Have you ever been through a layoff?

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:53 am
And what type of people do they pick first? They pick the newest, but do they also pick the worst performer? I mean, if you do something slightly bad and business is booming, you could still stay at your job, right? (i.e. bieng a little high maintenance) But when a company need to lay people off, do they pick the slightly bad performers first? I said slightly bad bc if you do something totally outrageous, you're out regardless of the economy.

I got laid off. They laid many people off, including a few managers. All over town, companies are cutting back on workers. I was new, so I was one of the casualties. However, it was on good terms and I had good standing. BK is just not making any money. Still, I feel as if it's the little mistakes I've made on the job that contributed to that. VR had many clients who just got laid off as well.

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 09:16 am
@dirrtydozen22,
I hope you be rehired or find a new job soon.

BBB
dirrtydozen22

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 09:18 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
thank you. I also wish the same for everyone else who been through this at my workplace.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 11:21 am
@dirrtydozen22,
DDD, sorry to hear this. I know how hard you worked to find this job.

Why not take advantage of the downtime to take some of those classes I've been urging you to take, not the "how to interview" type classes, classes on how to do data entry, how to reconcile a bank statement, how to build and use a spreadsheet, and other entry-level skills for office work.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 11:25 am
@Butrflynet,
I'm contemplating going back to school for something like this. And now I keep worrying if the mistakes I made on this job contributed to the layoff.

I believe I

A) Freaked out over a credit card that got declined.
B) Went there on my day off to ask a dumbass question.
C) "Shoot me."

B) I was like, "I received a call on Saturday that said I won't be needed that night. Is it cuz of the credit card stuff?"

She was like, "No it was cuz of labor. Several other people also got called not to come in."
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 11:54 am
@dirrtydozen22,
DDD, please stop. Stop it right now. Do not endlessly obsess on this. It does no good for you to do so. Accept what she said at face value and stop looking for ways to make it a personal defect of yours. You are not damaged goods. You're just one of many people struggling to keep a job during this extremely poor economic period...nothing more, and nothing less.

Taking some skills-building classes will give you more ways to make yourself invaluable to a company. It will also give you more job opportunities to choose from.

Stop spending all this time trying to find someone (even yourself) to blame for things that happen. Spend this energy on strengthening and adding to the foundation of your marketable business skills.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 12:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
Amen to that. Escapistmagazine.com and TFS said the same thing. Even VR said something like that. I didn't think those mistakes shoulda gotten me out so yeah. Moving on.
jespah

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 12:21 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
I've been through, lemme see, four layoffs.

Fidelity Investments, Dictaphone, Fidelity again and then Hachette Book Group.

First time, it was a coupla months after 9/11 and the bottom had dropped out of the financial services market, so 3,000 contract workers were bounced. Dictaphone was bought by Nuance Communications and my job was excessed because the project was not being continued by the new management. Fidelity the second time around, helfino, no clue as to why they laid me off (I had great reviews, it had zip to do with performance). And at Hachette they were in the process of handing over their entire IT Department to subcontinental outsourcing.

It has never been about individual performance. Companies just do that. Recognize that, get your Unemployment and any severance you might be given, grab any training you can, network your little heart out and move on.

It is not personal.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 12:26 pm
@jespah,
It's only that BK told VR about these little screw-ups and VR told me. They also told VR they're laying me off. But yeah, maybe I'm paranoid to think they're connected.
jespah

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 05:48 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
They're bein' jerks to ya.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 01:25 pm
@jespah,
Not really. VR said it fucked her up to have to do this to me bc I work hard and didn't require much training.
jespah

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 03:55 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
I had people say they didn't want to lay me off, too.

Yanno something?

They did it anyway.

I think a lot of people say that in order to assuage their own guilt, and because they think it might make you feel better.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 04:06 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Layoffs are based on many reasons that are usually based on what's best for the company/organization. Not all management decisions concerning layoffs are always the good or the best ones.

Most supervisors have difficulty with performance evaluations, and are apt to overlook bad performance rather than having to take action to fire an employee.

0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 11:30 am
I know this hasn't much to do with the topic at hand, but does yelling at your supervisor at work ALWAYS get you fired or just some of the time? It seems to me that 90% of the interent said it should get you fired on the spot, esp if it's done publicly. Sorry but I'm just so ******* frustrated that the only job that accepted me suddenly had money problems and had to lay off several people. Last in first out got me the ax. That brings me to the point that if I hadn't yelled at my boss at McD's, then I'd still be there and none of the job search stuff would matter.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 03:55 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
dd22, The facts about layoffs are that most managers do not always lay off workers in the best interest of the company. Don't view this experience as something negative that happened to your work life. Instead, look at this experience to self improve.

What I have learned over the years is that working hard (harder than the other workers) always paid off, because I knew I couldn't compete with them on a scholastic level. Being productive and reliable has its own rewards in the long run.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 07:41 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Quote:
That brings me to the point that if I hadn't yelled at my boss at McD's, then I'd still be there and none of the job search stuff would matter.

Wrong!

Yelling at your boss didn't get you fired. In fact, you weren't fired, DDD. You quit! You decided that after yelling at your boss, your boss wasn't being friendly enough to you, even when she let you keep your job after yelling at her in front of customers and getting her in trouble with her boss. You quit the McD job even after she was still willing to give you hours at a temporarily reduced rate because you thought she wasn't being nice enough to you at work.

The whole situation was entirely your fault and you had full control of the outcome with the choices you made. If you hadn't over-reacted to each situation, you'd still have that job.

Repeat after me, DDD. Yelling at your boss DID NOT GET YOU FIRED! You quit the job because you thought she wasn't being friendly enough to you.

Do I need to go find those posts and paste them here to remind you?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:24 pm
I'm mostly sympathetic to your posts for DD, butryfly, but I'm getting over it.

This is all revolving and the relevant talk has been talked.

Plus there was talk of asperger's and that could bring other help. And DD doesn't mention her parents, who are probably funding all this.

DD doesn't absorb lessons and goes back to early scenarios.

I have no idea what to do about that, but that she needs professional help.

I think you are smart, DD, and that you could get more help, maybe a job related to your smartness.

0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 12:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
I never said it got me fired, although it should. I just meant I regret quitting bc most other places woulda fired me for this ****. I quit when I was young and stupid and at the time when it's very hard to find a job. And yes, it was entirely my fault. That's y I'm working on keeping my voice down.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 02:18 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
DD, We all "should" learn by our mistakes, and the first step is to acknowledge we were wrong. Good on ya.
0 Replies

Remka

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 03:41 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
You are so full of ****. You aren't even smart enough to keep your stories straight from one message board to another. If you are going to do that, at least make up different user names so people can't look up what you say when they think you're full of ****. Quit wasting people's time with your lies and made up stories.