Annual Subscriptions

antler3

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 04:11 pm
If you subscribe to a service and pay annually, when your annual subscription is up and you don't want to renew it does the company have the right to continue your service and then bill you for it? Then after two months they turn you over to collectors and cancell your subscription because you didn't pay
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,671 • Replies: 7
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 04:15 pm
@antler3,
You need to clarify yourself. Did you notify the company of your desired cancellation by the methods provided in the subscription contract?

If you followed their specific instructions to a T then no, they don't have the right to pursue their case.

If not, then you need to be humble and make an appeal to the company. Hopefully, the customer service/management will have a heart and help you if this is the case.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 04:15 pm
@antler3,
it depends on the subscription agreement, if it's automatically renewed then yes they have the right to do so, it would be your responsibility to cancel the service

roger

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 05:58 pm
@djjd62,
I will mention that Wired Magazine tried this act on me. They renewed the subscription without authorization, and billed my credit card. I talked to them and I talked to Citibank. The charge was deleted.

Customer service at Citibank mentioned that this is the single largest type of received by their complaint resolution people. I refuse to believe that ordering a magazine for a finite time commits one to a lifetime of charges.
djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:07 pm
@roger,
never subscribed to a magazine, but i have a few subs (xm,a digital music service) that are auto renewing each year, it's up to me to keep an eye on them and cancel when i don't want them anymore

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:31 pm
Once upon a time when I was truly and seriously poor I took up an offer for a free trial membership with an expensive, new, literary magazine. After the three month membership was up I did as instructed and wrote "Cancel" across the bill and returned it.

They quit sending the magazine.

But they kept sending the bills.

I kept writing "Cancel", "Please Cancel", "I frikken canceled this five times already", and ... ummmm... other things.

Eventually they turned the bill over to a collection agency.

I sent a letter detailing the situation to the Postmaster of My City. Enclosed a copy of said letter in the next bill and never heard from them again.

I still get totally pissed and feel very poor every time I see that magazine on the newstand.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:33 pm
Most states have a new law concerning "automatic renewals" especially
when it comes to magazines. If there is an automatic renewal clause in your
subscription contract, the company is obligated to send you a letter within
30 days of the date when the subscription ends informing you of the automatic renewal.
If they neglected to do so, they have no recourses whatsoever.
roger

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:58 pm
@CalamityJane,
About cotton pickin time. I will never order another subscription and pay by credit card again. It only encourages their creative marketing.
0 Replies