Grammatical Structure of the English Language

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:59 pm
Good day everyone!

This is my very first humble post on the Able2Know forums! I say humble because I'm asking for help right off the bat with the hopes of being able to contribute later. Basically, I have a love for the english language, and writing in general. Yet I face one serious problem when writing papers or proposals--I was never taught anything about the structure of the language. I know a little about nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc... but I really am just guessing when it comes to comma placement, semi-colons, and the double hyphen up there (whatever it's called).

I've often heard that I was supposed to learn about things like transitions, modifiers, participles and the likes sometime in grade school and high school; I didn't. Basically, I just mimic other "correct" writing styles, but I don't really know whether I'm right or not.

So if anyone could point me in the direction of an online tutorial, or preferably a good book that explains the english grammatical structure, I would be greatly indebted! Thanks y'all!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,311 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Wy

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 09:09 pm
Elements of Style (Grammar) .

My own favorite book for grammar questions is the Chicago Manual of Style, from the University of Chicago... It's about $40-$50, but you could maybe find a used copy if that's too pricey.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:43 am
Hello Malarkey and Welcome.

I also use the Chicago Manual of Style. However, one of my favorite grammar references is a bit unusual. It's the Gregg Reference Manual written by William A. Sabin and published by McGraw-Hill or Glencoe/McGraw-Hill. The manual was originally designed to help secretarial students with their English. It is clear, simple, direct, and wonderfully accessible, with lots of examples.

If it's any consolation, I'm a professional editor and I never learned grammar in school. I learned on the job.

I agree with Wy. You do write well.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:49 am
I liked The Transitive Vampire, by Karen Elizabeth Gordon.

Some good stuff there.
0 Replies