How to stop procrastinating ?

tomster

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 02:52 am
Hi everyone,
I'm 17 years old and have big mock exams on all my subjects next week and i'm the biggest procrastinator of all times so i've put off revising untill now. Even now i can't seem to get started, as you have noticed because i'm doing this instead of revising !
I live in France and am in a school where some of my subjects are in english and some are in French because i'm doing a sort or international baccalauréat. For those of you who don't know how school works in France or what a baccalauréat is, I'm about to explain (it will help you understand my situation a little better).
So, in France students must chose which section they want to go in, and not the subjects themeselves. These sections are : scientific (me), litterature-languages and economics-sociology. These sections have more hours in their main subjects but also have all the other subjects (so for example i have, per week: 6 hours of maths, 5.30 hours of biology-geology, 5 hours of physics-chemistry, 2 hours of spanish, 2 hours of sport, 5 hours of english lit, 2.30 hours of history, 2.30 hours of geography, 2 hours of art and 3 hours of philosophy). So that makes a 35.30 hour week, and it takes me an hour to get to school, and an other to get back home. So its pretty hard to stay awake in the evenings when i have to work (because of course we get homework every day on top of that).
The baccalauréat is the exam i'll have at the end of the year and is in all the subjects i mentioned above (english lit, geography and history are in english, the rest is in French).
These are only mock exams though thank god, the real ones will be end of June and then i'm off to an english university (if i get the right grades !).

Does anyone have a solution to my problem ? Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,351 • Replies: 6

jespah

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 08:01 am
@tomster,
Well, it kinda doesn't matter what you're procrastinating about, just that you are. Hence the discussion of the baccalaureate, while lovely, is kinda pointless. It's a tangent and it - tada! - wastes time.

I think you might see where I'm going with this (and, BTW, I was going to make a procrastination joke about answering you tomorrow).

Sit down and make a priority list. Nothing long - this is not intended to be a long dodge of your work. Instead, it's basic stuff. Something like -
1) Math homework
2) Geology homework
etc.

It can be daunting to think you have tons of stuff going on, and that can sometimes paralyze people into inaction. Furthermore, checking off your accomplishments can give you a boost, give you the feeling that you really are on top of this stuff.

The list should be short. Don't include crap like doing the laundry or petting the cat or whatever. Schoolwork is your priority and you have to do it.

But once this time has passed, might I suggest a bit of a cost-benefit analysis in your life? E. g. there are things that take several hours but are absolutely worthwhile. There are others which take a few minutes but aren't. How do you weigh those against each other? And consider the replicability of some experiences. E. g. if you take time out every day to watch soccer on a tape delay, the truth is, it doesn't truly matter when you watch it. A delay of 2 hours is not too different from a delay of a day. Because I suspect that it's not just schoolwork that's at issue here - you may not be prioritizing your life too well, and it can help with overall procrastination to start doing that in all areas.

Good luck on your exams.
tomster

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 10:23 am
@jespah,
Yes you're right i am procrastinating right now, wops !
Your SHORT list idea seems good, i have tryed making lists but i think i put way too much on them and then the amount of stuff to do scares me and then the more i dread it, the more i put it off. Its kindof a vicious circle.
I also can't seem to decide what is worth taking off the list?
And no its not only school work i put off.
Thanks for the good luck ! I'm gona die haha
jespah

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 10:28 am
@tomster,
You'll be fine. Smile
0 Replies

HelloKittyKat

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 01:57 pm
@tomster,
Hey Tomster,

Its all about doing things in small chunks. Are you familiar with the Pomodoro technique. You set a timer for 25 minutes and then take 5 minute breaks. My best advice would be to just focus on trying to do 25 minutes of work. Even if you have to lower it 20 minutes. Its all about getting started and then rewarding yourself with a break.
0 Replies

Aubindesbois

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 11:51 am
Hi
A tehnic that works well is what i call
Conscious fear generation
It makes use of the natural habit of procrastinators to act at the last minute.
You take a pen and pice of paper and you mention all the worst consequences that might happen if you dont do your homework.
One these sentence at least 12 times.

Before you reach 12 you will a guilty feeling that will male you transition to what you have to do.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 01:38 pm
Wow, over 6 1/2 years of procrastination before answering!
0 Replies