Is it bad to plug a surge protector strip to a wall surge protector?

Jay1294

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 10:56 am
I believe the wall protector is a Belkin with 6 outlets. The strip protector says Surge Havk on it with 6 outlets. I am running a PS4 through the strip and the strip is running from the wall surge protector. My question is this a bad thing to do and is it a hazard? I have a lot of things to be plugged in so if my current setup is a hazard could someone tell me a non hazardous solution that will still allow me to have at least 12 outlets to use.

engineer

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 12:33 pm
@Jay1294,
Yes, it is bad. UL specifically recommends you do not chain power strips and OSHA considers this a safety violation in the workplace. You should plug both power outlets into directly into the wall.
Jay1294

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 01:58 pm
@engineer,
Okay thanks for the clarification. Yes I started getting concerned when my PS4 started shutting off on it's own lately. Customer support said it could be due to lack of power reaching the system so when I looked it up I read that chaining surge protectors together can cause devices to not receive proper power. Your response made it clear I need to change my setup.
roger

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 04:47 pm
@Jay1294,
I guess I do, too. I've been using surge protectors as a multi outlet extension cord.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 09:36 pm
@engineer,
Is there a specific reason why we shouldn't do this? I've heard it claimed before, but I've never heard a "reason why" that made much sense.

I've always plugged an expensive UPS (with a built in surge protector) into a cheap (well made but small) surge protector.
0 Replies

taopathway

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2018 09:36 am
@Jay1294,
lol I had that same set up with my xbox 360 and ps3 TV and speakers, and when I would turn my fan light on the tv and ps3 would blink off for a second and come back on without resetting. I eventually just cut out new holes in my sheet rock put new boxes wires and tripled my receptacles so each device had a plug and I no longer get those little power dips
0 Replies