granularity = roughness?

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 06:35 pm

Context:

"The closer we look at human genetic variation, the greater the granularity," explains Professor Manolis Dermitzakis, from the University of Geneva and one of the project coordinators, and formerly at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute. "An important task in genetics is to discriminate between the variants that are important for health and those that are part of the background.

More:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100901132201.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 634 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 07:03 am
granulars are measurements

0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 08:22 am
@oristarA,
Here it doesn't mean roughness; it means (mathematically) a level of detail in a continuum ranging between extreme fineness and extreme coarseness.
Quote:
The size of the units of code under consideration in some context. The term generally refers to the level of detail at which code is considered, e.g. "You can specify the granularity for this profiling tool".

The most common computing use is in parallelism where "fine grain parallelism" means individual tasks are relatively small in terms of code size and execution time, "coarse grain" is the opposite. You talk about the "granularity" of the parallelism.

The smaller the granularity, the greater the potential for parallelism and hence speed-up but the greater the overheads of synchronisation and communication.

http://foldoc.org/granularity

Separately but on your same topic: can you post Y/N (*), did you read the Chinese text I posted on your other thread?

(*) abbreviation for yes/no
oristarA

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 01:48 am
@High Seas,
Thank you HS.

I haven't noticed your Chinese massage in my thread. Would you mind giving the link here?

Also thanks to PUNKEY.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 03:27 am
PUNKEY's answer is almost complete nonsense.
0 Replies