Is the long sentence okay?

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 01:43 am
Please check out the following sentence grammatically, I wonder whether "increased" should be "increases" and "transmit" should be "transmits"?:

A critical αIIbβ3 characteristic of function is that it displays bidirectional signaling, which is, not only intracellular signals impinge on integrin αIIbβ3 cytoplasmic domains and trigger an unclasping of the intracellular and transmembrane αIIbβ3 complex, which, in turn increased affinity of the extracellular domain for ligand (inside-out signaling), but ligand-dependent signaling transmit into the cytoplasm to initiate the biochemical and cytoskeletal changes (outside-in signaling).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 657 • Replies: 8
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 02:06 am
@oristarA,

I think you are right.

And note, signalling is spelled this way.
dadpad

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 02:37 am
You could try,... in turn increased THE affinity of the extracellular domain for ligand...

If this is the conclusion supported by experimental evidence
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 02:48 am
A critical αIIbβ3 characteristic of function is that it displays bidirectional signaling, which is, not only intracellular signals imping[ing] on integrin αIIbβ3 cytoplasmic domains and [triggering] an unclasping of the intracellular and transmembrane αIIbβ3 complex, which, in turn increases the affinity of the extracellular domain for ligand (inside-out signaling), but also ligand-dependent signaling transmited into the cytoplasm to initiate the biochemical and cytoskeletal changes (outside-in signaling).

I have hi-lighted OF FUNCTION at the start of the parra. It seems superfluous to requirements. I believe the sentance should read either A critical αIIbβ3 characteristic OR A critical function of αIIbβ3 is...
however there may be some scientific meaning i am unaware of.

EDIT: perhaps its a typographical error and should read A critical αIIbβ3 characteristic or function
contrex

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 03:17 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

And note, signalling is spelled this way.

signaling US English
signalling British English
McTag

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 05:27 am
@contrex,

Oh really? But why would he want to learn improper English?
contrex

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 06:03 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Oh really? But why would he want to learn improper English?

Well, to be frank with you, McTag, I can't see any reason, but you know what some people are like.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 07:26 am
@dadpad,
Thank you Dadpad.
Also thanks to McTag and Contrex.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 06:17 pm
@dadpad,
I'm not clear about why using the past participle "transmitted" , but not present participle?
0 Replies