What magazine do you prefer? Why?

Fri 2 Dec, 2011 08:11 am
I'd like to know what magazines do you prefer to read and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,328 • Replies: 8
Topic Closed
No top replies

MaryNorman

Fri 2 Dec, 2011 08:16 am
Personally, I like Cosmo. It's like a Bible for me. I find loads of usefull info in each issue. Reading it is like talking to a friend.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Fri 2 Dec, 2011 11:26 am
@MaryNorman ,
None at the present time, I just can't be bothered.
0 Replies

RexDraconis111

Fri 2 Dec, 2011 12:14 pm
@MaryNorman ,
When I do read magazines, It's always Game Informer. Being a gamer, I like to stay somewhat in the loop as to what games are new, what games are good, what the columnists think of upcoming games, etc.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 2 Dec, 2011 08:12 pm
@MaryNorman ,
Consumer Reports.

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Fri 2 Dec, 2011 08:25 pm
@MaryNorman ,
Smithsonian, Natural History, Discover, New Yorker, Atlantic Monthly, National Geographic, Time, Saturday Review, a couple of others.

Same reason for all of them -- I like to stay informed and entertained.

Oh, yeah, Playboy sometimes. Used to subscribe but that's years and years and years ago.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 2 Dec, 2011 08:38 pm
The New Yorker. Why? That magazine raised me. I've learned a whole lot of stuff from it.

Favorite garden magazine hands down, Gardens Illustrated, now defunct.

Useful to me when I was learning and which my firm had articles about us in (back then), Sunset Magazine. It's probably still useful in the same way.

Realites - what to call it? - a photography magazine of yore.

Favorite magazine counter -
Hennessey & Ingalls Art and Architecture Book Store in Santa Monica, California.

I used to like Gourmet and its writers and photographers. Have no strong opinion about the recipes, more about the writing and photography. Trying to remember the name of one writer, Laurie.. who also wrote excellent short stories/novellas.
Also now defunct.
Do you see a trend here?

I forgot - Bell'Italia in Italian. Written by people who know a lot about architecture and the sites they are looking at. I've seen it here in the states sometime like, oh, eight years ago, a shadow of its former self.
I've collected these, still have 'em, treasures.
ossobuco

Fri 2 Dec, 2011 08:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Found it - the writer was Laurie Colwin -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurie_Colwin
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 2 Dec, 2011 09:00 pm
I figure this is viral marketing. If so, my post won't be much help on that, and if not, could be interesting for someone who likes magazine history.
Or maybe Mary does like Cosmo. Hmmm, then you might like Laurie Colwin's stories (or not).

I was around at the start of Cosmo, always took it as sort of funny, as I think did HGBrown. It played a role though, in the day, or night, as a magazine.
0 Replies