Pay by credit card

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 05:51 pm
Can anybody tell me why we say "pay by credit card" instead of "pay by A credit card" ? Why we say that without "a" article? Thanks a lot!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,515 • Replies: 3
No top replies

JTT

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 06:23 pm
@desertrose,
Quote:
Can anybody tell me why we say "pay by credit card" instead of "pay by A credit card" ? Why we say that without "a" article? Thanks a lot!

We say it that way because it describes a general manner of payment; pay by check/credit card/debit card.

A specific reference to such a payment would see the preposition changed to 'with',

pay with a credit card/with cash/with a debit card/pay with a check
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 06:31 pm
@desertrose,
That's probably the best answer you will get.

I have always been annoyed when someone says the want "a coffee", instead of "a cup of coffee", or "some coffee". Still, I don't hesitate to say I want "a Coke." That's just how it is.
JTT

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 08:12 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I have always been annoyed when someone says the want "a coffee", instead of "a cup of coffee", or "some coffee". Still, I don't hesitate to say I want "a Coke."

The spoken language sees a great deal of elision, Roger. No need to be annoyed by something that's as natural as, ... say, talking.

Your examples are not defined by the same language parameters as those of the OP.
0 Replies