15 years. Her and I use to swap recipes all the time, I'll miss her!
0 Replies