What is your favorite magazine?

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 10:49 am
Do you get it online or have you stopped with them now in the economy crisis?

Ragman

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:00 am
@naconasong,
I stopped getting magazines in surface mail 3 yrs ago. I see no reason environmentally. Economically, I still do get Consumer Reports and any of my other subscriptions online.
aidan

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:01 am
@naconasong,
I used to go the the library and read the magazines I really like which are:

1) Rolling Stone
2) The Utne Reader
3) Harpers
4) The Atlantic
5) The Sun (a local literary magazine out of Chapel Hill, North Carolina)
6) Newsweek
7)The Paper Soldier (this is the literary magazine produced by the prison where I work).
8) The New Yorker and Vanity Fair (depending on what articles are included that particular month-I find them to be inconsistent in their content these days - I used to love the New Yorker unreservedly - but it's not the same quality it used to be).

When I lived in the United States, in Maine, New York and North Carolina we were allowed to check out the back issues of magazines. I always did that. Over here you can't do that, so I don't read them nearly as much as I used to- any of them.

I do read the Times Literary Supplement sometimes.

I also go to the library to read the newspaper during my lunch break as I work at an educational facility which actually has a very fine library. I buy a newspaper on Saturday and Sunday - I buy the Saturday Guardian and the Sunday Times.

I am very careful about paper usage and wastage. It's not so much the economy as the fact that I feel it's more reasonable to read them in the library.

I don't read very much online at all. I like holding reading material in my hands.
naconasong

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:04 am
@Ragman,
I get the Down Syndrome Magazine and The Whole Dog Journal but that is it. I get the others at the Library when my son and I go there he is handicapped and loves to go. So I get a chance to look at them there. I agree with you though.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:05 am
@naconasong,

i've been getting sports illustrated snail-mailed to me for over 30 years...
Ragman

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:08 am
@naconasong,
When the weather (tropical climate) gets cooler in a few weeks, I'll be using the local public library to read the issues of the magazines I don't read online anymore. Typically, when I got to library, it's Nationa Geo., US News and World Report, People, Utne Reader, etc.
naconasong

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:09 am
@naconasong,
The Library is such a great place I am sorry you do not have it available where you are! WOW you work in a prison I can only imagine what that is like the magazine I mean. The vast read of articles of in that must be amazing. I worked with special needs children and they have so much knowledge. Some are so talented and can write and are artistic and among other things I can imagine that is a very interesting magazine.
You are a wonderful person to have such a job.
naconasong

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:13 am
@Region Philbis,
My son and hubby love that magazine too, not the son with down syndrome but the 35 year old. I think the swim suit issue is his favorite Smile
My hubby loves the football and basketball part and anything with golf my son loves the golf part too but the swim suit issue is still his favorite. Boys will be boys.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:17 am
@naconasong,

at age 13, i didn't even know about the swimsuit issue when i first started reading SI -- added bonus Mr. Green

they've had some brilliant writers over the years, and the photography is always top-notch...
0 Replies

naconasong

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:17 am
@Ragman,
National Geo. is a great one I would love to get that one at home my son with Downs loves the pictures but the price is more than I can afford! I live in a very small town (2 miles long) I am lucky that the Library is in our town and it is so good to get whatever we want and need in. Movies are free and books we can check out and keep out and even renew if we want. It is great. They put on shows and plays for the kids and although my handicapped son is 20 he acts like a child and loves these things and it is great for him all for free.
aidan

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:24 am
@naconasong,
Quote:
The Library is such a great place I am sorry you do not have it available where you are!

I do have a library where I am now - they just don't allow me to check out periodicals.
Quote:

WOW you work in a prison I can only imagine what that is like the magazine I mean. The vast read of articles of in that must be amazing.

It is. In fact, the editor has asked me to write one A4 size side (10 point type size) about New Jersey- the state. Because I grew up there and they want to learn about it. Last month they did a whole thing about the Blues - the month before that they did a feature on Oscar Wilde.
Some of these guys are amazing artists and they have nothing but time on their hands so they really develop their talents and skills. One guy there is perhaps the most talented potter I've ever seen. His stuff is exquisite. Princess Anne even came and attended one of his shows.
Unfortunately, we can't buy anything he makes because he isn't allowed to profit from anything he does while he's in prison (and he's a lifer - he slit his girlfriend's throat).
She didn't die - but he still got life - as well he should I guess. I mean if you slit someone's throat when you get mad that's a sign you shouldn't be walking the streets, right? But whatever he's done in the past - he's a master potter now.

Quote:
You are a wonderful person to have such a job.

And you are so lovely to say such a nice thing. Thank you Laughing
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:37 am
@naconasong,
Perhaps your son could enjoy some of National Geographic online Click here
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 12:30 pm
the only magazine I subscribe to is Cabinet Magazine. I am also a donor to Cabinet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 12:58 pm
@naconasong,
I read a lot of online news, including some magazines, but I still get my favorite, the New Yorker, by regular mail.
jespah

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 01:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I get my alumni and sorority magazines, could probably stand to have both of them go digital. I get Fortune and Boston, could also live with those digitally. Food & Wine is nice in print as I tear out recipes. Games is necessary in print so that I can do the puzzles. I think that's it now.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 01:53 pm
The only magazine I subscribe to is Esquire. They have some really amazing writers who cover a huge range of topics.
roger

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 02:06 pm
@boomerang,
I may look into that, then. Right now, all I take is Forbes. I used to get Consumer Reports and Wired. At renewal time, they both very helpfully saved me the inconvenience of accepting their offer, and charged my credit card. I got the charge removed, and will never subscribe to either again. Also, any new subscriptions are now paid by check, just to squelch such helpfullness in the future.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 02:16 pm
@boomerang,
I used to read Esquire too; it's fallen off my scope. Thanks for the mention..
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:22 pm
@naconasong,
I still read Time on-line occasionally, and I keep thinking that I'm going to get the hard copy delivered.

Until a few years ago, I read a news magazine cover to cover, figuring that the stuff that interested me the least was what I needed to know most about. I can't have that discipline on-line.

At one time I enjoyed the celib magazines...People or Us or whatever. Not having had TV for 12-14 years kinda took the fun outta that. lol
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:24 pm
@aidan,
Quite the variety!

The liberal Stones to the right wing Newsweek! You must be an interesting person.
0 Replies