New outlet doesn't have LOAD/CHARGE - can i replace?

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 11:30 am
Hi guys,

I want to replace an outlet. The old one has LOAD/CHARGE in and out but the new one doesn't have that. What should I do?
See pics:
https://s31.postimg.org/sx8bm5qy3/Full_Size_Render.jpg
https://s32.postimg.org/bhp8514qd/Full_Size_Render_1.jpg

Is it possible to replace the old outlet with the new one?

Thanks,
Rich
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,240 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 11:57 am
Depending on the location and the usage of the receptacle, you may or may not be legally allowed to replace a 5-15R GFI duplex receptacle with a non GFCI 5-15R GFI duplex receptacle. The fact that the non GFCI 5-15R GFI duplex receptacle has USB charging ports is not the concern in this case.

Where do you live and where exactly is the receptacle located?
rediffusion

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 11:59 am
@Chumly,
Hi Chumly,
Thanks for answering.
I'm in Connecticut.
The outlet is next to the oven in the kitchen.

Is that enough info?

Thanks,
Rich
rediffusion

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 12:02 pm
@Chumly,
These are the wires connected to the old outlet:

https://s31.postimg.org/jmw7iqiu3/Full_Size_Render.jpg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 12:13 pm
@rediffusion,
No, I would need to know what other receptacles are on the same circuit, the proximity to a sink or toilet, why are changing it, if the receptacle’s location constitutes part of the kitchen counter, the quantity and AWG size of the conductors in the box, the size and type of the circuit protection devices, etc.

Photos and measurements would be well advised, however unless you know exactly what you are doing and have all the correct tools, I urge you to hire a pro. Given it’s clear you do not have such skills I am not going to advise you further, sadly.

If you are not going to hire a pro I urge you to get a proper book on the subject, and then contact you local electrical inspector to confirm it meets NEC requirements.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 12:43 pm
@Chumly,
It gets complex doesn't it
0 Replies

rediffusion

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 01:56 pm
@Chumly,
OK, thanks for the advice. I'll wait until I can get a pro to take a look at it.
Thanks for taking the time to answer Wink
engineer

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2016 02:12 pm
@rediffusion,
But as a general statement, the GFI outlet is there to protect you in case of a ground and pulling it out is not a good idea. That outlet was probably put there for a reason. You probably chose that outlet to replace because it is in a convenient spot, but you should chose a non-GFI outlet instead.
0 Replies