Bid?

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:19 am
(1) 'Votes at 16' plan as Blair courts youth

Bid to engage young and combat apathy

Does "bid:" mean "summon"? Or "direct"?

(2) (The following is part of a crappy story, but I want to the meanings of some words:

all because there was a big mosh pit ...that had been invaded by giant human eating care-bears. Suddenly..

What is "mosh pit"? What is "care-bear"? What kind of "bear"?

TIA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 772 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:25 am
(1) 'Votes at 16' plan as Blair courts youth

Bid to engage young and combat apathy

Does "bid:" mean "summon"? Or "direct"?

Hi Oristar. Another headline! According to my handy-dandy dictionary, "bid" in this context means an attempt or effort to win, achieve, or attract, as in a bid for reelection.

(2) (The following is part of a crappy story, but I want to the meanings of some words:

all because there was a big mosh pit ...that had been invaded by giant human eating care-bears. Suddenly..

What is "mosh pit"? What is "care-bear"? What kind of "bear"?

I'm hoping that some younger, hipper a2ker will happen along and answer this part of your question. My impression in that mosh pits are dance floor crowded with people. Then folks jump into the crowd from some elevated location. Sorry I can't be of more help with this one.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:32 am
Hey Oristar:

A 'mosh pit' is a crowded part of a dance floor, near the front of an arena where everyone jumps about, and things get dangerous. One usually sees this kind of thing at Nu-Metal concerts. (Bad for your ears!)

As for 'care-bear,' there are little things called 'care-bears' that young girls have. They're not talking about these though... what 'care-bear' means depends more on the story; it's probably a sarcastic use.

Hope this was of some help.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 07:24 am
Thanks Roberta and dròm_et_rêve. Smile

Almost all is clear now, tho "care-bear" remains a bit puzzle.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 07:32 am
Oristar- This site is something that I found, and put into the A2K portal. I think that you will find it helpful!

http://www.slangsite.com/

Quote:
mosh: Slam dancing. Usually associated with heavy metal music.
Example: Back in '85 I saw Slayer play, and the first time they played the then-new song Angel of Death,
the whole club was one big Mosh Pit.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 02:46 pm
Lemme give care-bears a try...

Care Bears are moral, helpful characters that each have a special characteristic; Bedtime Bear helps you go to sleep, Friend Bear epitomizes the benefits of friendship, Champ Bear is a good sportsman, like that. As stuffed animals and cartoon characters, they are suitable for young children but too saccharine for adults (saccharine here means "overly or sickishly sweet; affectedly friendly")...

I'm still not real clear on the storyline, oristar, but it sounds like a culture clash of epic proportions! Smile
0 Replies