outdoor electrical outlet

vmc

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 11:12 am
My outlets are extremely difficult to pull a plug out of. I need to plug and unplug my pump cords often, and it takes considerable wiggling to get the plug free. I have actually broken the ground post off in the outlet at one point. I'm assuming that the situation is caused by dirt, so I need to know if I can use something to clean the outlet. The plugs do not seem to be corroded or dirty.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,854 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 11:22 am
@vmc,
Why not just replace them and be safer? Replacement outlets cost as little as $12.

http://www.amazon.com/5839-7-OUTDOOR-WEATHERPROOF-OUTLET-RECETICLE/dp/B000EVCG2U/ref=sr_1_7/188-1103729-6418627?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1282929621&sr=1-7

If you are comfortable doing the replacement yourself, here's a how-to video:

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 11:25 am
@vmc,
I have no idea why the pump or appliance has/have no off-on switch, but I'll procede and answer the question at hand.

The outlet most lilkely has a problem with dirt or corrosion or else the removal of a plug should be a piece of cake. (There's a chance of some mechanical failure due to aging, but read on.)

Shut off the power to your outlet (close circuit-breaker at the circuit breaker panel). Get an emery cloth or thin flat file and scrape and file off the corrosion and remove the dirt as there's some corrosion or dirt in the socket. Clean out thoroughly.

If that fails, go to Home Depot or home improvement hardware store and replace the outlet. If you are uncomfy replacing, then hire an electrician to replace the outlet.

The power outlet that has broken (safety?) ground should be replaced.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 04:29 am
@vmc,

if/when you do replace the outlets, get covers for them...
Ragman

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 06:19 am
@Region Philbis,
I was going to add the same comment. Without (unbroken) bubble covers, the outlets are being exposed to the elements, inviting corrosion and dirt/dust/salt/acid rain.
0 Replies