How do you get things done? antiprocrastination.

55hikky

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 05:51 am
Teenagers who can't stop drinking.
Adults who can't stop gambling.
Daydreaming, gaming, sleeping, eating, sitting, reading, depressing, talking, and on and on.

There are a million things that fuels procrastination.

Projects, essays, email, reading, cooking; everyone has things that have to be done when they need to be done.

so I ask, what are some of your problematic habits and what are some of your methods and habits on keeping your "bad" habits in check?

If I may start, I have goals, big goals; whenever I do something, I make grand, detailed road maps on exactly what I have to do, and when I should be doing them by. Charts, logs, records, plans, etc. love making them. I just can't stay on track.

I do all of the tricks in the books; multiple small, easy-to-reach, reasonable goals. Allow for unexpected issues. Keep a record of progress. List all of the things that can go wrong. Make sure you don't make the same mistakes twice. Write why you are doing it, and what you will gain out of doing this.

yes yes, you all know these things that 'facilitate' productivity and limit procrastination... doesn't seem to work.

so do i just not care enough about being smart? athletic? "successful" in life?

i sure don't hope to think so...

so if you guys ever find yourself procrastinating; what do you do when you do procrastinate, and what are some of the things you've tried, and what seems to work for you?

55hikky

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 07:56 am
It's lame to reply to my own discussion i just posted, but this got me thinking and I realized the first step is to step back, and exit preexisting presuppositions and assumptions about your situations. identifying your problems outside of your delusions. How easy it actually was when you realize the problem.

I actually thought about my situation, without being carried away by distractions, and within 15 minutes found the solution. maybe time, intensity and passion was what brought me to the brink, and was what fueled my intense need to find the solution.

ode to clarity.
jespah

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 08:02 am
@55hikky,
The gambling and drinking examples really don't apply. It's not procrastination -- those are addictions, which is a far different animal. Putting off cleaning your house is not the same as not being able to get off cocaine.
55hikky

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 08:24 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

The gambling and drinking examples really don't apply. It's not procrastination -- those are addictions, which is a far different animal. Putting off cleaning your house is not the same as not being able to get off cocaine.

you're right, i was unclear in the specification and degree of the issue. thank you for pointing that out.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 08:31 am
@jespah,
Just to clarify, gambling and drinking are not always addictions. In the same way, cooking or reading or doing projects are not always addiction.

In fact, if gambling or drinking are on your agenda, and you aren't gambling or drinking, then it is an example of procrastination.
0 Replies