radial = of radiation?

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 07:08 pm

Context:

To achieve the breakthrough to MRI measurement times that only take very small fractions of a second, several developments had to be successfully combined with each other. Whilst still relying on the FLASH technique, the scientists used a radial encoding of the spatial information which renders the images insensitive to movements. Mathematics was then required to further reduce the acquisition times. "Considerably fewer data are recorded than are usually necessary for the calculation of an image. We developed a new mathematical reconstruction technique which enables us to calculate a meaningful image from data which are, in fact, incomplete," explains Frahm. In the most extreme case it is possible to calculate an image of comparative quality out of just five percent of the data required for a normal image -- which corresponds to a reduction of the measurement time by a factor of 20. As a result, the Göttingen scientists have accelerated MRI from the mid 1980s by a factor of 10000.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 425 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 07:20 pm
This is a highly technical term, and i can't tell you exactly what it does mean, but i can tell you that it does not refer to radiation. Let's hope that someone with the necessary expertise in coding shows up to give you an answer.
0 Replies