where would you put the commas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,146 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 08:53 am
I would certainly put a comma after "where." Some people might put a comma after "when," but there has been a trend toward reducing the use of commas in the last 30 or 40 years, so many people might not use the second comma.

" . . . where, when and how he moves around."--works just fine.
JTT

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 10:50 am
@nonplussed1,
There isn't a one size fits all even for commas.

God damn it I said we want to know where when and how he moves around.

Some might want to, might feel that commas were necessary but commas would change what was said and how it was said.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 03:17 pm
Standard English still requires a common separating all but the last item in a list; therefore, it should read "where, when, and how...."
JTT

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 03:22 pm
@jgweed,
The standards of Standard English do not determine all that is English, JG. I'm not even at all sure that rules of punctuation can be considered part of SWE/SFE. If they were there wouldn't be so many different house style/punctuation manuals.
JohnMayer

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 12:13 am
@JTT,
Standards of standard English don’t determine all that is English? No, they don’t regulate aberrant English. The standards are called standards because they’re standard. Most manuals agree on most points. The goal is for publications to be as clear as possible to as many as possible. But no one can make you observe them.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 01:40 am
@Setanta,
I agree with Setanta, I wouldn't put the comma after when either, the and takes care of that.

Did you know Comma was a monk?
0 Replies

seovnts

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 01:42 am
@nonplussed1,

Hanoi ancient city

I still remember the feeling when I first arrived in Hanoi. That was uncomfortable even I was anxious when lost in the streets which was the akin names and horizontally along with dozens of shops are selling the same product category where the restaurants were built as mushroom on the busy roads and vehicles and people moved as loom. However, these feeling gradually passed and instead of love has replaced when I realized life is full of bustling the Hanoi people.

I have an American girl named Jennifer Nielson, she has lived for almost a year working in Hanoi Old Quarter, she said: “at first I was scared when walking in town because I couldn’t go on the pavement and felt as cars to be thrust me, but I have found a " pass " where I could be there all day just to watch the activity occurs. The most interesting thing in town was sat in restaurants or cafes on the second or third floor and looked at the people, cars are moving or looked at the homes where has porch with birds is singing in cages and daily life of the family around the home. At that time make me understand and experience about Hanoi old quarter.

There was an abundance of detail which is included both architecture and human life such as: temples, street vendors, small streets, markets and sidewalk cafes. Foreigners who come to Hanoi as caught up in a land of endless dishes, from traditional dishes of Vietnam such as grilled pork with noodle “bun cha”, Noodles soup “Pho “, fish soup “Chao ca” and noodles and fish” bun ca” … in the small restaurants on the pavement to the shoulder fighting street vendors selling duck eggs, fried cake, noodles and snails, tofu noodles and shrimp sauce, crab vermicelli mixture. In order to serve foreign tourists, the restaurants eventually coming up with all sorts of food imported from abroad as French toast, pasta and Italian pizza, Japanese sushi, green curry chicken or Thai soup, beef steak or French, Korean’s Kim Chi. The old Town is very special for me, it's like a general store with a huge area where merchants and craftsmen with a commodity business - something I can not see the United States.

One important event had related to Old quarter as I knew that was event from 1994 when Vietnam National Administration of Tourism opened the door and encouraged the tourism developed. This working had changed the face of older quarter as restaurants, hotels were built and travel agencies were established every where with variety different tours option. Absolutely as good result, the number of foreigner comes to Vietnam increasingly larger and they aren’t impossible to stay in older quarter for few days in their itinerary obviously. All of things are constituted the source energy which of rising smokeless industry and making Vietnam and Hanoi older quarter becomes new destinations of the millennium.

0 Replies