volume goes up

fansy

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 02:16 am
Quote:
“We are talking about such a sizable amount of buying and volume goes up and stocks react strongly one way or the other,” Mr. Bove said. “What I have trouble with is trying to figure out where it’s coming from.”

Can I parse the sentence as follows:
We are talking about ...
and {as a result}
volume goes up
and stocks react strongly ...

and also What does "vlume goes up" mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 701 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:52 am
@fansy,
I hope someone else can help. What I think he is trying to say is that ". . . a sizable amount of buying" causes volume to increase. Here, he is simply repeating himself.

I can't imagine what he is means when he says that ". . . volume goes up and stocks react strongly one way or another." Not a gramatical issue, but he is saying that an increase in the number of shares bought and sold causes share prices to increase or decrease. It may be a true statement or not, but saying share prices will go up or down is not the least bit helpful.

I can't feel that I've been the least bit helpful, but I do share your confusion.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 04:05 am
Quote:
We are talking about such a sizable amount of buying and volume goes up and stocks react strongly one way or the other,” Mr. Bove said. “What I have trouble with is trying to figure out where it’s coming from.”

He might be refering to throughput either at the stockexchange or his own brokerage company.
Obviously if there is a sizeable anount of buying there must be a sizable amount of selling. Stock (prices) react to this volume of buying and or selling.
roger

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 04:10 am
@dadpad,
Could be. I just don't feel that ". . . one way or the other" is especially useful information.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 07:05 am
@fansy,
"Volume" in this sentence means the quantity of stocks traded. If you search for a stock quote, you will see "Volume" listed as the number of shares traded in a given day. "Thin volume" means a quite day with less than normal sales as opposed to "heavy volume" which means the opposite.
fansy

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 07:25 am
@engineer,
Quote:
"Volume" in this sentence means the quantity of stocks traded. If you search for a stock quote, you will see "Volume" listed as the number of shares traded in a given day. "Thin volume" means a quite day with less than normal sales as opposed to "heavy volume" which means the opposite.

What's this "quite day"? Did you mean a quiet day?
engineer

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 08:25 am
@fansy,
Yes, quiet.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 09:01 am
@engineer,

"Thin volume"? What a silly usage.
engineer

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 09:14 am
@McTag,
I don't disagree, but if you search for "thin volume" you'll get lots of hits on financial sites.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:35 am
@McTag,
Yeah, in a big downturn, you can get badly bit by thinly traded stocks.
0 Replies