How Do I motivate myself?

Proxima

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 08:38 am
Hello, I have a problem with procrastination and motivation. No matter how hard I try during the school day, I always can't bring myself to do particularly daunting tasks. My parents and I have tried out all sorts of techniques(Limiting Video game usage, yelling,not being involved) yet none of them work for me. If I am given the rope, I hang myself with it. If you don't give me the rope, I am not happy and I can't do my best. Someone please help!

fresco

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 09:02 am
@Proxima,
You need to consider whether attention seeking (by appealing for help, or failing etc) is more important to you than personal progress. Assuming you are not an academic fool, (and that you don't have a vested interest in the social position of class clown) such thoughts are part of "growing up" and you should no longer require "praise and encouragement" manufactured by others to shape your behavior.
0 Replies

iholland95

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 10:48 am
@Proxima,
I know exactly how you feel. I have the exact same problem. I like to procrastinate. It's one of my worst habits. All it does is get me stressed out. What I would do is try to plan your time wisely and manage your time. I need to work on this as well so if I come up with any solutions, I will be sure to let you know.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 09:29 pm
@Proxima,
You just get up off your butt and do what is yours to do because you have an iota of self respect. I'm not being harsh, it's just that you can end up sitting there, stressed out, worrying about all the things you're not doing. Waking up in the middle of night thinking about it, too. I used to play games with that situation. I'd say to myself, I will do (whatever you would prefer doing), and then I'll get that job done. Or, each morning make a list of what you will do that day. You have to have a plan, a goal. Good luck to you, I know how tough that is.
0 Replies