Fun ‘n sun?

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:19 pm
at a South Beach hotspot. $969 - $5000 per month.

TIA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 911 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Monger

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 01:25 pm
It's being used as an abbreviation for "and" -- Fun and sun.

One very minor thing: That's supposed to be an apostrophe in front of the n. It was incorrectly converted to an open single quote mark by the autocorrect function of a program such as Microsoft Word. (MS Word always does that when you begin a word with an apostrophe.)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 02:59 pm
Yup, what Monger said.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:59 pm
Well, just to be extra picky, there should be two apostrophes -- one for each letter that was left out of the full word. So: Fun 'n' Sun...
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 03:46 am
Thank you all. Smile

Regarding apostrophe, Wy used tow short horizontal line in his post, and I always used it like Wy does; while there was someone told me should use a long horizontal line. I don't know if he was right. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 03:46 am
Thank you all. Smile

Regarding usage of dash, Wy used tow short horizontal line in his post, and I always used it like Wy does; while there was someone told me should use a long horizontal line. I don't know if he was right. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:31 am
Hiya Oristar, Apostrophes are one short little mark, just as they are shown here. In some typefaces, the apostrophe curves in (to the left). But it's always one short mark.

Dashes vary. Two hyphens (--) are the equivalent of one dash, called an em dash. My word processing program will automatically turn two hyphens into one dash. BTW, the dash is called an em dash because it's the width of a capital M.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 08:30 am
Roberta wrote:
Hiya Oristar, Apostrophes are one short little mark, just as they are shown here. In some typefaces, the apostrophe curves in (to the left). But it's always one short mark.

Yeah, but in Oristar's post it was curving the other way (to the right), which is why I mentioned it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 08:43 am
Monger, I just took a second look. You're right, of course.

Oristar, That's the strangest apostrophe I've ever seen.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 09:12 am
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 12:38 am
Wy, En dashes instead of hyphens? I thought en dashes were used for ranges (15-20 years ago) and for some complex hyphenation issues. I'm using hyphens for hyphenated words and phone numbers.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:27 pm
Hi Roberta,
Hyphens for end-of-line, mid-word breaks; dashes for you-know, where dashes go; and en dashes for everything else. Ranges like 4-5 years? That would be ens too, theoretically. Nobody does it, tho, beyond some publishers (and a couple of picky proofreaders). Feel free to carry on with hyphens...
0 Replies