Power surge destruction and bad smells.

NekoLee

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 04:19 pm
2 days ago we had a bad power surge due to a generator. Wireless phones, my computer and a TV were destroyed. But out of all areas that took the worst hit was my room. When the generator was turned on, it didn't light my room up, instead caused 2 flashes and popping sounds and a horrid odor around my computer. The outlets still work, but they still smell. It's a really weird smell, kinda like ink or paint. I added a bowl of vinegar in my room which seemed to clear most of it up but putting your nose up to the outlets still stink, the one where the popping happened is a little heavier in odor, lingering out more.
What's strange is that most of the effected electronics were using surge protectors. Why would they cook out like that?
Also I REALLY need to know if it's possible that the walls of my house are burning. Theres no smoke, outlets and walls are cool, and they work, although I have nothing plugged into them as of now because I'm still worried. They still stink though.
You may be wondering why I haven't contacted an electrician, well, this is my parents home, they think everythings ok....sigh.

Thank you for any help!!!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 484 • Replies: 0
No top replies